Credit Card touring - GVBR cost index.

Mike.Ayling

Credit Card touring - GVBR cost index.

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

Early bird entry for 2015 was $955 or $106.11 per day for the nine days.

Once you get past the no sag wagon and having to carry your own kit stuff a couple can do very well on $212 per day.

Mary and I rode out tandem from Arrarat to Warrnambool and incurred the following accommodation costs:

Halls Gap: YHA $82.50 Private room, shared showers, toilet and kitchen.

Dunkeld: South Grampian Log cabins $115 Fully self contained cabin with cooking facilities.

Hamilton: Boomers Guest House $92 - YHA equivalent accommodation as per Halls Gap.

Macarthur: Farmers Bed and Breakfast $145. En suite room with full breakfast.

Port Fairy YHA $75. Refer Halls Gap.

We managed to get away under $50 for bistro/pub dinners if we gave the sticky date puddings a miss.

We cooked oatmeal porridge everywhere except the B&B.

We had wraps with cheese and tomato for lunch most days.

Coffee shops not costed because you pay for these yourself on the GVBR.

WE HAD A BED EVERY NIGHT INSTEAD OF SLEEPING IN A SMALL TENT ON THE GROUND!

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

cold_erin

Re: Credit Card touring - GVBR cost index.

Postby cold_erin » Mon 23 Nov 2015, 6:01 pm

....and this is why I'll never do the GVBR.
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 24 Nov 2015, 8:05 am

There is more than just the $ value though.

Being a part of a massive group. Hundreds of cyclists on the road with you. Making new friends for 5 mins, or for life. Pitching in and helping out. It can be extremely rewarding.

For some.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 24 Nov 2015, 3:19 pm

baudman wrote:There is more than just the $ value though.

Being a part of a massive group. Hundreds of cyclists on the road with you. Making new friends for 5 mins, or for life. Pitching in and helping out. It can be extremely rewarding.

For some.

Hey Baudman,

This is the bike touring forum and my post was directed at the 60 or cycle tourers in Victoria rather than the 6,000 GVBR participants.
I was an adult leader in the Scout Association for 20 years and am well aware of the bonding and fellowship opportunites that can arise from events such as the GVBR.
Re pitching in and helping out in the Venturer section representing 14-18 year olds we tried to train them to be self reliant, plan their own journeys, arrange and carry all the gear and food required for such journeys without an adult being present .( A lot like self supported touring in fact!)

Mike

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 24 Nov 2015, 10:17 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:...This is the bike touring forum and my post was directed at the 60 or cycle tourers in Victoria rather than the 6,000 GVBR participants.

Sorry - my mind reading skills must be lacking at the moment.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 26 Nov 2015, 7:12 am

baudman wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:...This is the bike touring forum and my post was directed at the 60 or cycle tourers in Victoria rather than the 6,000 GVBR participants.

Hey Baudman

When I was at school in the sixth decade of the last century we did not have a subject called mind reading but we did have one called comprehension of written English.

I am sorry that you were unable to comprehend that a post in the Bike Touring Forum was directed at bike tourers and potential bike tourists!

Mike

Heather

Postby Heather » Thu 26 Nov 2015, 7:41 am

Having just done a 5 day trip Melb to Bright, I just looked up the costs. Probably $600 for the 5 days/4 nights.
It would have been considerably less without the *cough* refreshing beverages :lol:
But fun factor? Priceless! :mrgreen:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu 26 Nov 2015, 10:52 am

Baudam

For what it is worth I got your point and I would suggest your comprehension skills are fine .... a simple reading of your initial post should be clear on your add on the topic. Hardly a basis for such a response that was to follow that is for sure.

Personally I prefer solo touring, have sometimes toured with others in small group and for a number of years led bushwalks with groups of people, but have not participated in a GVBR or similar. That said if the opportunity arose I would probably give it go. In my experience each approach has its pluses and minuses and no approach should exclude the others.

Each to their own of course.

Regards
Andrew Priest

weg

Postby weg » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:06 am

I get where you were coming from too bauds. I think all touring modes are useful. Like cycling, you can do it any way you please. Just pick and choose and mix and match based on where/when/who/how far/how long. And maybe bears.

Supported gets people started and builds skills and confidence. It's great seeing the schoolkids, families and others so excited about the GV this week. Not my cup of tea but that doesn't matter. No doubt the regional businesses build cyclo touring comprehension and capacity as well. And it's handy for remote areas and where you can only enter a country legally with a registered group. Not sure I'm up for scrambling across the border on scree in the dead of night avoiding border guards.

I find cc touring fast and light (yay, roadie) but limited to places with infrastructure, by definition. So not much use if you're hundreds of kms from civilisation. Where sleeping in a little tent on the ground is both cheap and awesome.

No better. Just do.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 2:54 pm

Detailed report of the abovementioned tour here.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/16958

Mike

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:
baudman wrote:

Hey Baudman

When I was at school in the sixth decade of the last century we did not have a subject called mind reading but we did have one called comprehension of written English.

I am sorry that you were unable to comprehend that a post in the Bike Touring Forum was directed at bike tourers and potential bike tourists!

Mike

It's a shame courtesy wasn't on your curriculum.

If touring on a bike as part of an organised group is not legitimate cycle touring, you could have educated Baudman more politely.
Up and at 'em

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 1:49 pm

I can't see the point of OP's thread title if he's not 'having a go' at the GVBR and the 6000 GVBR riders.

Seems a bit pointless all round actually.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:15 pm

Heather wrote:Having just done a 5 day trip Melb to Bright, I just looked up the costs. Probably $600 for the 5 days/4 nights.
It would have been considerably less without the *cough* refreshing beverages :lol:
But fun factor? Priceless! :mrgreen:

You would have incurred the same "refreshing beverages" cost had you been on the GVBR!

Mike

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 4:07 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I can't see the point of OP's thread title if he's not 'having a go' at the GVBR and the 6000 GVBR riders.

Seems a bit pointless all round actually.

I was trying to inform any would be credit card tourers that two people can credit card tour very comfortably for the same daily rate that they would pay on the GVBR. If you believe that it was "having a go" at the GVBR that was not my intention. 6,000 GVBR riders are happy to pay the asking price for the services provided so my opinion matters little to them.

I agree that the GVBR fits the definition of cycle touring and I have always wondered why it was not call the Great Victorian Cycle Tour from day one.

Having said all that I notice in the 2015 Financial Statements of BN that the revenue from rides is down by 10% which might indicate that some people have decided that GVBR and ATB are getting too expensive.

Er, how many riders are on the GVBR this year?

Mike

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 6:16 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:....I notice in the 2015 Financial Statements of BN that the revenue from rides is down by 10% which might indicate that some people have decided that GVBR and ATB are getting too expensive....

Mike

Possibly some truth in that - but I reckon it's more like most people likely to do either have done it now and the pool of new participants is smaller. Plus it is a pretty crowded market for 'big rides' and supported tours.

GVBR and ATBIAD have been groundbreaking events though, and still provide a secure start point for riders new to both types of ride.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Bike Touring”