shorts for a petite lady

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
terryansimon

shorts for a petite lady

Postby terryansimon » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 1:24 am

my fiancee is a very petite lady. while she stands at 157cm, she's got teeny tiny waist. she would like to get a pair of cycling shorts for herself. and this is where the "trouble" starts.

she tried a Castelli Palmares in XS, and it didn't fit her. she said it felt loose, and the chamois looked huge and bunched up when she was standing. the chamois itself did not sit flush against the body, but bulged out, especially right at the top of the bum.

I decided to email Ground Effect to ask about sizing, and they suggested to give their XS a small. so I ordered a pair of Jitterbugs in XS for her. like the Palmares, it didn't fit snugly, and the bunching above the bum was even more evident.

would any one have any idea on where my fiancee could get something that fit reasonably well without said problems? or is it a case of her having to live with it owing to her size?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: shorts for a petite lady

Postby Snuffy » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 5:34 am

Reaching new levels of softness!

weg

Postby weg » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

No, she doesn't have to live with it. Try XS in a Sugoi RS or Santini Gil Rea, and there's others. Santini also does some very classy kids bibs and shorts with an excellent pad, although she might want to cover the 'kids' on the thigh. But if the other XS fit and it's just the pad, she won't need kids. Just get good knicks with good pads.

terryansimon

Postby terryansimon » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:19 am

It did cross my mind to try kids sizes. But we have been told by the LBS (and GE actually) we bought our bikes from that they tend to use a slightly more inferior chamois pad. Them and GE also said that while it may fit her in terms of waist clearance, it may not fit so well in terms of height and chamois placement. We'll go check out the Sugois and Santinis. Owing to the fitting issues we have encountered so far, is there a shop that we could go to to physically try the shorts on?

tonyk

Postby tonyk » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

Santini womens, and Santini in general, are quite small sizings. I'll check stock at work today.....

JAC

Postby JAC » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

The Santini GilREA and Sugoi RS suggested by weg are stocked by Cycling and Sports Clothing - which have stores in Richmond, Elwood and Surrey Hills.

http://www.cyclingsports.com.au/womens- ... 0c0a4f400f

The Sugoi RS are also on the stock list at LeKnicks in Black Rock.

http://www.leknicks.com.au/categories.p ... s-and-Bibs
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

terryansimon

Postby terryansimon » Sat 29 Mar 2014, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the help guys. She bought a pair from Bicycle Superstore, and another pair from Cycling and Sports Clothing. Funnily enough the Sugoi and Santini shorts didn't fit her properly, owing to it being loose at the thighs. She settled on a pair of Bellwether and a pair of Louis Garneau. Skins had one that fit too, as well as a pair of Sugoi 3/4 shorts, but she passed on that for now.

Melissa164

Postby Melissa164 » Mon 31 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

I have a pair that are too small for me. The waist is tiny.

Ill check the brand when I'm home and let you know.

Melissa164

Postby Melissa164 » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

The brand is 'odlo'.

I think I bought them from pro bike kit, but withthe overseas postal cost return was not worth it.

Contact me if you are interested in buying and Ill let you know the sizing

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Fri 09 May 2014, 4:50 pm

very late reply to this but anyhoo...

if she gets really serious about it and wants to spend some money, rapha make an xxs in their shorts.

actually, they seem to make xxs in a lot of their stuff. but it is expensive. (and according to a lot of people a bit of a w@nk. however, i really disagree as i own a lot of their female gear.)

Return to “Women's Cycling”