Some Questions????

The West Australian Great WA Bike Ride is going West in 2011!
hotrumour

Some Questions????

Postby hotrumour » Tue 21 Sep 2010, 6:07 pm

I have just cycled London to Paris in three days and now need a new challenge. My niece in Perth has suggested that I do The Great West Australian ride next March. Can anybody tell me more about this awesome ride. I would like to know how hilly the terrain is? What sort of speed the ride averages? I am normally around 13 - 14 mph here in the UK as it is quite hilly. Also I don't do camping, but my niece did say that hotels can be arranged - is this correct? Any other useful information would be good. Many thanks. :?: :?:

thorle

Re: Some Questions????

Postby thorle » Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm

:lol: Check this out. It may be what you're looking for, but quite expensive. .

http://www.bv.com.au/great-rides/91689/

Will be going myself and slumming it. Camping is part of the fun and you meet lots more people. Check out the Sleep Easy option as well where almost everything is done for you and less costly.
Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow, Ride today

Jack Russell

Postby Jack Russell » Fri 24 Sep 2010, 7:29 am

I have ridden in many parts of the world (love France) and does several rides in West Australia, all covering this area. I love it, and will be doing this one with the sleep easy option. I usually get myself a hotel some time during the ride for a night. Do not be put off by the numbers on the ride, the people and the atmosphere is great. An old timer told me many years ago that you will average 15kmh over a day including all the stops and I find that to be true so your average speed will befine. The terrain is not hilly by UK standards.
Come and enjoy it.

hotrumour

Postby hotrumour » Sun 26 Sep 2010, 3:51 am

Thanks for the replies. The camping is certainly food for thought as the hotel option is very expensive as you pointed out. I have never camped in my life, but at this late stage of my life I guess there is no reason why I couldn't give it a try. What about snakes and spiders - you aussies seem to take them in your stirde, I have to say I ain't keen :roll: . Perhaps a couple of nights in a hotel in Margaret River would be a good compromise. I am certainly tempted, especially if the terrain is flattish. Don't know what level of road cycling I can maintain during the winter to be fit for March. It will certainly be a challenge.

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:15 am

I wouldn't worry too much about snakes and spiders! In all my years of hiking and camping in pretty remote places, I have encountered a grand total of 5 or 6 snakes, most of whom ran away from me pretty promptly :D The only person I know who's been bitten by a snake was gardening in Hampshire and got a nip from an adder :D As for spiders, I don't know where you live but I had more spiders living in my house when in London than I do now in Melbourne!

Camping is definitely an acquired taste, but really the camping on these kind of rides is just like sleeping in a very small room ;) If you're not sure about it, can you borrow a tent and sleeping bag from someone and camp out in the garden for a night or two to see if it's really not for you? Ultimately you have flushing toilets, hot showers, people cooking your meals for you, and then it's just a matter of getting used to getting ready in the morning in a smallish space, and if you take the sleep-easy option the tent set-up/pull-down would be removed from the factor completely.

I haven't done any riding in WA, but did the Great Victorian Bike Ride for the first time last year and loved it. The riding can be done at whatever pace you want, and apart from a few wet days, I had some of the best cycling I've ever done on that ride :)
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

Return to “2011 The West Australian Great WA Bike Ride”