Shimano or Sram

All about keeping your bike running smoothly.
ludlow

Shimano or Sram

Postby ludlow » Mon 14 May 2018, 12:34 pm

My daughter is going to buy a new drop bar disk brake gravel bike. We are looking at the Linskey GR 260 Ti frame only. The Moots Routt Ti frame or the Trek SLI 6 which comes as a complete bike with Carbon frame and Shimano Ultegra group set.

If she goes for either the Linskey or Moots frame is Shimano Ultegra or Sram Force group set better.

Also does anybody have any experience or opinions on the Sram 1 x Chain ring and 11x36 cassett set up.

I would welcome any feedback on this.

Thanks.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Shimano or Sram

Postby roshea » Mon 14 May 2018, 7:46 pm

I wouldn't say that either Ultegra or Force is "better" - they're at similar price points and both work very well, so it largely just comes down to preference - double-tap (SRAM) versus two levers, hood ergonomics, and maybe availability of the chainring / cassette sizes you want.

The reviews of the 1X setup have been pretty good - it works well over the gear range and simplifies shifting, as long as you don't mind the larger jumps between gears. If I was looking at a gravel bike, I'd seriously consider it.
Office use only.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 14 May 2018, 9:25 pm

Hi ludlow - I've got a road bike with Shimano Ultegra and a CX bike with Sram Rival (1 x Chainring). Personally, I prefer the Shimano Compact (dual chainring) but the Sram 1X is acceptable for the use I give it. That is, my CX bike is used mainly on gravel roads through the forest - so you're either climbing in the lowest gear you've got or descending under brakes.

If you could let us know where she's planning on riding it I might be able to offer some insights. For riding on gravel rail trails the 1x is quite adequate. The big weakness of the single chainring is when you're doing a long fast descent on asphalt (say coming down Donna Buang or coming down from Lake Mountain to Marysville) you simply run out of gears. Once you get over 45 Km/Hr there's no point trying to pedal anymore and your top speed is limited to what gravity will provide. The other riders with big chainrings (higher gears) will zoom off into the distance.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 15 May 2018, 12:33 pm

1X SRAM is perfect, given that SRAM struggle to get the front derailleur to work reliably. It's one way to solve the problem ;)

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Thu 17 May 2018, 11:13 am

Thank you for everyone's feed back on this, some very good comments, I have been looking at:

www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

This is very good for comparing gear ratios and makes it very easy. She is still considering the options out there.

Thanks.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Thu 24 May 2018, 4:59 pm

you can't buy sram online so you're stuck with local prices $$$s when you need parts replacements.

if going off road you'd want shimano xt shadow + clutch for no chain drop ... and keeps the derailleur nicely tucked away from obstacles.

if she's doing steep climbs, you'd want 11-42 or 46, that's what I run, gets you up the 20% stuff off road.
__________flow................___________

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 25 May 2018, 8:36 am

mtb101 wrote:you can't buy sram online so you're stuck with local prices $$$s when you need parts replacements.

Ribble
Bike24
Evans
Jenson
Reaching new levels of softness!

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 25 May 2018, 10:11 am

mtb101 wrote:you can't buy sram online so you're stuck with local prices $$$s when you need parts replacements.

try HERE

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Fri 25 May 2018, 11:02 am

Snuffy wrote:

Ribble
Bike24
Evans
Jenson
they're geo blocked try for yourself.
from bike24;
Our price:
162,18 €
Price excl. VAT excl. Shipping & Handling
for shipment to Australia.

Product not shippable to Australia.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Fri 25 May 2018, 11:10 am

GreenAlias wrote:

try HERE
yes ebay won't have the same exchange, warranty policies, I'd prefer crc and can't buy sram there or on wiggle to au.

Return to “Bike Maintenance”