Teaching kids to ride

This is a forum for parents and teachers to discuss more kids riding bikes more often

Moderator: jimcoates

Canuck

Re: Teaching kids to ride

Postby Canuck » Sun 01 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm

Took the boy out on his bike this morning - he is on training wheels despite having used a runbike - he asked for them as he's nervous. We did about 3.5km this morning, me jogging while he rode. He's still learning handling and stopping - and was really scared on the downhills. He finds it hard to actually listen to my instructions on the go........

But overall a decent outing and parts were very happy. He's so keen to learn and be riding with me but the reality is still a bit scary ;) This was his second time on the bike.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 16 Jun 2020, 5:27 pm

Canuck wrote:But overall a decent outing and parts were very happy. He's so keen to learn and be riding with me but the reality is still a bit scary ;) This was his second time on the bike.

Yep. In his own time. And perhaps the location(s) can aid in ditching the training wheels. Does he still ride the balance bike? (Both of mine rode both for about 12 months).

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 16 Jun 2020, 8:35 pm

baudman wrote:
Canuck wrote:But overall a decent outing and parts were very happy. He's so keen to learn and be riding with me but the reality is still a bit scary ;) This was his second time on the bike.

Yep. In his own time. And perhaps the location(s) can aid in ditching the training wheels. Does he still ride the balance bike? (Both of mine rode both for about 12 months).

Naaaahh. He's been off the training wheels for a while now. I wouldn't have put them on at all but Daddio did, in response to the Boy's worry.

But given tagalong experience I didn't want him tipping his bike cornering with training wheels (which he was beginning to do). First time two wheeling he was doing it within one lap of the oval path at the park. Clearly could've done it earlier, so I didn't have to do much. Second time at the park solo he told me to go away and leave him alone to ride :lol:

Now I make him ride to a local park and back on shared path with me. 5.5km each way. Needs to walk down and up one steep hill with a corner right at the bottom, but otherwise all good.

He's got more interest in speed than his braking skills can handle. Big downhills still worry him some as he knows he's not great at braking!! But otherwise he'll take off at some parks, saying 'I'm not waiting!'

I'm already perusing bikes with gears so he can manage uphill better because if he's going to ride with me he's going to need to like to climb! :lol:

He's also too tall for his particular run bike now at 114cm barefoot. It was meant for younger ages.

MTB, BMX, or other.... Decisions, decisions...

Return to “Parents and teachers discussion”