So where is everyone wanting to go?

clipperton

Re: So where is everyone wanting to go?

Postby clipperton » Wed 18 Jul 2018, 7:48 am

HughieP wrote:
Canuck wrote:Have only ever seen photos... More, please, hehe.

Serendipitously, the good folk at Adventure Cycling just sent me through this link with some excellent photos of the Pamir.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/the-pamir-highway-a-solo-ride-across-the-barren-heart-of-central-asia/

digest version of what i posted in commuters - took the bike in for a final service and they found two cracks in the frame. panic mode, but vivente have got a replacement on the way (warranty status to be determined later) which should arrive tomorrow. phew!
Clipperton plays tennis with the Glock 17 held steadily to his left temple.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Wed 18 Jul 2018, 1:13 pm

That would be panic mode and certainly stuffing around that you don't need this close to your adventure. Better to find the cracks now rather than when you are off in the middle of nowhere.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Thu 19 Jul 2018, 11:22 am

The ACA sending me more distraction when I am supposed to be doing work.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2017/06/600-miles-saddle/
http://eldoradoexperience.org/chapter/a-line-through-the-wilderness/

Am also deep in the middle of planning for my next adventure across the US. An old fashioned diagonales from San Diego through to Bar Harbour in Maine. Southern Tier Route from San Diego through to MIssissipi then a left hand turn up the Natchez Trace Parkway through to Nashville. Then will pick up PA Bicycle Route V through to the Atlantic Coast and the final ACA route up to Bar Harbour. Looking forward to the loneliness of the open road and being able to eat way more of all the wrong foods than anyone ever thought possible.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 19 Jul 2018, 8:19 pm

HughieP wrote: Looking forward to the loneliness of the open road and being able to eat way more of all the wrong foods than anyone ever thought possible.

:D Sounds great!
Is this soon, or still hatching stage?

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 9:24 am

https://www.rferl.org/a/tajikistan-four-foreign-cyclists-killed-three-injured-in-hit-and-run-in-southern-tajikistan/29396956.html

not good. according to a tajik colleague at work the response has been swift and extreme - tourism is a major strategic goal for the government, and cyclotourism is recognised as being of great importance.

according to my colleague there was more to this than just an accident - sounds like when the driver was accosted there was a gunfight with 2 other passengers.

i'm now trying to decide whether to tell my wife or not.

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 1:26 pm

told my wife, she's freaking out.

looking at options now if i have to pull the pin - i fly in and out of istanbul (before tajikistan) so considering a ride across greece (visit some of my wife's relatives) then ferry and up to rome.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 1:59 pm

Canuck wrote:
HughieP wrote: Looking forward to the loneliness of the open road and being able to eat way more of all the wrong foods than anyone ever thought possible.

:D Sounds great!
Is this soon, or still hatching stage?

Still hatching but going to be soon. Because of the heat on the Southern Tier and the Chances of cold wet miserable weather on the Northern Tier, there is really only a limited window to make this happen. I think a late September start from San Diego and hope that things stay nice from the Natchez north.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 2:07 pm

clipperton wrote:told my wife, she's freaking out.

looking at options now if i have to pull the pin - i fly in and out of istanbul (before tajikistan) so considering a ride across greece (visit some of my wife's relatives) then ferry and up to rome.

Whilst it isn't me having to make the decision and trying to keep someone else on board, I would stick with the original plan. As you say, it is a once off and the country and it's people really want cyclists.

By the same token, a ride across Greece would be fantastic. I have a mate who on his round the world trip considered his riding through Greece and then up through the Balkans as one of the absolute highlights.

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm

HughieP wrote:
clipperton wrote:told my wife, she's freaking out.

Whilst it isn't me having to make the decision and trying to keep someone else on board, I would stick with the original plan. As you say, it is a once off and the country and it's people really want cyclists.

By the same token, a ride across Greece would be fantastic. I have a mate who on his round the world trip considered his riding through Greece and then up through the Balkans as one of the absolute highlights.

i hear ya - see how things go tonight, i've got until thursday but would want to apply for the visa and sort out a flight from rome back to istanbul tomorrow if that's the go.

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 7:37 am

IS have now claimed responsibility, not that there's anything shocking in that. my wife is still ok with me going, but raised the question of how i'd enjoy the trip if every time a car came up behind me i got the jitters.
i've basically gotta decide today and it's eating me up.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 9:06 am

In the news this morning. It's a tough decision to make.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/fo ... 4zuiw.html

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 11:32 am

pulled the pin - heading to turkey, greece and italy instead.

A shame, but i feel immense relief.

victor

Postby victor » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

clipperton wrote:pulled the pin - heading to turkey, greece and italy instead.

Sounds like it will be fun anyway.
For me, it's exactly 5 weeks until I fly to France, to spend 4 weeks cycling through the Pyrénées. Not proper cycle touring, though: I'll spend 2 weeks at a cycling B&B, then 2 weeks at another, so all my trips will be outwards and then back to the B&B. I'll still cover a lot of the Pyrénées cols, though.

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 6:40 pm

victor wrote:
clipperton wrote:pulled the pin - heading to turkey, greece and italy instead.

Sounds like it will be fun anyway.
For me, it's exactly 5 weeks until I fly to France, to spend 4 weeks cycling through the Pyrénées. Not proper cycle touring, though: I'll spend 2 weeks at a cycling B&B, then 2 weeks at another, so all my trips will be outwards and then back to the B&B. I'll still cover a lot of the Pyrénées cols, though.

sounds amazing!

i now need to figure out some sort of a route from istanbul to rome, as well as emptying out my bags and figuring out what can stay at home now - solar panels, water purification gear, sleeping bag liner, some of the cold weather gear (though that spine of italy is a little bit lumpy, isn't it?).

2 days to plan, what could possibly go wrong!

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:14 am

so i survived istanbul to rome. was far less arduous than the pamirs would have been, but i still managed to make it seem difficult. got extremely crook off a dodgy chicken kebab i ate in istanbul that came home to roost (pardon the pun) a couple of days later combined with heatstroke and exhaustion, and saw me collapsed in the middle of the road, 200 metres from the hotel i'd booked at unable to move. a passing motorist helped me by calling the hotel and arranging for them to send a van to get me. from 200 metres away. after a 90km day. so i ended up stuck in a town called tekirdag for 4 days, unable to keep food down. still, 5 star hotel, $70 a night.
the north of greece was great - i speak some greek and look about as ungreek as one can, so got the lovely jaws on the floor moment in small villages as i rolled into town, sat down in the local cafe and proceeded to start speaking greek. it made paying for drinks challenging sometimes, which was lovely.
the east coast of italy (brindisi to pescara) was a bit meh, i gotta say. there was stuff going on at home that might have contributed to me feeling a little bit rushed and not focused on the trip, but by and large it was pancake flat with beaches that were either crap, or private. the food was spectacular though, and the little villages and towns are stunning. pescara is gorgeous, i'd go back there.
the guts of italy from pescara to rome was great, some really fun descents. italian drivers (excluding rome) are the most considerate i've ever encountered.

didn't see many other tourers in turkey, but got lots of thumbs up from other cyclists. in greece i saw quite a few after i went past alexandroupoli, while in italy i encountered far more roadies, some of whom appreciated me drafting them, and some who seemed to react like somebody had put a firecracker in their knicks.

couple of photos for the hell of it. i assume folks here will be more understanding than non-cycling friends of the fact that the subject of most photos is the bike, and not me.

the hotel where i spent 4 days crook

the worst road i've ever "ridden". 4 hours of pushing the bike in 35 degrees plus, constantly watching over my shoulder as i was in wolf territory.

kavala old town, i stayed in a place up to the right, and the road got steeper than that, probably 20% on cobblestones or so

google maps kept sending me down "roads" that really weren't. this sandy mess saw me unloading the bike so that i could ferry the panniers up the hill. a lot of the time these detours would see you back on the same, perfectly good road about 2 kms later, but would involve an hour of pushing the bike. later on i downloaded an app called kommot that all the germans i met (isn't it always?) were raving about. it's pretty damn good, i recommend it, but $30 in case you're feeling frugal.

eagle eyed viewers may note the front rack bag has disappeared - i sent it and some other gear back home as i wasn't coping with the hills.

and yes, i still laugh at fart jokes.

not much says "you've made it to rome" more than stumbling across this.

Return to “Bike Touring”