So where is everyone wanting to go?

HughieP

Re: So where is everyone wanting to go?

Postby HughieP » Wed 24 May 2017, 7:24 am

That actually looks really, really nice. Even though you are getting some good cycling in, I imagine that this tour could cost you a good 4 or 5kg with some of the great food over in that part of Europe. I have never been further East than Vienna but I did read a fascinating account of a guy who navigated down the Danube In his boat and anyway, I am very jealous. Good luck and enjoy.

jvb

Postby jvb » Thu 25 May 2017, 6:36 pm

HughieP wrote:That actually looks really, really nice. Even though you are getting some good cycling in, I imagine that this tour could cost you a good 4 or 5kg with some of the great food over in that part of Europe. I have never been further East than Vienna but I did read a fascinating account of a guy who navigated down the Danube In his boat and anyway, I am very jealous. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks.
Not too worried about the food, more about the fact that we will be riding through "cheap beer country". I'm pretty fed up with paying $12 for a pint in Melbourne.
I'll try to put some photos up if this forum works on a mobile platform.

vitellan

Postby vitellan » Fri 26 May 2017, 11:32 am

My father (late 70's) is now in Austria doing this ride solo. Organized it all himself using a guide book following the river all the way.
Started at the head waters of the Danube in Donaueschingen Germany going all the way to Budapest
Occasionally updating this web page
http://www.geriatricbackpacker.net/

victor

Postby victor » Mon 29 May 2017, 7:51 am

I'm off to the European Alps in just over 3 weeks. I don't know whether the purists would call it a "tour", though, because it's supported by a bicycle tour company.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon 29 May 2017, 10:00 am

victor wrote:I'm off to the European Alps in just over 3 weeks. I don't know whether the purists would call it a "tour", though, because it's supported by a bicycle tour company.

I've done a few euro trips with bike tour companies - a great way to do it if you're not up for the self-supported way of touring.

Tour groups are very time efficient and let you concentrate on just enjoying the trip and the riding with like-minded fellow travellers.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

jvb

Postby jvb » Mon 29 May 2017, 3:38 pm

vitellan wrote:My father (late 70's) is now in Austria doing this ride solo. Organized it all himself using a guide book following the river all the way.
Started at the head waters of the Danube in Donaueschingen Germany going all the way to Budapest

Thanks for that.
Had a look at his travels so far. Makes for good reading.
He will be in Budapest well before we leave so it will be interesting to read about his experience.
May do the first leg to Vienna next year if SWMBO is interested.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Mon 29 May 2017, 3:41 pm

vitellan wrote:My father (late 70's) is now in Austria doing this ride solo. Organized it all himself using a guide book following the river all the way.

Yeah, looks fantastic. I hope I am doing something like that in my late 70s.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Mon 29 May 2017, 3:52 pm

victor wrote:I'm off to the European Alps in just over 3 weeks. I don't know whether the purists would call it a "tour", though, because it's supported by a bicycle tour company.

It's all people riding bikes Victor.

victor

Postby victor » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:58 pm

HughieP wrote:

It's all people riding bikes Victor.

Exactly.
One of the climbs I'm looking forward to is Passo del Mortirolo in Italy:
http://www.climbbybike.com/climbs_selec ... =Mortirolo
In this supported tour, I have the option of climbing it from Grozio (easier) or Mazzo (harder): According to the ClimbByBike web site, the climb from Mazzo is tougher than Mt Baw Baw east of Melbourne, which I've ridden up once.
After Mortirolo, we'll be riding up the south side of Passo di Gavia, then back to our start point of Bormio. Should be a fun day. :)

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:20 pm

victor wrote:One of the climbs I'm looking forward to is Passo del Mortirolo in Italy:
In this supported tour, I have the option of climbing it from Grozio (easier) or Mazzo (harder): According to the ClimbByBike web site, the climb from Mazzo is tougher than Mt Baw Baw east of Melbourne, which I've ridden up once.
After Mortirolo, we'll be riding up the south side of Passo di Gavia, then back to our start point of Bormio. Should be a fun day. :)

Rode that loop back in 2012 via Mazzo. The Mortirolo is like Baw Baw, just twice the length! :D

Was a miserable day when I rode it, so had to stay seated on the steeper sections to keep traction!

Gavia

The start of the Gavia climb is listed as from Ponte di Legno. But be prepared there is an extra 15.5km of climbing after the descent of the Mortirolo to Ponte di Legno.

Also take a good front light for a long unlit tunnel on the Gavia climb, or you can take the rough gravel remains of the original road like I did... Personal suggestion is to take lights as the old road railing is twine in places! :shock:

http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/mortirolo-and-passo-dello-gavia-19th.html

victor

Postby victor » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:24 pm

Dalai wrote:
victor wrote:One of the climbs I'm looking forward to is Passo del Mortirolo in Italy:

Rode that loop back in 2012 via Mazzo. The Mortirolo is like Baw Baw, just twice the length! :D

Was a miserable day when I rode it, so had to stay seated on the steeper sections to keep traction!

Great photos! Now I'm looking forward to it even more. What month did you do the ride? I'll be doing it on June 25th, so hopefully the weather will be nice and summery (but yes, I know it can be unpredictable that high up).

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

Was middle of September as it was snuck in as part of a non cycling holiday.

It was risky trying that late in the season, but the weather is as you say unpredictable that high up regardless the season. Showing the unpredictability, the day prior for the Stelvio double was perfect! Bonus of riding there late in the season meant less cars and motorbikes on the Stelvio which was nice. 8-)

Prato side

Refuge at 7km to go - from here you see rest of the climb. Great if you have something left in the tank, not so great if you don't.

Looking back down that same section with the Refuge just visible.

Bormio side

Very jealous Victor. Have a great trip!

victor

Postby victor » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

I'll be riding up both sides of the Stelvio on June 24, the day before the Mortirolo / Gavia loop. The Stelvio loop will be: Bormio, Stelvio, down the Umbrail Pass, east to the Italian border, then to Prato, then back up to Stelvio, then back to Bormio. Should be fun!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:36 pm

They've had great spring weather there this year, so far...

Last year I rode Bormio-Stelvio-Bormio-Gavia-Ponte di Legno on July 7th and the weather was great for the most part, just a chilly wind and some misty drizzle on Gavia later in the day.

Traffic wasn't too bad either. Lots more on Stelvio, Gavia was pretty deserted by comparison.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

That is the Stelvio double Ioop I did Victor.

Section of the Umbrail Pass was still gravel when I rode it, but has now been sealed. Was interesting riding the short section over in Switzerland - noticeable difference in the building design.

Return to “Bike Touring”