On her bike : Why women won't ride

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Marx

Re: On her bike : Why women won't ride

Postby Marx » Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

I didn’t want to say that women were essentially non-aggressive, more that providing cycling infrastructure which didn’t benefit an aggressive approach to cycling would be an incentive for women to ride.
Perhaps this isn’t possible everywhere, but maybe doable to key routes/locations, & this would then provide a kick-on influence for women to ride elsewhere later on as riding becomes a more frequent activity in their lives.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Euan

Postby Euan » Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:41 am

Marx wrote:I didn’t want to say that women were essentially non-aggressive, more that providing cycling infrastructure which didn’t benefit an aggressive approach to cycling would be an incentive for women to ride.
Perhaps this isn’t possible everywhere, but maybe doable to key routes/locations, & this would then provide a kick-on influence for women to ride elsewhere later on as riding becomes a more frequent activity in their lives.

I reckon it's always possible, whether the political will is there though, that's a different thing entirely.
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:49 pm

cold_erin wrote:
Marx wrote:Could I hazard that the need to be assertive while cycling in Melbourne, would be a disincentive for women more so than men? Or am I being sexist?
Perhaps constructs like Copen lanes & off-the-road shared paths is a positive, as it presents the riders with an environment where larger more threatening users like cars & cement mixers aren’t to be contended with.

Marx wrote:I didn’t want to say that women were essentially non-aggressive, more that providing cycling infrastructure which didn’t benefit an aggressive approach to cycling would be an incentive for women to ride.

I believe that providing off-road/separated infrastructure for bikes would benefit everybody - male, female or other. I know that on these forums, I hear about vehicular cycling a lot and while this has some benefits, treating bicycles as the separate vehicle they are would increase cycling and cyclist confidence.
I don't think there's anything gender specific about cycling infrastructure (except if they're cobbled, of course, in which case female user smay be in the majority... :lol: )
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Euan

Postby Euan » Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

cold_erin wrote:
cold_erin wrote:
Marx wrote:Could I hazard that the need to be assertive while cycling in Melbourne, would be a disincentive for women more so than men? Or am I being sexist?
Perhaps constructs like Copen lanes & off-the-road shared paths is a positive, as it presents the riders with an environment where larger more threatening users like cars & cement mixers aren’t to be contended with.

I believe that providing off-road/separated infrastructure for bikes would benefit everybody - male, female or other. I know that on these forums, I hear about vehicular cycling a lot and while this has some benefits, treating bicycles as the separate vehicle they are would increase cycling and cyclist confidence.
I don't think there's anything gender specific about cycling infrastructure (except if they're cobbled, of course, in which case female user smay be in the majority... :lol: )

Nah, male majority there. Paris-Roubaix fantasies :-P

Vehicular cycling is a treatment for poor cycling infrastructure, it ain't a cure for it.
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:09 pm

Had a girl tell me last night that she was the only masters 1 woman racing track at Blackburn. Masters 1 is like 32. Whats with that? Girls come and play on the track damnit.

Keely

Postby Keely » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

Percrime wrote:Had a girl tell me last night that she was the only masters 1 woman racing track at Blackburn. Masters 1 is like 32. Whats with that? Girls come and play on the track damnit.

Maybe she needs to come play with Brunswick! We have a few WMAS trackies and I know of at least one who is WMAS1.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

Yeah but that wont help out Blackie. Maybe you need to send some over here :D But hey I think we need more not redistribution of the ones we have

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

Percrime wrote:Had a girl tell me last night that she was the only masters 1 woman racing track at Blackburn. Masters 1 is like 32. Whats with that? Girls come and play on the track damnit.

Maybe it's something about the term "Masters" implying getting old. And 30-something women generally are the most anxious about the perception of getting old.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:

Maybe it's something about the term "Masters" implying getting old. And 30-something women generally are the most anxious about the perception of getting old.

Err... Mistresses?

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

+1. We need more mistresses. :wink:
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

Yep +1

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

Survey results From BV

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:07 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:Maybe it's something about the term "Masters" implying getting old. And 30-something women generally are the most anxious about the perception of getting old.

I was a bit taken aback when I got my first license and it identified me as being in a "Masters" category. MMAS2, FWIW. I had to look up what that code meant.

Having never raced and only overheard passing discussion of classes, I always thought "Masters" was a euphemism for really really old.

I reckon "Senior" would be less offensive than being called a "Master". You know, "Senior" as opposed to "Junior".

Of course, some letter codes on my license didn't make a scrap of difference to my likelihood of racing. If I was willing to cough up several hundred bucks for a license and turn up at the track to race against whoever else turned up, that was me locked in.

As it turned out, there were only two of us over ~16 years old bothering to turn up for a race. That's no big deal for racing - the faster kids were more than a match for me. But it kind of limits the social side of the sport when there's just a bunch of school kids to chat with between races (then they were a bit disorganised getting started at the beginning of the next season, I started racing MTB instead, and I haven't had a CA license since).

Anyway, I'm not a woman so I'm irrelevant to the thread... except for making the point that it's hard to get people enthusiastic about joining in the sport unless there's a peer group for them to slot in to. Being the odd guy (or girl) out gets tired pretty quick.

tim

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:33 am

I thought the day I got old enough to enter 'Masters' was my first real opportunity to take something home for the pool-room. That was right up until I lined up next to Phil Anderson (at the Wombat 100 in 2009) who also mentioned he was in Masters.....

(my only 'racing in Masters' anecdote I have)
Just a bike & a place to ride.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:14 pm

A good chance to promote women's cycling HERE

Return to “Women's Cycling”