On her bike : Why women won't ride

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
JAC

Re: On her bike : Why women won't ride

Postby JAC » Wed 03 May 2017, 12:22 pm

Thread resurrection.

AtomAnt brought home a copy of "Urban Cyclist", at least in part because it has an article on Brompton bicycles ( which are of current interest).
I've never before counted the images of women in a magazine, but there were so few women depicted it was easy.

The magazine has 115 pages - very nice, glossy production. The cover promotes "Bikes. Culture. Style" The editorial content shows a total of 7 pictures of women, none of whom are on a bike in the pic. The womens podium picture from the Red Hook Crits measures 4cm x 4cm. It squeezes into a double page spread of the MENS Red Hook Crits (5 racing pics plus a 7cm x 7cm podium shot).

There are many full page pics of men on bikes, reviews of mens clothing (no womens clothing) as well as bikes and bits.

The advertisers (Madison, Deliveroo, Endura, fabric and Kryptonite) seem to get that women actually cycle. All include pictures of women.

Absence of women in media images reinforces the cultural view that women don't cycle. Grrrrr.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

weg

Postby weg » Wed 03 May 2017, 4:14 pm

Love that you included the numbers JAC, thanks. I've pretty much had a gutful. One of the other mags had the same sort of thing pointed out to them recently.

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 05 May 2017, 11:39 am

The magazine has 115 pages - very nice, glossy production. The cover promotes "Bikes. Culture. Style" The editorial content shows a total of 7 pictures of women, none of whom are on a bike in the pic. The womens podium picture from the Red Hook Crits measures 4cm x 4cm. It squeezes into a double page spread of the MENS Red Hook Crits (5 racing pics plus a 7cm x 7cm podium shot).

There are many full page pics of men on bikes, reviews of mens clothing (no womens clothing) as well as bikes and bits.

The advertisers (Madison, Deliveroo, Endura, fabric and Kryptonite) seem to get that women actually cycle. All include pictures of women.

Absence of women in media images reinforces the cultural view that women don't cycle. Grrrrr.

I notice that the Fairfax media section "Executive Style" is where they put all the bike stuff.
"Executive Style", if you read it, reads as aimed towards what rich white men like.
It appears Fairfax thinks women are never Executives or ride bicycles. They just like the "Life and Style" stuff - fashion and recipes.
We still have a long way to go in the gender apartheid of our national news outlets.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sun 07 May 2017, 9:56 am

My personal historic observation (most un-scientific & nil research) is ..........

During the war years (1939-1945) women cyclists outnumbered men. During the 1950s it was a 50/50 split. As cars became more prevalent in the 1960s men began to outnumber women. In the 1970s cycling fell to a low ebb and it was quite rare to see a female cyclist. In the 1980s cycling was still at a low ebb but improving from the 1970s and the split might have been 5% women, 95% men. Somewhere in the 1990s & early 2000s the ratio might have improved to 10% women & 90% men. In the period 2010 - 2017 women's numbers picked up rapidly and we now might be up to 20% women & 80% men.

I suspect that in the ranks of the commuters the proportion of women is higher but I'm never anywhere near the city in peak hours to observe this myself. When BV/BN do their Super Tuesday count do they specify numbers for male & female? If so, have they been published yet? Do the big clubs (like Blackburn & St Kilda) disclose their membership breakdown? The tourist operators who run European Cycling Trips say that the breakdown is approx 55% women & 45% men.

I'd be most interested to hear other people's observations and/or see any surveys that might have been published recently.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sun 07 May 2017, 11:34 am

GreenAlias wrote:I suspect that in the ranks of the commuters the proportion of women is higher but I'm never anywhere near the city in peak hours to observe this myself. When BV/BN do their Super Tuesday count do they specify numbers for male & female? If so, have they been published yet?

They do on some key routes, but not at all counting stations. (Well, did... I haven't done a count for a while). But, essentially, where there's infrastructure there's higher proportions of women.

I seem to remember them doing a press release this year, but I can't find it. They haven't updated the website beyond the 2016 results.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... iness/982/

weg

Tips for welcoming commuting

Postby weg » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 7:58 pm

Interesting piece doing the rounds, starting with a beginner's bad commuting experiences but morphing in to tips aimed at men. Widely applicable though.

http://www.waba.org/blog/2017/05/guys-what-the-hell/

weg

Postby weg » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 5:08 pm

Some ugly behaviour by Melbourne riders. 'Let me pass, lady'

Helen

Postby Helen » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:57 am

I found this interesting (as well as distressing.) I don't get those kind of comments. At all. Yet as you know I'm one of the biggest whingers on this forum about rider behaviour. For me it's been all about the close pass, unsafe overtaking in pinch points and on blind corners, overtaking me while I'm overtaking a slower rider or ped myself... All body language never actual verbal language.
I wonder whether it's the age difference, although when you're all swathed in spray jackets and helments and what not I don't know if it would be that obvious.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

weg

Postby weg » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:25 am

I didn't get that sort of comment on the road either Helen; more the occasional tsk, huff and body language equivalent of a rev or wheelspin. As well as the actual rev and wheelspin and toots of the average eastern suburbs driver. Not that that makes it right. It's still bullying. I loathe the same sort of dangerous rider behaviour as you cos it puts me at risk, so I don't ride GCT at peak any more (not that I've been riding lately but that's injury).

I used to get at least one sexist remark a week in retail though (the worst was a woman); fortunately the other customers were the nicest bunch you'd ever meet. And there was a monster dickhead at the velodrome one day but even his mate was embarrassed at his dickheadedness.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 29 Jun 2017, 2:07 pm

Sportsbet's social licence to operate is clearly due to be disqualified. Plenty of other gambling companies to take up the slack. They are barbaric in the most literal sense of that word.
Still posting. Still riding.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 29 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

weg wrote:Some ugly behaviour by Melbourne riders. 'Let me pass, lady'

Holy WTF..... ok, i get that Melbourne has a strong male culture around cycling, and the whole dress up for the commute thing is a bit much. But man, this article and Kate Perry's blog post recently makes me truly not want to get back into racing.

Cycling culture in Melbourne really took a step(leap) backwards when (primarily clothing) brands became fashionable and exclusive, and you were truly marked by the quality of your bicycle and wheels and also sock height, not your skills and demeanour on the bike.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

emrides

Postby emrides » Thu 28 Sep 2017, 2:35 pm

weg wrote:Some ugly behaviour by Melbourne riders. 'Let me pass, lady'

The described behaviour is appalling! I've been commuting to the city off and on for over 20 years, I don't recall being on the receiving end of any abuse from fellow cyclists. Who knows how many heads have been shaken as I hauled myself up hills at snails pace but I've never been verballed, motorists on the other hand......

I've recently switched to commuting on an ebike (for a number of reasons but I absolutely apologetically love it) and the look on a sleek racing fellas face as I come up on his back wheel going up hill on the boulie is priceless :lol:

Return to “Women's Cycling”