inspirational cyclists/cycling

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Re: inspirational cyclists/cycling

Postby Percrime » Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

Maybe this one.
Harriet Fell. Talking about her Paris Brest Paris.
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html

Little research project? Who was Harriet married too?

brumbygirl69

Postby brumbygirl69 » Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

http://www.womentravelblog.com/index.ph ... ing-women/
Here you will find truly inspirational women, cycling around the world, even at 74!! It's not all about speed. I hope to do this when my children have grown up. What a great way to see the world.

JAC

Postby JAC » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

Percrime wrote:Maybe this one.
Harriet Fell. Talking about her Paris Brest Paris.
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html

Little research project? Who was Harriet married to?

Sheldon Brown.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

Correct. Wonder what she is doing now. And who is fixing her bikes

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sun 15 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

Buchanan.... she's just amazing! She normally wins from the front, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1DzJn ... e=youtu.be

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014 ... -qualifier

Helen

Postby Helen » Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

Having checked out your blog, Weg, you're certainly an inspiration to me.
Maybe after the youngest has finished year 12 I might attempt some proper long bike rides (but probably not the nullabor! :P )
"The revolution will not be motorised"

fixie

Postby fixie » Sun 12 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

Some inspiration and attitude from the UK. Just do it.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

averrall

Postby averrall » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:24 pm

I'm bike riding and hikking in National Parks and on Rail Trails throughout Australia I have Spastic Cerebral Palsy so I'm riding a recumbent Cro Mo Magnum Trike her name is Freedom I will do this tour when I'm on university holidays 8th of November till the 25th of November 2014, July and Summer 2015/16, July, summer 2016/17 and July 2017) I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Science (Wildlife and Conservation Biology) at Latrobe University Bundoora I want to show people that anyone especially disabled people can do whatever they set their mind to, see the different natural environments that Australia has to offer and to also raise as much money as possible to say thank you to Assistance Dogs Australia for giving me my companion dog Kooper I'm raising money for Assistance Dogs Australia Rough plan is to ride, hike and see French Island, Cape Conron and Malacoota, then in July Flinders Rangers, Lake Eyre, Cooper Pedy, Kings Canyon and the Mildura region including Confluence of the Murray and Darling rivers, Hattah-Kulkyne National Park, Wyperfield, Murray Sunset, and the Big Desert National Parks next Summer will be around Tasmania, watch the Sydney's New Year's Eve Fireworks, The Blue Mountains, Barrington Tops, Gold Coast Hinterlands, Fraser Island, Mt Kosciuszko and North East Victoria's Rail Trails and Craig's Hut the fowling July will be the Top End, Broome, Cairns, the Daintree Rainforest, Cape York, then the Following summer will be The Murray Mouth, Kangaroo Island, Wave Rock, Perth, Rottness Island, the south west of Western Australia and Christmas Island
facebook.com/alicesrides

weg

Postby weg » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

Nice little clip at SBS of Caroline Buchanan's prep for Olympic year. Really enjoy seeing what she (and Anna) do in the gym but their gyms seem so different to any that I've been to (briefly).

fixie

Postby fixie » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

weg wrote:Nice little clip at SBS of Caroline Buchanan's prep for Olympic year. Really enjoy seeing what she (and Anna) do in the gym but their gyms seem so different to any that I've been to (briefly).

AIS Gyms are what I call functional gyms as distinct from cosmetic gyms. Of course Caroline has her personal trainer, and not many gyms allow that. If you want me to point you towards a couple of places, just PM me. I guess that AK could probably point you to a few good places also.

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 9:37 am

As an aside, it seems that the AIS may have changed its character completely in recent years, reported here in The Age today

weg

Postby weg » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

Thanks fixie. I've been injured twice at gyms with a PT present, so while I'd like the strength I don't need time off the bike and the cost of physios (usually not well spent). I guess I was making the point that they're horrid places for me but great for elites.

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 23 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

weg wrote:Thanks fixie. I've been injured twice at gyms with a PT present, so while I'd like the strength I don't need time off the bike and the cost of physios (usually not well spent). I guess I was making the point that they're horrid places for me but great for elites.

Tell me about it. ;)

It is one of the reasons that commercial gyms are so circumspect about allowing Tom, Dick and Harriet to do their own thing. Even the elites under careful supervision in a graded programme sometimes come unstuck. The balance between pushing the envelope and tearing it is a fine one.

Return to “Women's Cycling”