The silence is deafening! Is no-one excited about the ride?

The West Australian Great WA Bike Ride is going West in 2011!
wobby

The silence is deafening! Is no-one excited about the ride?

Postby wobby » Thu 17 Feb 2011, 6:44 pm

Four weeks to go, no dramas, cries for help, injuries, training difficulties. The 2009 ride saw a hive of activity on this forum. :?

I guess we're all prepared and ready for the big event. See you there. 8)
Does the name "Pavlov" ring a bell?

grumpy

Re: The silence is deafening! Is no-one excited about the ri

Postby grumpy » Sat 19 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

:D Lets hope that people are getting excited :( We are,the riding is getting easier and the distance is increasing.I do not expect a lot of activity Sunday night the 20th after 105 Kms.We are booked into a motel over the LAY DAY .After the rest we will be eager to head off on the next stage.Grumpy

Jack Russell

Postby Jack Russell » Sun 20 Feb 2011, 6:05 pm

I am looking forward to it and am also booked into a motel for Margaret
River. I am not looking forward to the trip over from Sydney or worse still the red eye return!

I did the original ride and last year rode preety much this route with some friends.

See you there

Jack

helenwh

Postby helenwh » Mon 21 Feb 2011, 6:34 pm

I am very excited.
Training heaps to be fit enough (is there such a thing)???
Booked into Perth post ride for R & R.

See you at the Manji pub Friday night.

Jennifer M

Postby Jennifer M » Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:57 am

Yup - is kinda quiet around here - is there a FB or Twitter page going off somewhere else? Willl there be tumbleweed through the campsites as well? How many people will be doing the ride?

sou'wester

Postby sou'wester » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 9:07 pm

Not sure how reliable my source is but word is... numbers are down this year. Not so good for BV but good for those of us who prefer less crowded roads (not to mention shower blocks at the end of the day!). I am excited though... my partner is joining the ride this time and it will be fun to share the whole experience with him this time. :) Hope the weather cools down a bit by then...

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 1:16 pm

The forums were very quiet about he GVBR last year as well but it was an awesome ride. Don't read too much in to lack of forum chatter :)
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .

grumpy

Postby grumpy » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 3:34 pm

Hi Jennifer M - please could you tell me what tumbleweed is? I've been told that there are not doublegees, three corner jacks or calthrope as we will be sleeping mainly on playing fields. Cheers Grumpy :D

Jack Russell

Postby Jack Russell » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 3:43 pm

My gutfeel is that the numbers are down judging by the way they have still been advertising.

Jennifer M

Postby Jennifer M » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 4:14 pm

@ Grumpy - I am pretty sure you have been on the other rides so put "Jingle Bells" here if you are pulling my leg. Perhaps I should have said spinifex, but it was a metaphorical allusion to the balls of dead twigs and leaves you see blowing down the streets of ghost towns in all the classic westerns :lol:

grumpy

Postby grumpy » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm

:D Jennifer M - I'm not pulling you leg - I wear rose tinted glasses. Nothing will be tumbling down the street.
Cheers Grumpy

grumpy

Postby grumpy » Sat 05 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

:D Busy day,sorting clothes.checking weights.Rather confused at 1 x 20kg or 2x10kg bag. What about 1x5kg and 1x15kg???? Instructions say up to 10 kg bag needs a 10kg tag or 2x10kg tags for a 20kg bag. What's going to happen if I have a 6kg bag and a 12 kg bag?
As the tent bag will weigh about 6kg and clothes etc bag could weigh 12 kg :? Cheers Grumpy - two weeks to go till Pemberton.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun 06 Mar 2011, 2:30 pm

grumpy wrote::D Busy day,sorting clothes.checking weights.Rather confused at 1 x 20kg or 2x10kg bag. What about 1x5kg and 1x15kg???? Instructions say up to 10 kg bag needs a 10kg tag or 2x10kg tags for a 20kg bag. What's going to happen if I have a 6kg bag and a 12 kg bag?
As the tent bag will weigh about 6kg and clothes etc bag could weigh 12 kg :? Cheers Grumpy - two weeks to go till Pemberton.

Probably nothing. I have only ever seen bags weighed on the first day so I have my bags correct that day.

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Sun 06 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
grumpy wrote::D Busy day, sorting clothes. checking weights. Rather confused at 1 x 20kg or 2x10kg bag. What about 1x5kg and 1x15kg???? Instructions say up to 10 kg bag needs a 10kg tag or 2x10kg tags for a 20kg bag. What's going to happen if I have a 6kg bag and a 12 kg bag?

Probably nothing. I have only ever seen bags weighed on the first day so I have my bags correct that day.

I've had bags weighed on days other than the first day - it has never been a problem for me (other than the queue at the scales), but there is amusement to be had watching people try to lighten the overweight bag by reshuffling between bags (or even into other riders' bags) :twisted:

If one bag is 6kg, and the other is 12kg, consider transferring something from the heavy bag to the light bag.
Up and at 'em

damian_

Postby damian_ » Mon 07 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

You could always carry that extra weight on your bike :wink:

G'day everybody! I'm Damian, pleased to meet you all.

I was along for the '09 ride, and will be back for this one. Looking forwards to stretching my legs and hitting some of those hills (ha! please don't remind me I said that).

Time to pack, oil the chain, and clip on the old spokey-dokeys.

Damian

Return to “2011 The West Australian Great WA Bike Ride”