Future Bicycle Tourists

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
HughieP

Future Bicycle Tourists

Postby HughieP » Wed 03 May 2017, 1:13 pm

Other than it being miserable that their bicycles have been stolen, it looks like a pretty cool program. Without having been anywhere near Anchorage Alaska, I bet there is some great cycling up there at the right time of year.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2017/05/02/cycling-program-for-seventh-grade-girls-takes-a-hit-when-half-their-bikes-are-stolen/

weg

Re: Future Bicycle Tourists

Postby weg » Wed 03 May 2017, 4:09 pm

Yes, a really low act to nick the GRIT bikes. I suspect they will turn up; it's that sort of place.

Great riding around Anchorage, so it's no surprise it has the sixth highest commuter proportion (iirc) in the country, despite the weather. According to people I talked to, there were people with brains around who nabbed bits of land for shared paths when the chance arose so the urban riding is much better than you'd expect. The most spectacular ride is the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail along the waterfront. Just exquisite. Besides fat biking out to glaciers and so on in winter. Home of fat biking, for good reason. There's some busy roads too though and it's quite spread out, so it pays to check.

weg

Postby weg » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

Lael has done a great post on the group's graduation ride. Bloody great all round. Except for her being so badly injured, and being America, having no medical support.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 3:30 pm

That is a good write up. Thanks for posting weg.

weg

Postby weg » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:34 am

And some good news; two of the GRIT bikes returned by the cops.

Return to “Women's Cycling”