Looking for FASTER LADY BIKE! Thoughts on Trek Lexa???

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Canuck

Re: Looking for FASTER LADY BIKE! Thoughts on Trek Lexa???

Postby Canuck » Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm

^ :lol: Sounds much better than the end of your last post in the thread....
Enjoy!

weg

Postby weg » Thu 23 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm

:) Sounds like a good result.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:37 am

I picked it up from the shop last Saturday after a full 'size fit' adjustment and was too scared to try riding it on the main road. I wheeled it down to my first side street with a full bike lane and wobblingly took off. Terri-f*ck-ing-fied. Wobble wobble, can't turn my head, not sure how to stop, gear was wrong and too scared to try changing it. If anyone opens a car door I'm going to just have to hit it.
Rode down the bike path briefly, thinking: I have made a terrible (and costly) mistake... Everything feels completely wrong.
Got home, still unsure. Sunday: waited for a break in the rain to ride to a friend's. Wobble wobble whoah. Hmm this isn't so bad. Hey crap how fast can I go! Heehee.. Hmm! Stopped at lights, then took off whacking loads of power into the pedal in error, and almost fell over. Hmm.. Cars seemed to be playing nicely too, though that could have been them seeing me wobble. Wind struck and the bike wobbled more! Nearly got blown to one side. Much lighter bike = brain has to relearn cycling techniques.
Got home and felt much more positive. Thinking... That was fun! But felt much more hunched over and less upright, worrying about the commute to work.

By Friday I had realized I was getting fewer pains than I normally get from riding. I think this bike fits me loads better. It is really easy to get on and off at lights: the dimensions have my left foot closer to the ground so I don't stretch out my toe at lights without dismounting like I used to. There is something really fun about taking off.

I used to (unintentionally - sometimes nervously) grip really hard on my handlebars, if I encountered too many dodgy car moves on the commute, and last week on my old bike I had a really sore upper arm from tension after one particular ride home. Basically I think I was putting as much energy into my arms as I was my legs. With the road bike, aaaall the power is going into the pedals. I simply can't waste energy in my arms like I used to because of the design of the bike. This was a really bad habit I was vaguely aware of, but I didn't remember it every time to try to fix it. I sometimes used to have to think 'stop using your arms' while I was riding!

And with the dropbars, well, surely I'm not the only one to note the similarity to a first person shooter game? Pew pew pew, take that, jaywalking pedestrian!

:D

weg

Postby weg » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

Good story. :lol:

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

I need a bell or something, but have really limited space on the bars, plus not sure how to reach the bell quickly as I might need to? I've been shouting out various things to get people to know I am overtaking them, or who are stepping out without looking, but I then spend ages wondering if they actually heard me or if I used a shitty tone of voice.
Are there any solutions for noisemakers on a drop bar setup? Integrated twisting jelly bell?

fixie

Postby fixie » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 5:18 pm

I put one of these Incredibell on my bar end a few years ago but I took it off because it sounded at very bump or so it seemed to me and was inclined to make me feel embarrassed when with a bunch. OK for riding alone though as the merry tinkling amused me. :) There is a range of alternatives on the same website though. I bought mine from Abbotsford Cycles.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

Cool! Thank you, that is really nifty!
I also found http://triggerbell.com/ and the Osaka roadie bell http://www.osakabell.com/products.html. maybe I will get one or two of each hehe!

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 2:22 pm

I came across this video showing a neat installation of a Spurcycle bell on drop bars. The part of interest is near the end. Spurcycle bell installation
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

Very Portlandia! I have ordered a triggerbell but I would be open to getting a Spurcycle... Depends on how well Triggerbell functions. That video is great for position ideas and for the sound effect demo. (I spend my commute now trying to figure out where it can be placed, that it won't get in my way etc.)

Spurcycle is much more expensive, around 50 USD, but it is a damn good looking thing and looks/sounds like it knows what it's doing. Looks fun to use. I'm quite tempted.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 03 May 2015, 4:33 pm

OMFG I LOVE MY NEW BIKE YAAAAAAAY

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 09 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm

WHEEEEE

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm

I know it's old...but I just read through looking for rec's for lady friendly brands and shops. Thanks! Looking forward to posting my own wheeeeeeeee soon.
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:52 am

cold_erin wrote:I know it's old...but I just read through looking for rec's for lady friendly brands and shops. Thanks! Looking forward to posting my own wheeeeeeeee soon.

cold_erin lives! :shock:

Return to Melbourne bike?

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Wed 16 Sep 2015, 7:19 am

Canuck wrote:cold_erin lives! :shock:

:shock: indeed! I'm currently sitting in Santiago de Chile, but in my absence have been in the wi-fi paradises of Siberia, Uzbekistan, China, Bolivia and so on.
But I'll be home in October and need a bike :D I sold my two, so apparently I'm 'allowed' to buy a new one.
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 16 Sep 2015, 9:55 am

cold_erin wrote:
Canuck wrote:cold_erin lives! :shock:

:shock: indeed! I'm currently sitting in Santiago de Chile, but in my absence have been in the wi-fi paradises of Siberia, Uzbekistan, China, Bolivia and so on.
But I'll be home in October and need a bike :D I sold my two, so apparently I'm 'allowed' to buy a new one.

Awesome! Enjoy the rest of your journey. Feel free to share pics of various places you have been exploring... :P and good luck with your bike search.

Return to “Women's Cycling”