oh the pain!

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
rjk
Location: eastern burbs (ringwood) or drooling on some carbon bike in some LBS

Re: oh the pain!

Postby rjk » Wed 16 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

fixie wrote:
rjk wrote:Hi I have just post in this topic about the selle smp saddles have a look at it, this saddle has a very wide cutout and it works for lots of people both men and women :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24681

With a selection of 6 sizes, 16 models and 10 available in a "Lady" version, the choice is bewildering. You do need to know exactly what your problem/issues are and how a particular version will meet your needs.

As i stated before, people who stock this saddle also have test saddles, i got mine from letour in ringwood, i had one of their test saddles for 3 weeks before i purchased mine. :)
Salsa casseroll triple 105
Boardman CX pro
Trek Domane Project 1

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:02 am

rjk wrote:
fixie wrote:
rjk wrote:Hi I have just post in this topic about the selle smp saddles have a look at it, this saddle has a very wide cutout and it works for lots of people both men and women :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24681

With a selection of 6 sizes, 16 models and 10 available in a "Lady" version, the choice is bewildering. You do need to know exactly what your problem/issues are and how a particular version will meet your needs.

As i stated before, people who stock this saddle also have test saddles, i got mine from letour in ringwood, i had one of their test saddles for 3 weeks before i purchased mine. :)

We bought from Grand Prix Cycles in Caulfield, got two of these for Mrs P. Loves them $50 test ride, find the right saddle for you, if you buy, the $50 deposit/rental comes off the sale price. All very fare and usable.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

kacjp

Postby kacjp » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:15 am

My two friends who have just started riding are looking for a bike shop in Geelong that "rents" out saddles. Anyone know of one?

Wallaby

Postby Wallaby » Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

am looking at trying new saddles as well - I spoke to the guys at Hendry Cycles in Ocean Grove (haven't done it yet) but they said they have some demo saddles that I can tryout to work out which ones I want to buy - so maybe give them a call and see if they confirm what I have been told.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:32 pm

When I had the huge 'pain in the sensitive parts' issue with the unisex seat (torture device as I call it) on my bike after only doing a 5km commute eachway, I took the risk and purchased from Wiggle the Selle Italia seat that is pictured already in this forum (as it was like 2-3 times the price from the LBS).

You should see how many reviews that seat has on there ( including mine from early-mid last year). :shock:

I'm glad that forums like this one show that there are alternatives and that you don't have to ride in pain.

elefunksoup

Postby elefunksoup » Fri 13 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

Great advice on the various Selle SMP models here:
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/

I've done 130k on my new Lite 209 and I'm very happy. I got my on Ebay. Much prefer it to Selle Italia and Specialized.

The 'Lady' models, BTW, are different in colour-scheme only from the unisex ones.

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm

This article on choosing a saddle on Total Womens Cycling may be helpful to those struggling to find nirvana.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

JAC

Postby JAC » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

Some thoughts from British Cycling’s head physiotherapist, Phil Burt in this article from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... e-soreness
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 5:51 pm

JAC wrote:Some thoughts from British Cycling’s head physiotherapist, Phil Burt in this article from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... e-soreness

You can find the study referred to here along with associated cross references.

I was rather saddened to realise that this study goes back to 2002 and deserves to be better known.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Return to “Women's Cycling”