Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
PeterD
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon 30 May 2011, 9:04 am

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby PeterD » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

blakey wrote:PeterD: You are one of the reasons more women don't race. Take that attitude elsewhere, like the 1950s.

Dont want to derail your thread... but if youre gonna be antagonistic and as a matter of historicity, I dont think the 1950s liked their women dirty at all. quite to the contrary, they liked them to keep prim and proper... if too few women race cx, it's because too many women approach it with attitudes too similar to those of the 1950s. :P
'Whn u rliz hw prfct vrythg i u wl tilt ur hed bk n lgh a t sky' -buddha

User avatar
Marx
Posts: 6554
Joined: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 10:21 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby Marx » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

Is this OK as a CX : A MTB running 700c wheels & drops?
Just a bike & a place to ride.

blakey
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue 06 Oct 2009, 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby blakey » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

Marx wrote:Is this OK as a CX : A MTB running 700c wheels & drops?


Yes! As the UCI has approved discs any brake type is ok.

If you didn't want to bother switching out the 26" wheels for 700C you could use the Schwalbe 26" 34mm CX tyres I linked to earlier and that would also be ok.

Essentially it's drop bars and tyres that are under ~40mm that get you into the CX category.

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 7227
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 11:21 am
Location: Ballarat
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby barefoot » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

blakey wrote:Essentially it's drop bars and tyres that are under ~40mm that get you into the CX category.


Most importantly... which category is least competitive and has the best prizes? :lol:

If it's possible to get forced into sandbagger class just by fitting slightly-too-wide tyres, then I reckon that's a legitimate tactic ;-)

tim
who has been coughing up lungs for two weeks, so will delay his entirely lacklustre CX debut until next round

blakey
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue 06 Oct 2009, 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby blakey » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

The prizes for the open category are nowhere near as good as those in the CX category. There's incentive to race the right bike.

Also, this thread is about encouraging more women to race, not sandbagging dudes trying to score schwag. There's a separate DDCX thread over in the other subforum to discuss tactics in.

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 7227
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 11:21 am
Location: Ballarat
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby barefoot » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

blakey wrote:The prizes for the open category are nowhere near as good as those in the CX category. There's incentive to race the right bike.

Also, this thread is about encouraging more women to race, not sandbagging dudes trying to score schwag. There's a separate DDCX thread over in the other subforum to discuss tactics in.


Apologies for the derail.

If I was serious about scoring schwag, I'd make a serious tilt at the novelty categories. They're my only hope. I reckon I'd be in with a chance of "least appropriate bike" and/or "best outfit" if I raced on my cargo bike wearing a chicken suit.

Hope there's lots of schwag for the women, because I agree that they're the key to getting the sport established.

tim

User avatar
Marx
Posts: 6554
Joined: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 10:21 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby Marx » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

barefoot wrote:Hope there's lots of schwag for the women, because I agree that they're the key to getting the sport established.

tim


??
Perhaps.
But (any) sports’ bread & butter are the fellas.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

User avatar
JAC
Posts: 2237
Joined: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 9:13 pm
Location: Ashburton
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby JAC » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Marx wrote:
barefoot wrote:Hope there's lots of schwag for the women, because I agree that they're the key to getting the sport established.

tim


??
Perhaps.
But (any) sports’ bread & butter are the fellas.

:shock: :?: :?:
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

User avatar
baudman
Posts: 18826
Joined: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby baudman » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

Taken @ Darebin last year.
Image

User avatar
barefoot
Posts: 7227
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 11:21 am
Location: Ballarat
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby barefoot » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Marx wrote:
barefoot wrote:Hope there's lots of schwag for the women, because I agree that they're the key to getting the sport established.


??
Perhaps.
But (any) sports’ bread & butter are the fellas.


I see CX as being as much about the scene and spectacle as it is about the racing. For sure, it's one of the more spectator-friendly bike racing formats.

At a grass-roots level (ie not on the same scale as AFL), you're far more likely to get spectators who are also occasional or regular competitors.

One of the biggest coups in sports marketing in the last 10 years or so has been in pitching sport to women. I'm led to believe that football (all codes) and cricket crowds are now nearly 50% women. It's now a family event, not just a bunch of blokes out to sink beers and scream obscenities at the opposition.

CX could be a huge success if it becomes something you go to with your friends, family, significant other. Maybe race, maybe watch, hopefully both. The Dirty Deeds crew are doing a fantastic job so far of creating hype and making out to be a carnival style event that you would take the family to.

I'm on the sick bench, but I'm still toying with the idea of bringing the wife and daughters down from Ballarat to watch the racing this Sunday. I'd be far less inclined to do so if it was just a bunch of blokes riding bikes in the mud, cheered on by a bunch of blokes. Bloke sport runs the risk of getting very neanderthal very quickly. That kind of atmosphere doesn't interest me at all. I very much prefer mixed company. And realistically, for a sport of riding bikes in the mud in crappy weather, getting women interested will be the more difficult part of "mixed" to encourage.

tim

User avatar
Marx
Posts: 6554
Joined: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 10:21 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby Marx » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

I think it’s great that we have a CX thing happening now in Melbourne. All are welcome & it’s supa to see so many different people enjoying it.

(Although it must be said that the big drawcard for women spectators to any sport is facilities. Tennis & AFL have great seating for spectators & that’s when you see the ladies in droves. In all other cases that I’ve experienced ,the women are there because of their male counterparts. Sure there are examples out there like netball etc, but again the spectator facilities are good. Seems that blokes generally speaking don’t mind standing the mud & rain, without access to a toilet or covered areas for their sport.)
Just a bike & a place to ride.

blakey
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue 06 Oct 2009, 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby blakey » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

barefoot wrote:I'm on the sick bench, but I'm still toying with the idea of bringing the wife and daughters down from Ballarat to watch the racing this Sunday. I'd be far less inclined to do so if it was just a bunch of blokes riding bikes in the mud, cheered on by a bunch of blokes. Bloke sport runs the risk of getting very neanderthal very quickly. That kind of atmosphere doesn't interest me at all. I very much prefer mixed company. And realistically, for a sport of riding bikes in the mud in crappy weather, getting women interested will be the more difficult part of "mixed" to encourage.

tim


Thank you! You get it. This is exactly what we're trying to push. Not an exclusive dudes club, just a whole lot of grownups (and kids) acting like kids and having fun riding bikes & watching people ride bikes. The more kids/juniors and women we have racing, the better the scene will be for everyone.

Jess isn't normally the type to pursue muddy, dirty activities, but look how much fun she had at round #3 last year:

Image

brendan rocks
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri 01 May 2009, 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby brendan rocks » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:08 pm

barefoot wrote:
Most importantly... which category is least competitive and has the best prizes? :lol:



oldest rider.

User avatar
Heather
Posts: 3714
Joined: Tue 30 May 2006, 2:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby Heather » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:47 pm

brendan rocks wrote:
barefoot wrote:Most importantly... which category is least competitive and has the best prizes? :lol:
oldest rider.

weg wrote: Apparently you have to drink beer every lap.


Now that's two reasons to enter :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So blakey & brendan rocks, bike advice. Could a normal roadie be used? It doesn't have cantilever brakes. But I do have some 700 x 32 tyres that have some tread on them, and a nobby edge (came off a GVBR bike). Or else the hard tail mountain bike in the open category. Thoughts?
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

User avatar
baudman
Posts: 18826
Joined: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars
Contact:

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby baudman » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:51 pm

You get a bit of this....
Image
Actually, quite a lot of that - sometimes inches of it. It can render the brakes somewhat ineffective and/or your pedalling somewhat ineffective.


Return to “Women's Cycling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron