Is there such a thing as a 'feminine' way to ride a bike?

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Is there such a thing as a 'feminine' way to ride a bike?

Postby baudman » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

via CyclingCentral
...A couple of months ago, the writer and bike advocate Elly Blue started a conversation on Twitter with this seemingly simple question: “What does "feminine" mean? I'm serious. It keeps coming up in the context of things women can do to feel that way on a bike, + I'm confused.”

The question of what exactly it means to be a woman riding a bicycle remains complex.

That tweet set off a wave of comments about the way bikes and bike clothing are marketed to women, the ever-contentious concept of “Cycle Chic,” and a whole lot more. It’s not a new conversation, but it is a remarkably persistent one...

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commut ... tion=title

Marx

Re: Is there such a thing as a 'feminine' way to ride a bike

Postby Marx » Mon 28 Apr 2014, 7:47 am

Pink & light blue... and maybe frame sizes need to account for very broadly speaking, smaller body size.
I even think the whole shorter top tube for women's geo is a bit of a crock.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 10 May 2014, 10:39 am

The question of what exactly it means to be a woman riding a bicycle remains complex.

Don't believe the hype

How you ride, what you ride, what you wear while riding - these are all related to the individual. Altering these things is not the key to getting more women riding, IMO. Other factors, as the article even acknowledges, are at play. Trying to get women to talk about 'feminine riding' or sell a marketing version of 'feminine riding' is not going to make long term change in habits if that habit is not really part of the picture.

Marx wrote:I even think the whole shorter top tube for women's geo is a bit of a crock.

Bikes would be much better marketed unisex in relation to things like fit to body. Again, just my opinion. Yes, I have one 'women's' bike, and yes, it was because of a much shorter top tube, but because I have monkey arms and long legs, it's still a trade off in fit that's NQR....like my 'men's' bike that's got the legs right but the reach wrong.... Maybe time to save for a custom frame.... Oh, wait... is that feminine?

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sat 10 May 2014, 11:13 am

My 2c. (I did enjoy reading the quotes in the article).

Are there shoes which are 100% designed for the feminine form? Of course. (Although, some blokes wear them too, which is cool if you like to).
Are there shoes which are essentially unisex, but marketed to women in stereotypical colours? Sure.
Are there shoes which are in [cough] gender neutral colours, but are worn by women. Certainly.

My take on cycling is much the same. Some women-specific bikes/cycling paraphernalia is going to suit some women better than a male/non-specific variant - I'm thinking knicks and saddles being the most obvious - but also to do with bike geometry. But the majority of it - meh, it's a case by base basis depending upon the individual's size/frame/preferences.

I'm mindful of some women who would choose a pink/aqua running shoe over a silver/blue one - just for the look or even name - even if the other variant is the same, and perhaps even cheaper. So the same for cycling. If it gets more people in to cycling overall, grouse. Am I happy to sell a step through to a bloke - probably far more than many salespeople - if it fulfils a need, cool. They do make sense for shopping, after all. ;)

Cycling can be very 'feminine'*. It all depends upon the cyclist.

*It can also be stylish, fashionable, sporty, punk, tragic, etc. etc

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 10 May 2014, 12:26 pm

baudman wrote:Cycling can be very 'feminine'*. It all depends upon the cyclist.

(from the original linked article) A couple of months ago, the writer and bike advocate Elly Blue started a conversation on Twitter with this seemingly simple question: “What does "feminine" mean? I'm serious. It keeps coming up in the context of things women can do to feel that way on a bike, + I'm confused.”

:|

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Tue 13 May 2014, 7:34 pm

I ride a men's bike in a skirt, does that count?
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 13 May 2014, 8:29 pm

cold_erin wrote:I ride a men's bike in a skirt, does that count?

Conchita? Is that you????

This does bring back memories of your manly femininity, cold_erin....(or is it feminine manliness?) :?

(I'm just jealous that I can't grow a beard. They're so hip these days.)

But skirts on men's bikes: a whole new kind of technique to riding with some skirts over the top tube ....

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 14 May 2014, 7:50 am

Depends how short he skirt is.
With DDCX events coming up, there might be a surge of men on men's bikes wearing skirts.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 14 May 2014, 8:50 am

Marx wrote:Depends how short he skirt is.
With DDCX events coming up, there might be a surge of men on men's bikes wearing skirts.

Length, and sometimes material - if you're going with a pencil skirt, it's good to have some lycra content in there...
I thought a couple years ago that one of the male riders had set the bar, wearing a g-string

Kaz

Postby Kaz » Wed 14 May 2014, 8:55 am

I went the skirt option today.
Short, not too tight, so no problems.
The only issue is when they sometimes get caught on the seat. That can get ugly :lol: :lol: .
The other day I accidently wore jeans, that had far more issues.
Get well soon Angelo

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 14 May 2014, 10:36 am

Kaz wrote:I went the skirt option today.
Short, not too tight, so no problems.
The only issue is when they sometimes get caught on the seat. That can get ugly :lol: :lol: .
The other day I accidently wore jeans, that had far more issues.

This reminds me of a random day over a year ago when I was sitting at work, received a text from an unknown number: " Are you wearing a skirt? " :lol:

And +1 to getting caught on the seat :o

weg

Postby weg » Wed 14 May 2014, 11:10 am

I like this women's take on riding in skirts - maximise your underwear investmentand flash on. http://www.happywomanmagazine.com/Featu ... skirts.htm

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed 14 May 2014, 12:10 pm

weg wrote:I like this women's take on riding in skirts - maximise your underwear investmentand flash on. http://www.happywomanmagazine.com/Featu ... skirts.htm

GOLD!

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Wed 14 May 2014, 1:45 pm

weg wrote:I like this women's take on riding in skirts - maximise your underwear investmentand flash on. http://www.happywomanmagazine.com/Featu ... skirts.htm

That sounded very creepy until I realised the gender of the person who wrote it. :|
Office use only.

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Thu 15 May 2014, 9:08 pm

Canuck wrote:(I'm just jealous that I can't grow a beard. They're so hip these days.)

Apparently we've reached peak beard, so it's all over anyway.

Now, has anyone seen my whimsy?
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Return to “Women's Cycling”