Looking for FASTER LADY BIKE! Thoughts on Trek Lexa???

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Heather

Re: Looking for FASTER LADY BIKE! Thoughts on Trek Lexa???

Postby Heather » Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

weg wrote: One of my friends is the same height as me (well, she's 3mm shorter now we think whistles innocently) but we have very different proportions (short/long legs, short/long torsos) so we ride different set-ups.
^^^ that might be me :oops:

Keptek wrote:but at the same time there was one bike I had -thought- I really wanted and was vaguely saving up for, but to be honest I had trouble reaching the brakes due to my hands, and the bike shop said the components were as small as they got.
My new roadie is awesome for reach on the drops, the bars are a great size & the hoods aren't as big as other hoods. I've had a few roadies, so have had comparisons. So I think there are options available that work for small hands.
Keptek wrote:I'm a bit f-cked off about the experience I had trying bikes which didn't fit so I am going to focus on the Trek brand which promotes its women-specific design, which incorporates fit.

***Warning, blatant shop plug coming"""
***More warnings: I ride Giant bikes, and love them***

May I suggest you drop into Essendon Cyclery, not sure if you have been there in the past, but I'm pretty sure you will find them helpful and not pushy at all. Giant have an extensive women's specific range.
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the good humoured responses, Weg and Heather.

Weg, would you recommend I hire a road bike from... St Kilda Cycles? They're the only ones I know who hire out bikes. It's a good idea, just need to know who does that.

Heather, Giant, hmm... So you mean the Avail or the Defy bikes - as my price range is up to the $1600ish mark - what can you say about these types of bikes to convince me? Do you love Giants because they have good components or...? What makes them so special?

I have been made to understand that Trek don't sell their 44cm Trek Lexa SLX in Australia! Which makes no sense at all to me.

I am still going to try and find a 47cm Trek somewhere in Melbourne to test ride... I just really like the appearance... http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ro ... x_compact/ ... And I think they deserve my dollars for making the effort of having an acronym for women's specific design. It feels like voting with my dollar. VOTING FOR WOMEN'S RIGHTS YEAAAAH! uhh... If it falls flat I'll give Giant a go.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

Any thoughts on Specialized Dolce, which I've had someone try to sell me this week as well?

http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bik ... e-elite-eq

Is any of this stuff any good?

Specialized E5 Premium Aluminium w/ Smartweld Technology, Women's Endurance Geometry, Zertz
Specialized FACT carbon fork w/ size-specific taper for ultimate steering precision
Strong and reliable AXIS Classic wheelset for worry-free performance
Specialized Espoir Sport tyres w/ double BlackBelt protection are affordable and reliable
Shimano Tiagra compact crankset w/ 50/34 configuration for lightweight, wide-range gearing
AXIS 1.0 brakes offer efficient, confident braking in all conditions
Precise and reliable shifting with the Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed rear derailleur

weg

Postby weg » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

Yep, St Kilda or Bike Now. XS will be hard to find; they often don't bring the full size range to Australia cos, well, chicks don't ride bikes do they? And bikes should be man sized anyway. But Warren at Bike Now might try to find you one.

Giants are generally a good value package, although a little long in the top tube traditionally. That might have changed, but most of the production bikes are built to a price rather than WSD. And not everyone needs WSD anyway.

I had a Specialized Dolce as my first roadie, but it's how the package rides for you that's important.

Heather

Postby Heather » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:55 pm

This:
Keptek wrote: I just really like the appearance...

Is about the most important thing. And you need to like how it feels to ride.
I like Giant bikes as they are:
    Great value
    They go down to XS in most of the models
I have had 4 Giant roadies, two XS TCR's - men's frame, a XS Brava (Cyclocross) women specific, and a XS Avail Advanced women's specific

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Wed 25 Feb 2015, 8:52 pm

HEY LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND

http://cyclesgalleria.com.au/products/t ... -2015.html

TREK LEXA SLX and THEY HAVE THE 44CM LISTED

OOOOOO.

I might actually get to try it? I bet I'll get on and I'll just be like, This is sh.it.

zen navigator

Postby zen navigator » Thu 26 Feb 2015, 7:33 am

Hi Keptek

I was about to suggest Cycles Galleria for trying out Trek bikes. The shop in Bourke St in town had some good deals on some quite small womens road bikes (sorry, don't know exactly which ones as they were too small for me), and the staff are very helpful with womens fit, eg the brake reach issue. They also have a big Trek store in Camberwell too. They're normally happy for you to take a bike for at least a spin around the block to see if it fits (IMO, if a bike shop is not willing to do this they're not worth buying from!)

If you're needing to keep the panniers, a cyclocross bike is a good option, as these often have pannier rack bolts. You don't have to run wider/more nobbly tyres on it either - I'm running either 23mm or 25mm road tyres (my bad, I can't remember) on mine at the moment as it's currently only an on road commuter.

Can I ask why you need the panniers? I thought I was committed to mine until I broke the rack and had to use a small backpack as an emergency measure - never looked back (much easier to squeeze through narrow gaps ;) )

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:02 pm

Update - Cycles Galleria do not have the 44cm.
No one does. I contacted Trek's Facebook page and they confirmed they don't send it to Aus.

weg

Postby weg » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:54 pm

Keptek wrote:Update - Cycles Galleria do not have the 44cm.
No one does. I contacted Trek's Facebook page and they confirmed they don't send it to Aus.

Not uncommon, sadly. Which is part of the reason it's so difficult for women to buy bikes that fit.

Heather

Postby Heather » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 7:04 pm

weg wrote:
Keptek wrote:Update - Cycles Galleria do not have the 44cm.

Not uncommon, sadly. Which is part of the reason it's so difficult for women to buy bikes that fit.

I disagree...I've never seemed to have trouble buying bikes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:09 pm

zen navigator wrote:Can I ask why you need the panniers? I thought I was committed to mine until I broke the rack and had to use a small backpack as an emergency measure - never looked back (much easier to squeeze through narrow gaps ;) )

Hey - argh, don't ask me this! I am constantly questioning my use of panniers. Look, some days I could go 1 pannier, but other times, like when i'm swapping my towel, or if the weather's switchy-changey and I've had to put my jacket and/or scarf, beanie, leg warmers in... I also bring my lunch and at the moment I'm carrying my water bottle and my bike lock, so it's all adding up.

Plus my new commute is 1hr each way. That's a long time to have a backpack on my back each day. And I know whichever backpack I use will get ruined through the sweaty-ness it will be absorbing each week!

I know what you mean about squeezing through spaces, but a friend at work once said she liked the 'extra width' that panniers provide, which may force drivers to give you that extra bit of space as perceptually you look wider with them on. They're also good contact points for hi vis/reflectors for added visibility.

As an update, I tested a 47cm Trek Lexa S today and it fit fine, the standover was comfortable. There's a 2 month wait to get the SLX in this size though (Melb-wide). And... boo hoo... it has pink highlights, which I didn't notice on the website images.
Additionally, there's a sale on Trek bikes - I think it's worldwide as I think I saw it on the US Facebook page - at the moment till March 8 so you can kind of chip away at the extra money you're paying for the brand name.
I found it a smooth ride and it felt better than the 51cm Specialized Dolce I rode in the week. However, that could also just be that this was the right size... and I now know how to change gears on this type of bike... and I've now had more practice riding this type of bike. Galleria offer free lifetime basic services for bikes they sell... and Specialized are pushy.

weg

Postby weg » Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:47 pm

Sounds like progress. I swap bikes depending on load too, although I need the tourer/panniers because of all the clothes in winter but can mostly get by with a backpack on the roadie over summer.

If you can find a few more to test you'll be getting a better feel for it all every time. Just check they have mounting points for a pannier (best option). You might decide otherwise but at least you know beforehand.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm

Keptek wrote:Plus my new commute is 1hr each way. That's a long time to have a backpack on my back each day.

That's also weight on your tail. More pressure. Not good.

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

MUDGUARD QUESTION

The bike shop thinks I should get Topeak mini-fenders: http://cyclesgalleria.com.au/products/topeak-defender-r1-r2-mudguard-set.html

But I think I should just go the whole hog and get full fenders, because I'm not an aesthetic road bike purist and I don't think I'll be doing a biannual seasonal removal/replacement of the mini fenders.

Any thoughts either way? i think the only argument for the mini ones is that they can be removed and make your bike look pretty. I'm guessing they don't offer as much protection from schmutz as the full fenders.

Trek sell a commuting bike called Lync which comes with shiny black full size fenders: http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/city/urban_utility/lync/lync_5/#

But then I start thinking... This will make my new bike look like my old bike! But then I think... No it won't! They look completely different.

AAAARGH WHY CAN'T WE ALL LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE THERE ARE NO CHOICES AND THERE'S ONLY ONE BIKE OPTION AND YOU HAVE IT AND YOU DON'T COMPLAIN BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOWWWWW ANY BETTERRRRR

Keptek

Postby Keptek » Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:12 pm

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That is all.

:D

Return to “Women's Cycling”