So where is everyone wanting to go?

HughieP

So where is everyone wanting to go?

Postby HughieP » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

So anyone have big plans for touring? Or even just dreaming of far off foreign climes? Not very motivated by work at the moment. Life of a bicycle hobo is looking good.

weg

Re: So where is everyone wanting to go?

Postby weg » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 3:51 pm

Outer Hebrides, Scotland, TD, Utah, Colorado, Alaska, bits of Canada, bit more Oz, Morocco, Russia, Hawaii climb, Teide. Walks too? Cradle, Appalachian, Muir, PCT, maybe Camino, walk to Tatts and buy correct ticket. Or sell up.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 4:19 pm

Not "big" in terms of say following the likes of GJ Coop but then that is still a dream for retirement, but I hope to take a second, more adventurous shot at riding from Esperance to Albany (Western Australia). The idea with this ride which will be on my Salsa Mukluk fatbike is stick to 4WD tracks, beaches and dirt roads as much possible and wherever possible to avoid the highways. Looking at around 14 days give or take a day or so.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:10 am

Oh excellent. Esperance to Albany sounds fantastic, perfect for the Mukluk. And weg, I think you need two tatts tickets. I did have to google Teide. Not helping my work motivation. Yell out when you are cycling in Russia, I'll tag along, and across into Finland and Norway. Have to avoid Sweden of course with the terrorism. Sad. I'm also thinking a lot about South America again, this time south from Santiago. Would also love to do some cycling (and eating) in Mexico and bits of South East Asia and maybe up through Japan and China. Have been reading a fair bit about cycling in South Africa and some nice quiet dirt roads way down south there along with some big hills and um Stellenbosch. Closer to home, Tasmania's central highlands again at a more leisurely pace and pretty much the whole of the North half of the state. I would love to stitch together a unsealed round the state route.

Black Knight

Postby Black Knight » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 2:22 pm

A journey through Europe. Would possibly mean that I have to pack in the job, sell up the house and become a cycling hobo for awhile, but what the heck, you only live once right?! Would give me an opportunity to do a certain climb that I didn't complete the first time round, (does it count if you ride up but not down?) as well as providing an opportunity to catch up with some old friends whilst also taking in the sights....

Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes. Suppose it's not a good thing to be thinking about whilst at work is it? :lol: :lol:

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 4:23 pm

I'm still light on for motivation for anything at the moment. :(

Though still would like to give the Tour Divide a go in the next couple of years. And perhaps the Munda Biddi Trail at some point...

weg

Postby weg » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm

Do not follow rmdub on Ig: you'd hate it. ;) Kyrgyzstan looks good too but I'm not brave enough for that. Have to steer clear of Bowling Green too.

Now that 3 in 10 Republicans are fond of Putin, we could claim to be American for some extra safety. Although a Russian guy I used to chat to said it would be quite dangerous if any baddies thought you were Aussie for some silly idea we're worthwhile hostages. They wouldn't get $5 out of my son for me.

I figured Teide was an easy bonus on the back of a Moroccan loop. There's a video around here that piqued interest. Will see if I can find it. I wouldn't bother going just for the climb though. But mixed reports about safety in Morocco too. If only everyone could get along. :| I'd settle for riding around the block ATM though.

Do it Dalai! I reckon you'd love TD. I'll keep Munda Biddi for old age.

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 5:47 pm

Looking at riding along the Danube this European summer.
Maybe Vienna - Budapest or something like that.
Is cheaper than the GVBR.

Black Knight

Postby Black Knight » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

Not quite touring, but in the same vein....

Tour de Afrique's - Silk Road

Has some appeal as far as 2018 possibilities are concerned

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:13 pm

If anyone is interested, I have finished reading "The man who cycled the Americas" - Mark Beaumont which MWP kindly sent to me last year.

For those after some inspiration, I'm happy to pay it forward and send it to you.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm

Like this thread, Hughie.

Funnily, though, until you posted it I had not really processed the fact that I don't think so much about where I would like to ride (I just ride and sometimes go along on the rides organised by others), but I think a LOT about where I would like to run / races I would like to run. :|

That said, I would love to do TD. It is like a distant dream. But I have done distant running dreams, so maybe I don't discount it just yet. Also, just little things like the Alpine 250, not just the 200 again; more riding in the Rockies at home (hoping to ride with a friend in Van this coming northern summer at least); anything in the mountains in Italy and / or France ( really, just for the food....). I also would like to do the Tassie stuff you have posted - you make it look good!

In short, riding mountains, or riding long.

Heather

Postby Heather » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 7:20 am

Doing a 9 day Tassie tour next month. Launceston to Hobart via the east coast. Very excited :D
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:23 am

Heather wrote:Doing a 9 day Tassie tour next month. Launceston to Hobart via the east coast. Very excited

Excellent Heather, I am sure you will have a blast. For the best cheese toasty in Tasmaniahttp://pyenganadairy.com.au/

Weldborough Hotel may work as well. http://weldborough.com.au/

I would suggest that all of the best cycling is done south of Hobart in the Huon but I am probably a little biased. Oh, and if you get the chance get out to Bruny. Great place to ride bikes. I think I am back out on Bruny for the first weekend of March with the boys for an overnighter. I think the plan is to drink too much beer but we may squeeze in a couple of hundred kms of the most scenic cycling.

Black Knight wrote:Tour de Afrique's - Silk Road

Now that would be awesome.

I like that you all talk Tour Divide. If anyone gets serious about being in Banff, please just yell out. I have so much stuff on that ride. Maps, books, spreadsheets, resupply and shelter options. Happy to share any and all of that and love helping others with it. I have had two vastly different experiences on the route but still feel really passionate and inspired by the experience and possibilities. 2019 I think. :D

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 9:53 am

weg wrote:I'll keep Munda Biddi for old age.

I'm now not leaving anything for later if I can do it now...

I've just bought a classic car I've always wanted. Going to a 9 day fortnight shortly...

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 10:49 am

HughieP wrote:I like that you all talk Tour Divide. If anyone gets serious about being in Banff, please just yell out. I have so much stuff on that ride. Maps, books, spreadsheets, resupply and shelter options. Happy to share any and all of that and love helping others with it. I have had two vastly different experiences on the route but still feel really passionate and inspired by the experience and possibilities. 2019 I think. :D

Thanks for the offer of support. I am tentatively aiming for 2019 too...

Return to “Bike Touring”