How was your mechanical fiddling today?

All about keeping your bike running smoothly.
Claude Cat

Re: How was your mechanical fiddling today?

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 1:42 pm

rgcrgc wrote:That's the irritating thing about this one though - less than 8500km on the bike. The cassette has around 2000km left in it. I'll definitely change cables when I do change the cassette but I think I might need to do a 6-7000km check next time.

I've never got more than about 8700km with a 105 rear shifter cable in the past. In fact they go quite consistently at or around 8000km, except the last one which started fraying at just under 6000km.
Of course that's entirely up to the individual, how much they shift etc.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 9:48 pm

Claude Cat wrote:
I've never got more than about 8700km with a 105 rear shifter cable in the past. In fact they go quite consistently at or around 8000km, except the last one which started fraying at just under 6000km.
Of course that's entirely up to the individual, how much they shift etc.

I never really thought about it before but I mark you right. Harking back I realise it's more through luck than judgement that I haven't frayed/broken more cables.

I think I'll adopt Parawolf's paradigm and do a twice-yearly routine cable change.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:59 am

ludlow wrote:Hi Fixie,

So is your HOMEMADE molten wax the same formula as the Oz cycle one that is shown on you tube?

Cheers George.

My most recent one is, but now I will be interested to try his new formulation. I have experimented with adding MoS2, Beeswax instead of tallow or in combination,some PTFE loaded oil from engine improvers, and probably a few others I have forgotten all about.

Oz says that he will put something up in December.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

ludlow wrote:Hi Fixie,

So is your HOMEMADE molten wax the same formula as the Oz cycle one that is shown on you tube?

Cheers George.

My most recent one is, but now I will be interested to try his new formulation. I have experimented with adding MoS2, Beeswax instead of tallow or in combination,some PTFE loaded oil from engine improvers, and probably a few others I have forgotten all about.

Oz says that he will put something up in December.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

2cvmad

Postby 2cvmad » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 8:25 pm

Not my fiddling, but I had my bottom bracket bearing replaced. What a difference it makes, so smooth and quiet. That bearing had only lasted 15,000 km. Not a lot.
Ian S

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 9:40 am

Wheels rebuilt (Panceti Forza rims again) around the old DT-Swiss hubs, and fitted. New cassette and chain as well.
Bike feels better than new.

Return to “Bike Maintenance”