Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
emrides

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby emrides » Wed 22 May 2013, 9:39 am

Ta muchly

Done and dusted

Eeeep

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed 22 May 2013, 4:45 pm

As I'm currently off the bike due to my accident, I'm keen on watching these races. I need a lift, so and trying to con/encourage my lovely wife to come along. What spectator facilities are there? Any info would be most appreciated.

In particular I'm thinking about coming out this Friday night.

blakey

Postby blakey » Wed 22 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Grandstands, kiosk, good times, Beatbox Kitchen.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 24 May 2013, 11:56 am

oooo, a few forumers to hassle...

*shaking up the VB cans with fattima's name on them*

emrides

Postby emrides » Sat 25 May 2013, 5:01 pm

Well, that was fun! I was very slow but I enjoyed it, fitness not a problem just confidence, too scared I'd fall off and look a bit of a tool.

Then in the second race I fell off and it was fine.

Got another bruise to go with the one I got during the skills session, nothing like a few war wounds.

Hot chips from the Beatbox Kitchen were ace.

How the hell do you get around the corners without losing your back wheel?

blakey

Postby blakey » Sat 25 May 2013, 9:14 pm

It's not the back wheel you want to be worried about losing!

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 27 May 2013, 10:13 am

Indeed.... back wheel is not the one to worry about.

It takes some getting used to, but you need to get familiar with the feeling of the back wheel sliding around. Just keep pedalling until it finds traction!

It's the front wheel you need to worry about to get around corners.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Keely

Postby Keely » Mon 27 May 2013, 1:53 pm

I think the back wheel was the one that needed to be worried about over those logs... especially for thos attempting to bunny-hop or ride over them.

weg

Postby weg » Mon 27 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Em.

I'm lucky cos my bike loves cornering more than anything in the whole world. :D Especially on hardpack or grass like Friday night. Bestest fun you can have on a bike. fwiw, I find much the same as road works - outside leg down, weight to the outside and slightly off the saddle. If you need to turn sharper, increase the weight on the inside bar. But I don't mind a little rear wheel drifting either. Tyres make a difference too though.

emrides

Postby emrides » Mon 27 May 2013, 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, to be honest I think I just need to get used to it, confidence will come with experience.

I did nearly come off early on but managed to get my inside leg down and save myself. I had a fall when I jumped off to hurdle a barrier and once it had happened and I realised it was no biggie I stopped worrying about it. I'm going to fang it around my local park a bit before the next one and get used to feel of the grass under my wheels.

Out of interest what sort of tyre pressure would you recommend for the conditions we had on Friday night, my tyres are CX 700-35C

I was listening to RRR the next morning when I was in the car and a guy came on who'd been there on Friday night, he mentioned that one of the riders had broken a collarbone when an attempted bunny hop didn't quite pan out, ouch! I'm going to stick to dismounting and hurdling.

blakey

Postby blakey » Mon 27 May 2013, 2:51 pm

You're in luck, from the cool cats at Commuter Cycles: (@commutercycles):

Saturday 22nd June @ 3pm. In preparation for @dirtydeedscx we'll be running a 'Give Cyclocross a go/skills session'. Non denominational, Unisex, All ages - the only thing you need is a bike (doesn't have to be a cyclocross bike) and a sense of humour. Stay tuned for more details and let us know if you're keen. Please share.

Practice / confidence / not worrying it is definitely key.

Pressure depends on rider weight, riding style, tubes/tubeless/tubular. I'm often in the high 20's / low 30's with tubes.

emrides wrote:Thanks guys, to be honest I think I just need to get used to it, confidence will come with experience.

blakey

Postby blakey » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:58 pm

HEY HEY HEY!

Round 1 is rapidly approaching. 22 women have registered for CX-Women so far, I want to smash all previous records and hit 40 this time. I want to see more women on CX bikes than dudes on MTBs in open. I want you to be covered in mud with a grin from ear to ear and to tell all your mates how much fun you had afterwards.

If you were going to do the rapha women's 100, there's even time to finish that, race home and grab the CX bike and get a race in, we've extended women's CX rego and moved the women's CX race to the title event of the day at 315pm to give you some recovery time.

See you there!

Details: http://dirtydeedscx.blogspot.com.au/201 ... d-you.html

blakey

Postby blakey » Sat 06 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

28 women reg'd for CX-W. Still time to register tomorrow, come on down, bring a noisemaker.

Return to “Women's Cycling”