Ride a bike to Woods Point? OK, why not ....

Dalai

Re: Ride a bike to Woods Point? OK, why not ....

Postby Dalai » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm

Sounds good Pete! ;)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed 25 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

Ok, I was going to post some pics but you may as well just look at my blogpost here.

I may even get some more pics up there soon ! :)

Cheers...
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:44 pm

Next thing should be to do the Matlock to Walhalla and Moe run. Matlock to Aberfeldy would have to be one of the best damn roads in all of Victoria - an absolute gem to ride!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

I'm sure it's a great ride. Tania Taylor (WoodsPt Hotel) spoke of some guys who stayed at WP and rode over to Walhalla for a counter lunch and back THE SAME DAY....

I'm not sure I want to do it ONE WAY if it means climbing out of WP to Matlock ever again. :lol:

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 27 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

Nice reports and pics.

I will stick to the 'mountains' between Black Rock and Station Pier. :lol:

Frosty.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

cyclotaur wrote:I'm sure it's a great ride. Tania Taylor (WoodsPt Hotel) spoke of some guys who stayed at WP and rode over to Walhalla for a counter lunch and back THE SAME DAY....

A friend of mine (the same one who is considering doing Melb to Jamieson in one day) did a ride last year, Rawson to Aberfeldy, Matlock, then return via Jericho and the Thompson Valley Road. Pretty solid riding, about 140kms almost all on gravel roads.

cyclotaur wrote:I'm not sure I want to do it ONE WAY if it means climbing out of WP to Matlock ever again. :lol:

Soft. That climb is a pretty typical high-country access climb.

Actually the easiest way to do it is from Lilydale. Day 1 to Maroondah Dam (camping possible); day 2 to Matlock via Cumberland Junction.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:53 pm

Pete wrote:.....
cyclotaur wrote:I'm not sure I want to do it ONE WAY if it means climbing out of WP to Matlock ever again. :lol:

Soft. That climb is a pretty typical high-country access climb.

I resemble that remark... but age, weight and bike pretty much determine the limits to my modest exploits. ;) The time we climbed to Matlock was tough also because we'd had a big day beforehand from Mansfield to Woods Point.
Actually the easiest way to do it is from Lilydale. Day 1 to Maroondah Dam (camping possible); day 2 to Matlock via Cumberland Junction.

I prefer to ride between pubs - not interested in camping. Hence we stayed at Reefton pub, then Woods Point etc. I don't think there's anything between Reefton and Walhalla apart from about 150kms of riding (as good as it would be) and mostly on gravel.

So I'd need to stay at WP then climb back up to Matlock next day to resume the trip to Walhalla.

Actually, I've only been that way once (by car, pouring rain) about 35 years ago. I would certainly like to do the trip under better circumstances !

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:48 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I prefer to ride between pubs - not interested in camping. Hence we stayed at Reefton pub, then Woods Point etc. I don't think there's anything between Reefton and Walhalla apart from about 150kms of riding (as good as it would be) and mostly on gravel.

One time that I rode through Matlock we camped in the picnic area at the junction. One of our group just bedded down without a tent, on the concrete in the shelter there. An option for you ??? :lol:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 10:16 am

Pete, I've done that sort of thing in my younger days, lots of camping/hiking in the high country but just not interested in roughing it to that extent now.

Light cycle touring is getting me out into areas I haven't been for a long time, but the decent bedding and general bonhomie of small country towns/pubs is a large factor in my enjoyment these days.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:39 am

So... would a solo overnighter from Warburton to Woods Point and back be a really bad idea?

I'd be travelling light (change of knicks, toothbrush and credit card... plus tubes and tools, of course). Driving down from Ballarat beforehand, so realistically setting out up the Reefton Spur after an early lunch. Need to be back in the outer 'burbs of Melbourne by about 4pm the next day.

I do ~70km (in the bunch) before breakfast most weekends, have done quite a few >100km solo day rides, usually involving plenty of gravel and a bit of elevation. I've gone up Lake Mountain "loaded" with overnight gear comparable to what I'm imagining for this trip.

But 100km (each way) of mostly dirt, loaded, with big elevation, in the middle of nowhere... solo... that's next level.

I drove through Woods Point once about 20 years ago, and have been meaning to get back there since. I've never gone in from the Warby side. So I'm not completely ignorant as to what that part of the world is like, but I'm not exactly a local.

Thoughts?

I have a window of opportunity coming up...

tim

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 2:04 pm

Tales from the bar of the Woods Point Hotel (where you'd no doubt be staying) tell of cyclists riding from Warby to Woods Pt for lunch then heading back ....I cannot vouch for their veracity though. ;)

Last time we rode that way we actually stayed at the Reefton Hotel at McMahons Ck, about 5 km from the base of Reefton Spur. It's about 87 km t0 WoodsPt from there. we carried stuff for a few days of CC touring inc proper clothes etc so you'll be travelling lighter, and will be quicker I'm sure. FWIW here's my Strava for that day, bearing in mind we were in no hurry and had plenty of stops along the way. Riding early from Warby will only add an hour each way, tops. OTOH if you drive out to McMahons Ck and leave the car there it just takes a little time pressure of the ride.

It's actually sealed all the way from Warby to just beyond the junction with Marysville-WoodsPt Rd, and you then have about 60km of unsealed to Woods-Pt. Once you hit the seal coming back you only have maybe 2-2.5 hours back to the start at Warby, less to McMahon Ck.

My main advice would be 1/ pick your day, weather wise 2/ Have something warmer to pull on at Woods Pt - it's pretty fresh at night, and 3/ use decent tyres - the unsealed section is pretty long and there are some quite rough parts.

Otherwise it will be a fun ride, though personally I'd rather have some company.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 2:14 pm

Midweek ride?
I'm not sure but it would pay to check the Woods Pt Hotel before you go....best if they're expecting you.

Also remember that even on the high gravel section you are still ascending most of the way before the plunge down to Woods Pt. It's quite a long ride, time-wise. Return trip a bit quicker, but you should make it back in good time with an early-ish start. Assuming no delays, punctures etc

Did I mention use good tyres.... ?? Sturdy 35s on a CX, at least.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 5:21 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely be calling ahead for a room reservation. I figure if they know I'm coming, that gives me some flexibility to arrive relatively late if something happens and I end up taking longer on the road than planned.

I've ridden down Reefton Spur, so I have a reasonable idea what to expect up until the junction. Good thought about parking at McMahon's Creek to save time. I'll keep that option in mind depending when I get away.

I'd be tossing up between 700x35C-ish CX tyres or 650x40B slicks, which are my preferred option for mixed-surface rides. The fat slicks have done plenty of gravel (and the odd bit of singletrack). Might lose a little bit in high-speed gravel descending confidence (so ride slower), but make up for that by not having to drag knobbies along paved roads. Benefits of having a bike that is androgenous WRT rim size :-D

Clothing wise... my normal kit is rated for pre-dawn rides in July in Ballarat. Throw a tidy shirt and shorts over as much riding kit as I need, and I'm reasonably presentable (to Woods Point standards) and comfortable at November alpine temperatures. Unless it's forecast really crappy weather, in which case I'm not really interested in going anyway.

Another option under consideration is an overnight road loop from ~Healesville up to Eildon (via Toolangi and Alexandra) and back (via Marysville). Also back for the next afternoon. Less weather dependent, but still unlikely to happen if it's crappy.

Pondering plans for celebratory rides instead of concentrating on my last exam ever [1] tomorrow... *sigh*

tim

[1] well, I've completed a degree approximately once per 20 years so far in my life... so I might be up for another round of final exams some time in 2036...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 6:31 pm

I don't fancy your plan B as stated - unlikely to be much better weather-wise, and and brings you back over Black Spur to Healesville which is a bit dicky for cycling as it's fairly narrow, twisty and highly trafficked. Also I wouldn't ride the extra kms from Alexandra to Eildon - nothing special, and (literally) nothing much at Eildon anyway.

If you want to extend day 1, ride via Toolangi to Kinglake West/Flowerdale and Yea before following the trail to Alexandra. You can also take Whanregarwen Rd to Alex the back way rather than go all the way via the trail. Alexandra has a good selection of accommodation and cafes.

Stay there the night then head south to Marysville via Taggerty and Buxton. There are a few back routes you can take other than the Maroondah Hwy all the way. Stop for lunch in Marysville, and then a better (but longer...) way back from Marysville to Healesville than over the Black Spur would be via Acheron Way to Cement Ck, turn right for Donna Buang then take the left turn before the summit onto the unsealed road (C505) down to Healesville via Panton's Gap/Mt Toolebewong.

You could vary this route a bit to start from Lilydale (station...) using the Warby Trail and Don Rd but it would be better over say 3 days. Depends how far/fast you want to ride I guess.

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:26 pm

barefoot wrote:So... would a solo overnighter from Warburton to Woods Point and back be a really bad idea?
<snip>

Thoughts?

I have a window of opportunity coming up...

tim

Hey Tim,
Totally do-able. Ian, Martin, Tony & I went that way last year on our way to Bright. We also stayed at the Reefton Hotel (lovely), then the pub at Woods Point.
It is a beautiful climb up the Reefton Spur, very enjoyable. Then onto the dirt & all the fun stuff. L left the boys for dead on the descents, they cruised past me on the uphills. :oops: Some seriously steep in some parts, when the gradient dropped back to 8% or 9% it felt like a false flat.

I did it on a CX with 28 randonneur tyres - it was dry, would have wanted something wider/nobbier if it was wet. The last 7 kn descent into Woods Point is a blast!!
I don't suggest heading back with a hangover.
Cheers,
H
PS...when you planning on doing this? :mrgreen:

**EDIT**
Link to ride report:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15592&p=674136#p674136
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Return to “Bike Touring”