Conquer the Fear

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
elizabethj

Conquer the Fear

Postby elizabethj » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 6:56 am

Hey Ladies and Gents,

With the help of the wonderful users of this site I was able to gain knowledge and build confidence to make the ride from Tarneit to Port Melbourne. I got pretty good at it...2 hour ride down to 1hr15mins but then I moved.

I'm in Caroline Springs/Hillside area. I don't have a back up plan in case I can't get home without inconveniencing someone and I'm in an area I'm not familiar with.

I know the route I need to take but I'm feeling a bit scared to start my commute in the dark and I don't know what awaits me on the trails.

Sorry for the long winded post and cheers in advance for the advice if you can offer some.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Conquer the Fear

Postby parawolf » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:58 am

good quality lights that you can see with (eg: not blinkies) that give a good flood of light so you can easily see where you are going. Such lights usually aren't too cheap but are well worth it if you are doing a dark start on paths either morning or night.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

lard

Postby lard » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:07 am

parawolf wrote:good quality lights that you can see with (eg: not blinkies) that give a good flood of light so you can easily see where you are going. Such lights usually aren't too cheap but are well worth it if you are doing a dark start on paths either morning or night.

Aldi has decent lights this week,

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... ght-set-2/

I used the same ones all last winter, worked great!

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 1:20 pm

elizabethj wrote:Sorry for the long winded post and cheers in advance for the advice if you can offer some.

Hey and welcome!

If you have spare weekend time, try a dry run while it’s naturally light. That way you’ll have a better idea of what to expect when it’s dark. Despite good lighting (and I strongly recommend it), nothing beats daylight for getting a good lay of the land and evaluating potential hazards.
velocified

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 2:19 pm

I understand that the Brimbank council have been working on bike infrastructure in the area & there may have been brand new paths in your local area. It might pay to go for a bit of an explore, like further upstream Kororiot creek into Caroline Springs & along the expressways there have been some new pathways put in.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:13 pm

what route are you planning to take? road or path?
__________flow................___________

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

Everything everyone has already said.

The only other thing I can add is that there will be a whole load fewer other cyclists on the paths after dark so it can actually be a lot more enjoyable at that time.

I have never had a problem with rogue humans on the paths after dark unlike during the daytime but you will certainly encounter much more wildlife and do not underestimate the damage that a suicidal bunny can do to your bicycle.

elizabethj

Postby elizabethj » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

:) :) Thank you very much everyone!

I already have a decent lighy from Aldi for the fed trail during winter mornings, no harm in having 2 though haha

It's a good idea to try everything during the day.

The ride is mainly bike path, straight down the guts of caroline springs blvd onto the trail along the deer park bypass to the wrr trail which joins to fed trail etc but maybe getting used to smaller rides around the area during light will get me more comfortable.

Thank you again!

elizabethj

Postby elizabethj » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:34 pm

HughieP wrote:I have never had a problem with rogue humans on the paths after dark unlike during the daytime but you will certainly encounter much more wildlife and do not underestimate the damage that a suicidal bunny can do to your bicycle.

Rogue humans...thats what im worried about...thank you!

Hahahha yeah I've had a couple close shaves with some early morning bunnies...but they're so cutee!

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:27 pm

Not sure what it is like out west but in the east on GCT rogue humans in the form of early morning walkers in the dark wearing black and unlit are feral and dangerous. Sometimes they are accompanied by dogs. :shock: You need Good Lights just for your own safety.

I was impressed at the improvement you achieved with your previous commute. I am sure that you will do just as well if not better this time.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Helen

Postby Helen » Wed 15 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

Yes, I'm in awe of you, Elizabeth.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

weg

Postby weg » Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

Good work Elizabeth. I always run two lights; one will fail some time. Usually steady and blink.

Return to “Women's Cycling”