women's specific roady

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
osmund

women's specific roady

Postby osmund » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

Ok so I really think that I need a new road bike (have been saying this for the past 3 years), and after a bike fit it apprears that I am best suited to a women's specific frames/designs. So for all those women out there riding, can you recommend your/a bike?

I feel a bit daunted by all the bloody brands out there, I would like to strike a few off without having to ride them. I am interested in a more endurance type bike (rather than a competition one) as I will only be riding around with friends on it. I have test ridden a Specialized Ruby (I think) and it didn't suit me. And I currently own an entry level Trek roady (plus a few more others...) :D

So any advice would be welcome. :)

JAC

Re: women's specific roady

Postby JAC » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

You've dismissed the Specialized Ruby (which many would be consider a very nice bike) as "unsuitable" without giving any explanation, so it's a bit hard to suggest what would suit you better. The standard advice is always "try lots", and figure out what works for you.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

osmund

Postby osmund » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

JAC wrote:You've dismissed the Specialized Ruby (which many would be consider a very nice bike) as "unsuitable" without giving any explanation, so it's a bit hard to suggest what would suit you better. The standard advice is always "try lots", and figure out what works for you.

True, but I really can't be bothered trying lots of road bikes. It took me about 3 months of trying 'lots' of mountain bikes to end up with a great mtb, but I just don't want to go through that again as I won't be investing as much money into my new road bike (about $2K). So I am hoping some people on here might be able to give me some insight into what brands/models might be best to try out (and hopefully save me a little bit of time).

So I test road the Ruby well over a year ago so from memory the Ruby felt too large (at 51cm) and while I thought it was awesome to ride, I just didn't feel right. But honestly I can't remember exactly what I didn't like about it.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

Giant's Avail range is their endurance-geometry women's series, with models ranging from entry to pretty good, aluminium and carbon frames. The carbon frames start at $1700, specced with new Shimano Tiagra 10-speed components. The groupset may be lowish-end, but that can be upgraded over time, and is compatible with the higher groups, so upgrades can be done progressively as required. :wink:

Note: I work in a shop that sells Giants.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

JAC

Postby JAC » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

osmund wrote:True, but I really can't be bothered trying lots of road bikes. It took me about 3 months of trying 'lots' of mountain bikes to end up with a great mtb, but I just don't want to go through that again as I won't be investing as much money into my new road bike (about $2K). So I am hoping some people on here might be able to give me some insight into what brands/models might be best to try out (and hopefully save me a little bit of time).

So I test road the Ruby well over a year ago so from memory the Ruby felt too large (at 51cm) and while I thought it was awesome to ride, I just didn't feel right. But honestly I can't remember exactly what I didn't like about it.

Well, I think you know the answer. You put the research in for your MTB and got a great bike as a result. When you are ready for a great road bike, go try bikes - in your size (which can be more difficult in womens range).
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

I don't know what size you need, but here is a WSD bike with 105/Tiagra for $1200.
Up and at 'em

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

This Sunday.

Test ride mine.

:D

You know you want to!

fattima

Postby fattima » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

King of NAF.

Kaz

Postby Kaz » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

+1. That looks great. I love my spesh but it isn't wsd coz I couldn't get one big enough to try. Maybe give the spesh another chance too.
Get well soon Angelo

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

fattima wrote:http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles/scott/road/contessa-cr1-team/preston/vic/100175412

Because it looks great (change the bar tape and saddle)

ooh - I like the look of that one! You can test-ride mine if you can't find one in the right size to try.
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 11:41 am

After a bike fit you've discovered you need a certain type of frame shape. It doesn't necessarily have to come badged as "women's specific". Beware, some models will have an identical frame with a different paint job (pinker) and lower specced running gear, narrower bars and wider saddle and call that women's specific.
If you need a particular frame then search for that frame.
Make a note of what your frame requirements are, eg long head tube, short top tube etc etc, then ask about frames that might suit your requirements.

Note: I'm specifically a woman but have no women's specific anything (except one "me" specific bike) as they inevitably are lower specced and look too pretty and resell value is hopeless as blokes won't buy girly looking second hand bikes...

osmund

Postby osmund » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Sette Budini wrote:Beware, some models will have an identical frame with a different paint job (pinker) and lower specced running gear, narrower bars and wider saddle and call that women's specific.
Note: I'm specifically a woman but have no women's specific anything (except one "me" specific bike) as they inevitably are lower specced and look too pretty and resell value is hopeless as blokes won't buy girly looking second hand bikes...

Yep I am totally aware of this as marketing ploy by bike manufacturers. I have both a women's specific and a men's/unisex mountain bikes. I researched a lot before buying my 'pink' bike, sigh. I hate the colour pink. But the bike works really well for me.

Thanks for the offers of test riding that would be ace. Otherwise I guess I have to head to some bike shops for some test riding (with a 3yo in tow...ha, yeah right).

Helgirl

Postby Helgirl » Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

I would imagine my Trek might be too big, but I imagine it'd be a similar sized frame to Cannuck's and although a men's frame (I definitely didn't suit girly bikes) it might be fun for you to have a smash, feel free to have a go if ever it & I are around.

Wallaby

Postby Wallaby » Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

I have a new 2012 Giant Avail 1 and I'm pretty sure you guys know more about bikes in general than I do but it has been a great starter bike for me (I bought it for $1200) and its not in pink (alright its black and white so not always better) but I think she's a nice looking bike and has been very reliable for me at the moment, plus I am a smaller woman and it fits me incredibly well (no foot/ankle/knee pain at all which I think is great for a newbie). So I would recommend looking at the Giant range as well (I know how hard it is to keep a 3yr old interested in a bike shop without them tipping every single bike over in the process :lol: (I have 3 boy monsters under 6)).

This is my baby:
http://www.bicyclehq.com.au/bikes/ladie ... _1217.html

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

we're around the same height so you can take my cannondale for a spin if you want. of course, i've upgraded it a bit but it'll give you a feel of what femme cannondale frame is like. (it's a 51cm frame)

Return to “Women's Cycling”