The Ascent

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Mike.Ayling

Re: The Ascent

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm

michael_w wrote:BN(V) are going into the red for this, make no mistake. Yarra Ranges Council are on board and have been quick to shut down NIMBY's in the local press as well as get on the front foot with their support.

I'm in no way saying that all of BN(V)'s intentions are noble, but I don't believe this is the last you've seen of the Ascent.

The sales, marketing and organising people will be talking it up because it is their job to do so but when the bean counters show all the red ink to the Board it may be moved to another venue where it will cost less to run or dropped completely.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 5:46 pm

michael_w wrote:BN(V) are going into the red for this, make no mistake. Yarra Ranges Council are on board and have been quick to shut down NIMBY's in the local press as well as get on the front foot with their support.

I'm in no way saying that all of BN(V)'s intentions are noble, but I don't believe this is the last you've seen of the Ascent.

I"m stretching my memory back but wasn't there 2 rides Bicycle Victoria tried say 14-15 years ago.

I still remember one was around Silvan and Cardinia Reservoirs and we had sleet, hail, rain, wind - they only ran for 1 year maybe? This started/ finished in Jells Park and was early June. This was called the "2 lakes challenge" or the "century challenge"? This was 140km with lesser distances

The other rides were the "you yangs century challenge" which was 160km or 100miles and the RTB was the 3rd ride of the 3-ride series.

The 3 rides (RTB was one) were called the "triple challenge". I'm talking 2001-ish

YouYangs was 160kms
Reservoirs Ride was 140km
RTB was 210kms

My point: BN (BV) have tried other rides and canned them due to financial failure.
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

Dalai wrote:
djw47 wrote:I've done thousands of km in the Dandenongs and never had any issues with motorists.

They must know you are local... ;)

I've ridden in the hills around 30 years. I nearly always ride out there solo and have the usual range of actions from revving, close passes, playing chicken, to verbal abuse and throwing items such as coke bottles out the window. And like BjL73, I ride close to the shoulder when possible and wave cars through. :roll:

Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky. ;)

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 6:45 pm

Not saying it is often, just that it unfortunately happens on occasion...

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:20 pm

Hearing that the 1:20 was tacked and quite a few riders had issues today.

booge

Postby booge » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:54 am

I rode up and down a bit before 7 am and there was a few riders i noticed with flats on my descent back down, as i slowed, one informed me that there were tacks on the road. As i continued down at a slow pace a number of others were fixing flats and on foot looking for tacks on the road. People are fu@^ed! I just don't get that sort of behaviour. If someone crashes and dies I'd love to see them get thrown in jail for a long time for causing it.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 8:21 am

I understand that these forums are "slowing down" but surely one of the >650 number of riders could give us her account of the day?

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

the lone rider

Postby the lone rider » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

Looking at some of the social media coverage and it seems there was quite a lot of "ambassador's" on the ride. BV says there was 700, my guess is the full paying numbers may be a bit different.

the lone rider

Postby the lone rider » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 8:59 am

booge wrote:I rode up and down a bit before 7 am and there was a few riders i noticed with flats on my descent back down, as i slowed, one informed me that there were tacks on the road. As i continued down at a slow pace a number of others were fixing flats and on foot looking for tacks on the road. People are fu@^ed! I just don't get that sort of behaviour. If someone crashes and dies I'd love to see them get thrown in jail for a long time for causing it.

Been happening for weeks since they announced the road closure. Been giving the Dandies a wide berth since. :(

weg

Postby weg » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 9:16 am

booge wrote:People are fu@^ed! I just don't get that sort of behaviour. If someone crashes and dies I'd love to see them get thrown in jail for a long time for causing it.

Yep.

MA, I doubt the new riders have found their way here, but if you use the event tag of #theRACVAscent on your fave social media you will find lots. Still, any reports welcome once they've recovered. From what I've seen, a great day out. In spite of those who can't share things like roads and the countryside for a couple of hours a year. I'd hope the tacking guarantees it's run there again.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

the lone rider wrote:
booge wrote:I rode up and down a bit before 7 am and there was a few riders i noticed with flats on my descent back down, as i slowed, one informed me that there were tacks on the road. As i continued down at a slow pace a number of others were fixing flats and on foot looking for tacks on the road. People are fu@^ed! I just don't get that sort of behaviour. If someone crashes and dies I'd love to see them get thrown in jail for a long time for causing it.

Been happening for weeks since they announced the road closure. Been giving the Dandies a wide berth since. :(

It happened 2 or 3 times about a month ago and then it went quiet until now. Once this lot of tacks are out of the way, hopefully it'll be quiet again.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

weg wrote:MA, I doubt the new riders have found their way here, but if you use the event tag of #theRACVAscent on your fave social media you will find lots.

Quite a few here.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1124906280855843/

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm

the lone rider wrote:

Don't let them win. If we stop riding the Dandies, then the anti-cycling zealots win. For what it's worth, it seems to be fairly isolated to just the bottom of the 1 in 20 and just on Sundays, and hopefully the idiot doing it will disappear back into their hole for good now that their 2 hour life-disrupting experience is over and we're headed for winter. There are plenty of other parts of the Dandenongs to ride in, almost all of them are far more interesting than the 1 in 20 anyway. Don't let one idiot ruin it for you.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:23 pm

the lone rider wrote:Looking at some of the social media coverage and it seems there was quite a lot of "ambassador's" on the ride. BV says there was 700, my guess is the full paying numbers may be a bit different.

BN quotes there were 700 entries for the ride.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:30 pm

djw47 wrote:
Dalai wrote:
djw47 wrote:I've done thousands of km in the Dandenongs and never had any issues with motorists.

They must know you are local... ;)

I've ridden in the hills around 30 years. I nearly always ride out there solo and have the usual range of actions from revving, close passes, playing chicken, to verbal abuse and throwing items such as coke bottles out the window. And like BjL73, I ride close to the shoulder when possible and wave cars through. :roll:

Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky. ;)

It happens in all sorts of locales. Yesterday we were out at Tylden - a group of 18 riders, stopped for a break about 50m from the road. There had been a lot of traffic on the road (Open Garden out at Denver) so we took a break from them. All of a sudden there was a horn honking. I turned to see a 25 -seater bus going by, with the front seat passenger's arm out the window, middle digit upraised. He was not being friendly, but we all thought "WTF??"

Absolutely no reason for such a rude act, but many people are just idiots; some act out.

Having said that we do generally find most drivers to behave quite reasonable, especially if you're not on a traffic-sewer.

Return to “Women's Cycling”