How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Frosty » Wed 31 May 2017, 1:28 pm

mb27 wrote:so you can ride in cooler weather. i am guessing you had enough layers on to survive a blizzard at base camp on everest :)
Good to see you have been riding Frosty, alot!! a that Jay joined you for a ride. My two pbly won't come for a ride but i have had some help from them renovating the house recently. my daughter is always happy to come for the occasional ride. She is thinking of the Great vic with next year?

G'day Matty,
Weather here is a bit hard to take. :) Just to make you feel good, we have a forecast of rain on Friday.

Lukey did the GVBR with his school for the first time and then for the next 2 years, I did it with both my boys and one of their mates. It was a magic time. then I did another 6 without them and it was still magic.
DO it with Steph, you will love it.

ridinwithdale

Postby ridinwithdale » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:14 am

at last after 10 weeks off the bike, i was ready to brave melbounes weather.....

think i even saw someone sitting off the side of the road taking pictures......paging frosty????? :P :roll:

madatory post ride refreshment..... :lol:

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:02 pm

Hi Dale,

Jay and I had to put up with this crappy weather this morning.
It was tights weather. At 8:00am it was 16.3 and gusting 9kph from the South West. BUT we soldiered on. :lol:

wagger and others, I only had time to take this photo, as Jay doesn't stop for long, hence why my average speed was
21.1kph instead of 17kph.

We left camp at 5:46am (sh!t that is early) and headed to my Northerly turnaround point at Lands End, then out to the Spit. Back along Seaworld Drive heading through Surfers, Broadbeach and to my Southerly turnaround point, out the front of Robbies cafe (Jay had never seen it, Robbie wasn't there, otherwise, if he was, I would introduce Jay to him - dads do that embarassing stuff, even when your son is 35yo). Heading back to camp, stopping at Surfers for my daily weather photo and arriving back at camp at 8:20am after 48.7kms.

An absolutely pearler of a day with the BEST company (my little boy). :D

My riding stats: Today's ride of 48.7kms is my 22nd ride at Southport for a total of 717.4kms on the Gold Coast.

Frosty on the Gold Coast.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

Typical 'pearler' of a day on the Gold Coast - 17-22degs gentle breeze.

Click on the photo to display a larger photo.

Broadwater Tourist park - Lands End - Southport YC - Robbies Cafe - Burleigh Heads - Surfers - The Spit - cafe Rockpool - back to camp.

My riding stats: Today's ride of 57.9kms is my 23rd ride at Southport for a total of 775.3kms on the Gold Coast.

Photo 1 at 9:55am - At Burleigh Heads Bluff.

Photo 2 at 10:32am 21.0 degs 16kph S - My 'weather' photo taken at Surfers.

Photo 3 at 10:33am - the Q One building - rather nice.

victor

Postby victor » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

Mt Dandenong for me this morning, although it was hard getting started, given I left at 6:35am and it doesn't start getting light until 7am. It was also freezing cold (my Garmin GPS said it got down to -0.5°C during my ride to the mountain). I did 3 ascents: The Basin to Sky High, Mt Evelyn *** to Sky High and Monbulk to Olinda, then headed home. Total was 88.5km and 1775m climbing.

*** or at least, the bottom of Inverness Rd appears to be in Mt Evelyn, according to the maps. On my way down to Montrose from Sky High, I decided I'd turn onto Inverness Rd, ride to the bottom of it, then turn around and ride back up it. Not being a glutton for punishment, exactly, but I will be in the European Alps in 1.5 weeks, and that's seriously hilly stuff, as I noticed last September.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:43 pm

This morning, a repeat of Saturday's ride, with the same distance and climbing. My legs feel even better now.
I was pretty annoyed with the motorists, though: they were at their impatient, intolerant and aggressive worst. It just made me look forward to Italy and France even more: I'll be in Italy by Wednesday next week.

Also, if I keep up these rides over this week (I'm already on leave), I might even start getting used to riding up Inverness Rd! :shock:

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Did a two day trip with a few friends on Sunday & Monday. The plan was to train to Bendigo, ride the O'Keefe rail trail to Heathcote, overnight in a pub, then make our way to Tallarook to get the train back to Melb. However VLine running replacement buses changed plans, so we rode back to Craigieburn, to train back to Melb.

I have to say, getting a train to start a weekend adventure is a lot of fun. The work they have done on the O'Keefe rail trail is excellent. First stop was the Axedale for lunch at the pub. This place was fantastic, great food, craft beer and a great atmosphere. Onwards to Heathcote , unfortunately the pubs there did not have the same atmosphere.

This morning we had a great brekky at the local bakery, then made our way in the cold air, LOTS of layers were worn, it was COLD!! Lots of gravel roads today, whenever possible we stayed off highways and looked for a gravel alternative.

The highlight of today was riding along the Old Sydney Road, a magnificent gravel road that meanders through the hills a few kilometers parallel to the freeway. Up & down, lots of times. What a great road to ride.

All up 170 km on the CX bikes.
Thanks to my travelling companions, lots of fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:42 am

That sounds really good Heather, where did you overnight?

victor

Postby victor » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 1:41 pm

I only did the first 2 out of the 3 climbs this morning, but otherwise identical to Saturday's and yesterday's rides. I would have done all 3, but I've developed a saddle-sore which can't be ignored, i.e. there's no comfortable sitting position. :( I might have to skip tomorrow's ride to give it a day off. It's a pity, because I think I was actually getting used to riding up Inverness Rd.

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

Had the day off work today and needed more coffee beans. Rode to Lilydale via Upper Beaconsfield, Emerald, Avonsleigh, Yellingbo, Seville, and the rail trail. Picked up 2kg of coffee beans and returned home via Maroondah Hwy, Dorset Rd, and the Dandy Creek/Eastlink paths. A very nice ride, with the exception of a rear tyre puncture near Elephant rock.
Dave
Bianchi Via Nirone
Merida Scultura EVO 904

Heather

Postby Heather » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:16 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:That sounds really good Heather, where did you overnight?

Stayed at a pub in Heathcote. It was...ok. Both pubs in town didn't impress us at all, we ended up getting some decent beers from the IGA to have with Pizza from the local takeaway for dinner.
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

Yesterday...First ride for eight weeks or so. (Canada - Alaska holiday is my excuse.)

Joined the Diamond Creek trail at Eltham, then MYT to Heidelberg, turned onto the side trail into Viewbank, then Banyule Rd (?) back to the Plenty Trail at Lower Plenty, home to Briar Hill via Monmorency. About 26 km all up, lovely day for a ride. legs appreciated the gentle re-introduction to the trike. Plenty of cyclists on the trails, a big school group of teens in Westerfolds Park was my informal cheer squad. :)

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

Yesterday's ride was a typical 'pearler' of a day on the Gold Coast - 18-22degs gentle breeze.

Click on the photo to display a larger photo.

Broadwater Tourist park - Southport YC - Robbies Cafe - Burleigh Heads - Surfers - The Spit - cafe Rockpool - Lands End - back to camp.

My riding stats: Yesterday's ride of 58.4kms was my 27th ride at Southport for a total of 945.4kms on the Gold Coast.

Photo 1 at 9:59am - The view from Burleigh Heads bluff.

Photo 2 at 10:35am - Yesterday's weather photo from Surfers.

Photo 3 at 11:09am - Surfers from the Spit.

BellfieldBike

Postby BellfieldBike » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:46 pm

Rolled around the streets of Preston Coburg Nth on my way home, nice silent roads and some hills to keep me interested, was looking for the Merri Creek but missed the turn off so amused myself on some less travelled roads.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm

Today's rec ride was cold. Barely went above 10 degrees and mostly at 8 degrees. Channel 2 said it was the coldest day in 11 months. Still good to be out and about even if some older folk I encountered on bikes ride on my side on blind corners and steep down hills. :roll:

Return to “Cycling discussion”