Teaching kids to ride

This is a forum for parents and teachers to discuss more kids riding bikes more often

Moderator: jimcoates

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Teaching kids to ride

Postby baudman » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

Hi all,

There's some of this info in a few other threads, but I thought it might be good to have a thread [cough, sticky?] of its own, for anyone who may be contemplating.

Here's a great little vid of the 'remove the pedals' method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... k1xZbahf0#!

Last edited by baudman on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sette Budini

Re: Teaching kids to ride

Postby Sette Budini » Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

Nicely done video.
I notice that kid is doing both feet running to get going then has to find both pedals mid flight.
What worked well for the Budinetto was to put one foot on the pedal at it's lowest position, scooter along with the other foot (worked well cause he really wants a scooter but his parents think they're evil things, so he liked the imagery of "scootering" on his bike) and then just have one foot that needed to find its pedal while rolling.

baudman

Postby baudman » Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

Sette Budini wrote:What worked well for the Budinetto was to put one foot on the pedal at it's lowest position, scooter along with the other foot ...

STILL trying to get Thing1 to succeed with that :S (She'll try it. Occasionally...)

Of course, there's also the (generally) boys you see about that graduate straight to the cyclocrossesque flying mount. :shock:

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

Just did some practice last weekend at trying to take off with the pedal in the higher position and a pedal push to get going (as we grown ups do) rather than all that undignified scooting. So far so good, but the leg push sometimes results in a bit of aberrant steering...

Saw a youngster on his way to school do a beautiful leg forward over the top tube (it was a lowtop tube) flying dismount at the pedestrian crossing, briskly across the road on foot in front of the crossing supervisor, then a nice cyclocross remount and on to school. Very neat.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

We gave Hannah a 12" pedal bike for christmas when she was 4y3mo (after a good year or more on a runbike). She could do it, but wasn't confident, and tended to freak out when she realised that I wasn't holding on to her.

The bike was put aside for most of winter, then we embarked on a more intensive runbiking program in spring - this time on a de-cranked 16"er.

Since Christmas this year we've been doing a few more pedal bike sessions on the 12"er... and the penny has suddenly dropped. In the last two weeks she's gone from insisting on a hand on the shoulder to keep her balanced, to doing laps up and down the driveway, starting and stopping without assistance.

She (via Mum) called at lunch today to inform me that this morning she rode all the way around Lake Wendouree. That's 6km.

Yep, my little girl just rode 6km on her pedal bike.

Proud much? 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

tim

baudman

Postby baudman » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 4:54 pm

Yay! :D

(Strava report?)

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Pics or it didn't happen. :P
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

jigger

Postby jigger » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

barefoot wrote:She (via Mum) called at lunch today to inform me that this morning she rode all the way around Lake Wendouree. That's 6km.

Alot of people around the Lake today. We were down there around lunch time. Giving the kids a history/ social science/ botanical lesson whilst we were there!
Jigger
Never Forget The Joy Of The Ride!

tonyk

Postby tonyk » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

Good on the little tacker!

(Last time I was in Ballarat, you could ride across Lake Wendouree)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:Pics or it didn't happen. :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 6093293131

...but you can't see it unless you're bookface friends with my Mrs :-P

tim

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:14 pm

baudman wrote:Yay! :D

(Strava report?)

No, I haven't installed Strava on her smartphone yet :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tim

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:02 am

We're sticking one of our phone's in SqueazEd's 'pannier' on his runbike next time he goes out - he did little circles on the grass in the middle of the Hawthorn velodrome for 30 minutes yesterday, and then did at least 27 laps of the path that goes in and out of the toilet block! I don't know about distance, but an hour of riding is a lot for a little person!

Congratulations to Hannah for her pedalling epiphany!
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:56 am

squeaza wrote:We're sticking one of our phone's in SqueazEd's 'pannier' on his runbike next time he goes out

I still have my old smartphone - a very low-end Huawei android thing - which I could probably give to Hannah without a SIM, to use as a music player and a Strava recorder.

I originally intended to keep it for use as a bike GPS (as alluded to in this thread), but since I always take my proper phone as well, it seems somewhat redundant. So hey, why shouldn't a 5 year old have a smartphone :roll: :lol:

tim

lard

Postby lard » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

barefoot wrote:
squeaza wrote:We're sticking one of our phone's in SqueazEd's 'pannier' on his runbike next time he goes out

I still have my old smartphone - a very low-end Huawei android thing - which I could probably give to Hannah without a SIM, to use as a music player and a Strava recorder.

I originally intended to keep it for use as a bike GPS (as alluded to in this thread), but since I always take my proper phone as well, it seems somewhat redundant. So hey, why shouldn't a 5 year old have a smartphone :roll: :lol:

tim

Most smart phones won't boot to a usable state without a sim installed :(

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

lard wrote:Most smart phones won't boot to a usable state without a sim installed :(

Mine must not be very smart then, because AFAIR they all do :-D

tim
Galaxy S2, Huawei Ideos 8150, ZTE MyTab. #2 and #3 are definitely less smart than #1.

Return to “Parents and teachers discussion”