Mind.Body.Pedal

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Mind.Body.Pedal

Postby baudman » Thu 28 Apr 2016, 9:04 am

Bicycle Network is excited to announce a new initiative by Ride2School, Mind.Body.Pedal, a series of free one-day events tailored to combat inactivity in teenage girls and empower them to become physically active.

The program will empower girls and make it easier for them to get on a bike while also addressing self-esteem and body issues. Each session has been professionally developed with the assistance of external partners.

We're inviting your school to take part and support us in helping young females to get active.

Over the past 40 years, the number of young people who are physically active everyday has dropped and today levels of physical activity are at an all-time low.

The decline in physical activity is starting earlier and is far more dramatic during secondary school, most notably with teenage girls; a time when patterns of activity in adulthood are established.

Research reveals, only one in ten adolescences are physically active, with teenage girls twice as inactive when compared to males in the same age bracket. Mind.Body.Pedal is the first step to reversing this trend.

For more information on how your school can take part, contact us today.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... OW89In0%3D

Canuck

Re: Mind.Body.Pedal

Postby Canuck » Thu 28 Apr 2016, 10:17 am

Hmmm, so many comments, so little time.

I applaud the thought and effort, but given just this brief description, I wonder if they are missing out on a huge piece of the puzzle - gender stereotypes kicking in hard from puberty and 'enforced' by peers both female and male, as well as modelled throughout society at large. I haven't looked at the research, but given just my n=1 lived experience as a female, I can hazard some good guesses at why girls are more inactive from adolescence on, and how overcoming this is a much more complex issue than this program can likely tackle. Who knows, maybe some of this is covered by the 'external partners' participating; not enough details provided to get a good idea at their approach.

That said, to those who have daughters - keep participating, encouraging, and reinforcing.

Return to “Women's Cycling”