Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

victor
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby victor » Thu 05 Sep 2019, 5:26 pm

I'm trying to find cycling friendly accommodation somewhere near Modane, in the Vallée de la Maurienne. It should

1. have a secure undercover bicycle storage area
2. provide breakfast (dinner would be nice also, but I can go to restaurants for those if needed)
3. be anywhere from about Forneaux to Avrieux (and possibly Aussois)

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

User avatar
jvb
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri 10 Nov 2006, 8:43 pm
Location: Looking down on the suburbs
Contact:

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby jvb » Sun 08 Sep 2019, 10:43 am

Are you going again? You just got back.

victor
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby victor » Mon 09 Sep 2019, 7:32 pm

jvb wrote:Are you going again? You just got back.

No, just planning next year's trip. These overseas trips take a fair bit of planning, and it's never too early to start it.

victor
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby victor » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm

Mission accomplished, I think. I found a nice hotel in Modane, and also determined (via emailed question) that they provide secure bicycle storage. It's the Hôtel le Commerce, and looks nice on the inside (based on Google Maps review photos) and has reasonable prices. Unfortunately, I won't be able to return there until 2022, but it will make a good base for cycling one of the best cycling valleys in the world, the Vallée de la Maurienne :) There are so many good climbs going up from that valley, not surprising really, given the valley is 110km long :shock: Guess where Modane is located in the valley ? In the exact middle, that's where! So it's ideal for exploring as much of the valley as possible.

Dalai
Posts: 3225
Joined: Tue 20 Nov 2007, 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby Dalai » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 9:13 pm

victor wrote:Mission accomplished, I think. I found a nice hotel in Modane, and also determined (via emailed question) that they provide secure bicycle storage. It's the Hôtel le Commerce


Good to know. Thanks for posting Victor.

Ghislain
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm
Location: The leafy east
Contact:

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby Ghislain » Sat 11 Jan 2020, 11:18 am

Victor - not that you asked, and you probably know all this already, but in my mind Modane is at the 'end' of the valley.

Heading east from Modane is a climb up towards Lansleburg, then going either the Iseran or Mont Cenis (Italy). Both really lovely, but it's a main road climb for a while. And the road west from Modane to St Michael isn't great - biggish, busy.

Depending on which climbs you're targeting most of course, I'd lean toward staying in St-Jean or St Michel as they are both on the well-known Telegraph/Galibier/Glandon-Croix de Fer loop, and are closer to Col du Madeleine, while St Jean has some interesting climbs as well, most notably La Toussuire (famous as the climb Floyd Landis blew up on, the day before he drugged up and blew the peloton away).

Modane as a town is also a little 'subdued' compared to St Jean.

But you'll have a hoot whatever you do.

victor
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby victor » Sun 12 Jan 2020, 12:19 pm

Ghislain wrote:Victor - not that you asked, and you probably know all this already, but in my mind Modane is at the 'end' of the valley.

Heading east from Modane is a climb up towards Lansleburg, then going either the Iseran or Mont Cenis (Italy). Both really lovely, but it's a main road climb for a while. And the road west from Modane to St Michael isn't great - biggish, busy.

Depending on which climbs you're targeting most of course, I'd lean toward staying in St-Jean or St Michel as they are both on the well-known Telegraph/Galibier/Glandon-Croix de Fer loop, and are closer to Col du Madeleine, while St Jean has some interesting climbs as well, most notably La Toussuire (famous as the climb Floyd Landis blew up on, the day before he drugged up and blew the peloton away).

Modane as a town is also a little 'subdued' compared to St Jean.

But you'll have a hoot whatever you do.

Thanks for the reply. :)

From what I've seen on previous visits, Modane is in the middle of the valley, with La Chambre down near its bottom end, and Bonneval-sur-Arc (where the main climb up to Col de l'Iseran starts) at its top end. Yes, I know it's not a uniform slow climb from the bottom to the top, with 2 climbs (the Pont du Nant St-Anne just south of Aussois, and with a spectacular view across the deep valley to some very old forts, and the 'other' Col de la Madeleine east of Termignon), but it's still a 110km long valley.

On my next trip I want to climb Col de l'Iseran again (at least once), Col du Mont-Cenis, and some other climbs to the east of Modane, as well as the climbs down the bottom end, e.g. Col de la Madeleine, Col de la Croix de Fer, and of course Col du Galibier. Modane is ideally situated for all of these climbs, and the town has all the necessary facilities (banks, cafés, supermarkets, post office, medical centre, train station). Modane is also prettier than St-Jean-de-Maurienne, which is pretty industrial.

I've stayed in St-Jean-de-Maurienne before, but it's a very long return trip to the Col de l'Iseran and Col du Mont-Cenis from there. From Modane, it's about 120km return to all 3 of Col de l'Iseran, Col de la Madeleine, and Col de la Croix de Fer, which I think is perfect positioning. :)

As for the road between Modane and St-Michel-de-Maurienne, it's not that bad: I've cycled it, and the D1006 is OK for cycling.

Ghislain
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm
Location: The leafy east
Contact:

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby Ghislain » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 6:59 am

Fair enough. You can't really go wrong in that valley.

Cenis is a nice climb, particularly around the lake at the top, and the refuge at the top is run by lovely elderly couple. If you're up for a little more distance the ride down to Susa is a ripper on relatively new tarmac and from there you can climb gravel or road up to Sestriere and / or hop over to Briancon and then back over Galibier to your valley to complete the loop. But that's all probably an overnight journey!

victor
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: Cycling-friendly accommodation near Modane?

Postby victor » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 7:35 am

Ghislain wrote:Fair enough. You can't really go wrong in that valley.

Cenis is a nice climb, particularly around the lake at the top, and the refuge at the top is run by lovely elderly couple. If you're up for a little more distance the ride down to Susa is a ripper on relatively new tarmac and from there you can climb gravel or road up to Sestriere and / or hop over to Briancon and then back over Galibier to your valley to complete the loop. But that's all probably an overnight journey!

Which refuge are you talking about? The Refuge du Petit Mont-Cenis?

By the way, Susa is also quite accessible from Modane: about 105km return trip. :) Riding over the Col du Mont-Cenis, down to Susa, then back up the same way has been on my wish list for a while.


Return to “Bike Touring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest