Girlie stuff

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
wordnerd

Girlie stuff

Postby wordnerd » Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:25 pm

Okay, not so girlie but I thought it might be a good idea to start up a product review thread that we could all share our thoughts on the stuff we're buying for our cycling.

So... to kick it off I'll start with the gloves I bought last week.

I bought some Pearl Izumi's women select gel gloves in small from Velo Cycles on Nicholson St.

Pros.
1. The look really pretty
2. The palm side of the glove is light grey which appear to mean less marking on my handle bar tape.
3. The fabric on the back of the gloves is really soft and flexes nicely over my knuckles

Cons.
1. The Velcro fasteners are in a really weird place. I've had other gloves that have the fasteners on the inside but these ones are a really odd shape.
2. They've already stretched

Huge con.
The sizing. For gloves that are meant to be a small for women, they're on the largish size. I do have quite small hands which makes buying gloves tricky. I tried these on and thought they'd be okay but they've already started stretching and while my right hand is okay my left is swimming a little bit. This is problematic because they have gel pads in them. Because they've already stretched a bit, the ones for the wrist are in totally the wrong spot and they're causing me some pain in my hands because they're pushing against something that doesn't like it. They're okay for commuting but for anything longer than about half an hour on the bike, they're not so good.

So it looks like it's off to find some more Specialized gloves for me.

Canuck - I know you said you have problems find gloves that fit right so these could be good for you. The sizing is on the generous side.
Last edited by wordnerd on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Girlie stuff

Postby parawolf » Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

roeckl gloves.... 'nuff said.

having said that, you should be comfortable enough to ride moderate distances without gloves - something else is wrong if you desperately need gloves like that.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

JAC

Postby JAC » Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

Last edited by JAC on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:04 pm

i'll keep them as my other gloves are slowly falling apart. i'm sure they'll still be useful for commuting when i eventually get some new ones and i want to keep those ones in good nick for my longer rides.

Helgirl

Postby Helgirl » Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

parawolf wrote:roeckl gloves.... 'nuff said.

having said that, you should be comfortable enough to ride moderate distances without gloves - something else is wrong if you desperately need gloves like that.

+ umpty billion on the Roeckl gloves best gloves ever!

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:15 pm

i've got roeckl gloves and they have the same problem as the pearl izumi ones. damn my small girly hands!!

Helgirl

Postby Helgirl » Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

wordnerd wrote:i've got roeckl gloves and they have the same problem as the pearl izumi ones. damn my small girly hands!!

did you get the women's sized ones? they're tiny! I was between the women's & men's sizes available in Aus got them from a German site in blue, smallest mens size they make not imported into Aus, so perhaps there are smaller women's sizes just not bought into Aus. I tried the womens ones on at my LBS but they felt too tight, the 7.5 mens were too big, ended up with a 6.5.

Helgirl

Postby Helgirl » Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:24 pm

by the way tiny girly hands are not necessarily a bad thing!

ridinwithdale

Postby ridinwithdale » Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

louis garneu make gloves right down to junior sized, got some for the youngest, so cute and tiny

AnnieG

Postby AnnieG » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

Just a note, the 'select' range is PI's entry-level stuff. Above that you have the 'Elite' range, then the 'P.R.O' range. You may find the Elite and PRO to be of a higher quality.

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

not a review but a question! decided i need a new seat. i know canuck has a fi'zi:k one but i was wondering if anyone else does.

i'm looking three possibilities from wiggle:
fizik ladies vesta saddle with kium rails
fizik ladies vesta saddle magnesium rails
fizik ladies vitesse hp saddle with kium rails

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

Yeah, the vitesse is me.

I've used it both on the MTB and road - it now lives solely on the latter. The first time I rode with it, it was like heaven compared to the previous one. Still, I haven't tried that many different saddles, so there may be even better to be had yet... I'm in no rush :D

Like I said - you can sit on my vitesse sometime!

Heather

Postby Heather » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:05 pm

I love the selle italia gel flow, have three of them :P
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

wordnerd

Postby wordnerd » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:42 pm

heather - i have one of those now but i had my sit bones measure last week and it turns out i need a narrower seat. didn't really notice it because my average ride length is normally under 80km but i really, really noticed it on the great ocean & otway ride. still noticing it now!

osmund

Postby osmund » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

I have the Vitesse on (one of) my mountain bikes and I love it. It is super comfy. I also have a Selle Italia SL which I really like too (it's on the other mtb). These are my two favourite saddles and I don't know which I actually prefer.

Return to “Women's Cycling”