The Ascent

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Mike.Ayling
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 7:46 pm
Location: City of Whitehorse
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:34 pm

I did not realise that RACV were involved but that would take some of the financial pain from BV.

BV are cunning b@#$%^ds

Mike
Image
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

wagger
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun 16 Oct 2005, 5:13 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby wagger » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:I did not realise that RACV were involved but that would take some of the financial pain from BV.

BV are cunning b@#$%^ds

Mike


Could explain BN's stance for being against the one metre passing law being implemented in Victoria. Another voice for RACV maybe?

Doesnt racv also sponsor the GVBR? Yet they dont advertise their bike assist in rideon magazine :? (Maybe i am reading too much into it as rideon is now a national magazine)
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

ladiestepthru
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun 11 Jul 2010, 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby ladiestepthru » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm

I participated in this event and being a local, and a commuter I had been hearing all the complaints about the road closures but I had a great ride and wasn't held up by punctures. There were plenty of people out waving and cheering us on and the only time I felt any negative vibes was in the Basin just as we headed up Mountain Hwy. The protesters looked disapproving but were quiet. I don't do much riding near home because I find I get cramped up and twitchy on the narrow windy roads but I also hate having to drive my car somewhere to ride so I generally just ride off down the hill to play somewhere more congenial. I loved having the roads closed so I could really enjoy the climbs and the weather was perfect. I don't have many friends who would be interested in coming for more than a very casual spin so I was always going to be enthusiastic about it. I have read through all the posts in this thread and I agree with many of the comments. 100kms up and down these hills with a 6-7 hour cut off is a big ask but I had plenty of time to ponder about the thinking behind the event and why it was structured the way it was. We went off in waves with the quicker finishers going out first. The cut off times meant that the slowest cyclists had to be capable of tapping out 20Kms+ otherwise the sweepers would have caught them. The route was such that if you got to just over half way and felt you were going to struggle to get to the last rest spot, you could peel off to the left to do the 65kms instead. The organisers handed out stickers with the cut-off times to help people stay on track. I would probably have still done the event if it was less challenging just to swell the numbers but it would have been a lot of trouble to go to for a shorter, easier ride. I don't know why it had to be women only really. like most people who love riding their bike, I loved riding my bike. ;)

Dalai
Posts: 3225
Joined: Tue 20 Nov 2007, 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby Dalai » Tue 19 Apr 2016, 11:19 am

Well done ladiestepthru. And welcome!

ladiestepthru wrote: I don't know why it had to be women only really. like most people who love riding their bike, I loved riding my bike. ;)


Probably to save women having to face and be put off by the often brash male bravado that seems to pervade cycling these days.*

* I ride solo these days as I am put off by it! Only riding with others when racing!

User avatar
jvb
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri 10 Nov 2006, 8:43 pm
Location: Looking down on the suburbs
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby jvb » Tue 19 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm

ladiestepthru wrote:I participated in this event and being a local, and a commuter I had been hearing all the complaints about the road closures but I had a great ride and wasn't held up by punctures. There were plenty of people out waving and cheering us on and the only time I felt any negative vibes was in the Basin just as we headed up Mountain Hwy. The protesters looked disapproving but were quiet. I don't do much riding near home because I find I get cramped up and twitchy on the narrow windy roads but I also hate having to drive my car somewhere to ride so I generally just ride off down the hill to play somewhere more congenial. I loved having the roads closed so I could really enjoy the climbs and the weather was perfect. I don't have many friends who would be interested in coming for more than a very casual spin so I was always going to be enthusiastic about it. I have read through all the posts in this thread and I agree with many of the comments. 100kms up and down these hills with a 6-7 hour cut off is a big ask but I had plenty of time to ponder about the thinking behind the event and why it was structured the way it was. We went off in waves with the quicker finishers going out first. The cut off times meant that the slowest cyclists had to be capable of tapping out 20Kms+ otherwise the sweepers would have caught them. The route was such that if you got to just over half way and felt you were going to struggle to get to the last rest spot, you could peel off to the left to do the 65kms instead. The organisers handed out stickers with the cut-off times to help people stay on track. I would probably have still done the event if it was less challenging just to swell the numbers but it would have been a lot of trouble to go to for a shorter, easier ride. I don't know why it had to be women only really. like most people who love riding their bike, I loved riding my bike. ;)


Wow, you joined the forum in 2010 and this is your first post!

We are local as well and I had to head out to Yellingbo first thing in the morning, before the roads were closed. On the way back some roads were closed, we knew which ones and just went another way. No big deal. I think that local opposition was far less than what the media made it out to be, but where's the news in that.

ladiestepthru
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun 11 Jul 2010, 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby ladiestepthru » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:21 pm

Haha, it's true! Been a lurker for years. I'd like to thank the good folk who do post: I've gleaned plenty of info over the years.

weg

Re: The Ascent

Postby weg » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm

Good to hear a first hand report ladiestepthru and glad you enjoyed it. The protesters sound like a miserable bunch.

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9642
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby Canuck » Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:06 am

People's reports of locals out to cheer them on from the roadside says it all, I think.

User avatar
baudman
Posts: 18826
Joined: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby baudman » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 7:37 am

We urgently need your help – if we don't hit our 2,000 rider or $195K target by Friday 27 January, 2017, we will not be able to run The Ascent women-only ride in April 2017.

This year, 700 incredible women came together and rode the first The Ascent ride on closed roads in Victoria's Yarra Ranges. It was an unforgettable, life-changing day for those who took part. Many of our team members will argue that they saw some of the biggest finish line smiles they've ever seen. If you don't believe us, click here to check out the photos for yourself.

But as a non-profit, for-purpose organisation charged with the responsibility of turning Australia into a nation of bike riders, we cannot run the event in 2017 without more riders or a strong financial backing.

So rather than cancelling it – we're fighting for The Ascent through crowdfunding. We're giving it a chance because we believe, now more than ever, that our dream of 50/50 can be a reality.

We're asking any woman who wants to ride 40km, 70km or 100km through Victoria's lush Yarra Ranges, on closed roads, to commit now and pay later. Commit early and you'll only be charged once we hit our target. And we've got to hit that target by 27 January or the ride will be put on hold in 2017...

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... on6.com.au

User avatar
michael_w
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm
Location: Upwey, Vic
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby michael_w » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 7:51 am

Last year it was a 'run at any cost' proposition. It seems you can put a price tag on that!
Image

the lone rider
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm
Location: Mordialloc
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby the lone rider » Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:10 pm

2000 riders :shock: . The people organising this have no idea. Move it to an area that doesnt require road closures and there wont be a problem.

Mike.Ayling
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 7:46 pm
Location: City of Whitehorse
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm

the lone rider wrote:2000 riders :shock: . The people organising this have no idea. Move it to an area that doesnt require road closures and there wont be a problem.


Do you have a hilly area in mind?

Mike
Image
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

User avatar
michael_w
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm
Location: Upwey, Vic
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby michael_w » Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:43 am

the lone rider wrote:2000 riders :shock: . The people organising this have no idea. Move it to an area that doesnt require road closures and there wont be a problem.

The road closures are, in general, rolling closures which means that most areas are affected for less than two hours. There are cut off times for reaching each point and support vehicles.

The location is not the issue. The major issue confronted by the organisers are an absolute minority of local vocal opponents. Being a Hills local and attending a community meeting about last years event, the feeling was (generally) one of apathy or excitement - but that doesn't make headlines. NIMBYs are NIMBYs, no matter the issue, location or benefit. "How dare people cycle on MY road!"

In this day and age of social media, keyboard warriors anybody can grab a headline.
Image

the lone rider
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm
Location: Mordialloc
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby the lone rider » Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:03 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:
the lone rider wrote:2000 riders :shock: . The people organising this have no idea. Move it to an area that doesnt require road closures and there wont be a problem.


Do you have a hilly area in mind?

Mike


I dont think it needs to be hilly, think this was their biggest mistake.

the lone rider
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm
Location: Mordialloc
Contact:

Re: The Ascent

Postby the lone rider » Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:08 am

michael_w wrote:
the lone rider wrote:2000 riders :shock: . The people organising this have no idea. Move it to an area that doesnt require road closures and there wont be a problem.

The road closures are, in general, rolling closures which means that most areas are affected for less than two hours. There are cut off times for reaching each point and support vehicles.

The location is not the issue. The major issue confronted by the organisers are an absolute minority of local vocal opponents. Being a Hills local and attending a community meeting about last years event, the feeling was (generally) one of apathy or excitement - but that doesn't make headlines. NIMBYs are NIMBYs, no matter the issue, location or benefit. "How dare people cycle on MY road!"

In this day and age of social media, keyboard warriors anybody can grab a headline.


Road closures cost $$$. You cant have volunteers manning stop signs for rolling road closures, they need to be trained and certified. For a $195k budget I'd be interested to see a breakdown of where the costs are going. Not sure renting and setting up start/finish area and hydration stations would cost a 1/4 of that. Seems traffic control would be the biggest cost.


Return to “Women's Cycling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron