Advise on a new womens bike for 100km + rides

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Ericaiggo

Advise on a new womens bike for 100km + rides

Postby Ericaiggo » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:38 pm

I am new to this long distance riding and taken up three challenges this year. However i am finding my Liv alight commuter bike is causing some issue such as numbness in hands and legs and knee aches and have only reached 50km rides.. so thinking to upgrade to something more geometric comfortable for longer rides and would like to get some advise or suggestions from others who have or are riding brands of bikes out there better suited.. any information would be greatly appreciated..

Dalai

Re: Advise on a new womens bike for 100km + rides

Postby Dalai » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 4:23 pm

Ericaiggo wrote:I am new to this long distance riding and taken up three challenges this year. However i am finding my Liv alight commuter bike is causing some issue such as numbness in hands and legs and knee aches and have only reached 50km rides.. so thinking to upgrade to something more geometric comfortable for longer rides and would like to get some advise or suggestions from others who have or are riding brands of bikes out there better suited.. any information would be greatly appreciated..

Welcome.

Before getting a new bike (nothing wrong with that ;) ) have you had a proper bike fit or just a quick 5 minute adjustment when you bought the bike?

JAC

Postby JAC » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

Dalai wrote:
Ericaiggo wrote:I am new to this long distance riding and taken up three challenges this year. However i am finding my Liv alight commuter bike is causing some issue such as numbness in hands and legs and knee aches and have only reached 50km rides.. so thinking to upgrade to something more geometric comfortable for longer rides and would like to get some advise or suggestions from others who have or are riding brands of bikes out there better suited.. any information would be greatly appreciated..

Welcome.

Before getting a new bike (nothing wrong with that ;) ) have you had a proper bike fit or just a quick 5 minute adjustment when you bought the bike?

It is certainly possible to complete a 100km+ ride on a bike like yours. Plenty of people do so on rides like GVBR and the 100km ride of ATB.

Agree that a bike fit is ALWAYS useful.

BUT there are lots of features that I would look for in a bike for a longer ride.
Total weight of bike - lighter will go up hills more easily than heavier.
I would add bar ends to a flat bar bike, or I would choose a bike with road bars (which took me a while to get used to), so that I could move my hand positions.
Narrower tyres.
Pedals/shoes. Shoes with stiffer soles (rather than runners) if continued to use flat pedals. Better yet, I would choose cleats with cycling shoes.
Saddle. "comfy". Really hard to recommend a saddle to another person. I use a womens Specialized saddle (my model no longer available), but there is no magic formula for picking a saddle that suits.
Cycling knicks - not the cheapest ones.
Chamois cream. A must for a longer ride.

Some shops allow test rides, although a short ride around a car park doesn't answer all the questions. Test ride as many bikes as you can. Womens bikes might include narrower handlebars, womens saddle, and slightly different geometry which might suit you better than a mens bike. OR it might just be pink and flowery. (and cost a bit more than a similarly specced mens model)
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 8:30 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I am with Dalai. Numbness in any place, but particularly the hands indicate an incorrect weight distribution. A bike fit will redistribute your weight and help you to be better balanced. If you still have issues, (numbness in the hands is common) there are solutions such as better choice of gloves, handlebar tape etc. Knees are a serious issue to be addressed. Once again, a bike fit should sort this, because you have to achieve a balance among the points of contact, the feet, seat and hands. You seem to be very fortunate in one area and that is your seat/saddle. Cherish that and do not change a thing unless you absolutely have to

Mechanical improvements to the bike are useful. Contrary to tradition, the narrower tyres are now less favoured and people are running 25mm and 28 mm tyres at lower pressures for a good balance between rolling resistance and comfort. It is the quality of the tyres that counts. This means more expensive tyres like Continental GP 4000 S or Michelin Pro or similar.

Good luck with your quest.

If you want a recommendation for a bike fitter, post a request in this thread on the forum or PM me.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

JAC

Postby JAC » Thu 28 Apr 2016, 9:26 am

I agree with fixie that really skinny tyres are not so popular, but the OP is currently on 32 (if the bike is as purchased).
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

weg

Postby weg » Thu 28 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

Welcome aboard and glad you're enjoying it. Nothing to add really, but +1 to everything above.

Lighter is easier, drops will give you more hand positions and geometry that suits you beats a brand plucked out of thin air. And definitely get the knee sorted. Shoes?

Ericaiggo

Postby Ericaiggo » Sun 01 May 2016, 5:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for your advise and information.. I have started looking into and getting bits.. i would love a recommendation for a bike fitter in Melbourne ideally north areas please..

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun 01 May 2016, 9:51 pm

I think the guys at Essendon Cyclery are fantastic :)
http://www.essendoncyclery.com.au/
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

ridinwithdale

Postby ridinwithdale » Sun 15 May 2016, 6:47 pm

echoing dalai and fixie, bike fit bike fit bike fit.... at the very least it will allow you to know what you are looking for in a newer bike or it will allow you to customise your existing bike. changing stems and or cranks to the correct length will be a lot cheaper than a new bike. bar ends will also allow more hand positions on your flat handlebars...

Return to “Women's Cycling”