Sydney newbie!

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
Alexand2

Sydney newbie!

Postby Alexand2 » Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:51 pm

Hi all,
Thought I'd introduce myself - I'm Alex, and in my early 30s. I have lived in Sydney for most of my life, and wanting to hear about similar experiences from all of you :D
I love a good spin class at the gym, and my partner is an avid cycler himself. I have never cycled in Sydney before, and want to work up the courage to do so. Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks?
I've cycled around Brisbane many times and have really enjoyed it, but I just don't have the guts to start in Sydney :!:
I love running outdoors, but that's not quite the point of this thread lol.

Cheers!

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Re: Sydney newbie!

Postby baudman » Sat 30 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

SO many great bike paths and routes in inner Melbourne. Some areas a little further out too - but not quite as well-connected.

Depending upon where you're located, you may want to get in contact with http://www.wheelwomenaustralia.com/ Tina does great stuff, getting people cycling (where they've never learned) right up to large group rides like Around the Bay, the Grand Fondos and the like.

(You'll also find plenty of friendly riders in here - and some of them even run!)

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat 30 Sep 2017, 8:45 pm

Alexand2 wrote:Hi all,
Thought I'd introduce myself - I'm Alex, and in my early 30s. I have lived in Sydney for most of my life, and wanting to hear about similar experiences from all of you :D
I love a good spin class at the gym, and my partner is an avid cycler himself. I have never cycled in Sydney before, and want to work up the courage to do so. Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks?
I've cycled around Brisbane many times and have really enjoyed it, but I just don't have the guts to start in Sydney :!:

Cheers!

I am unclear. Are you in Sydney or Melbourne? The differences are tangible.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Alexand2

Postby Alexand2 » Wed 04 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

fixie wrote:
Alexand2 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers!

I am unclear. Are you in Sydney or Melbourne? The differences are tangible.

Hi @fixie
I'm in Sydney, and have been my whole life. I have just never worked up the courage to ride in Sydney, nor in Melb for that matter, but speaking specifically for Sydney. Any tips?

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 04 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

Erg.

Riding in Sydney is not for the faint of heart. Stick to the back-streets and bike lanes.

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm

as baudman said "Erg" indeed.

My suggestion: baby steps. I think that a place like Centennial Park has rideable roads and traffic should be more relaxed there. Look for meetup groups cycling and see if any might suit you. Do you have Meetup in Sydney? Watch out for groups of cyclists on the road and note where they are riding. There is some lovely bushland in Sydney that is not too remote. See if you can find some gravel tracks and go exploring.

See if you can find some womens groups who cycle. I am sure that they are there, maybe just not high viz.

Good luck in you quest

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:23 pm

I did a quick search using my favourite search engine and found:

https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/topics/womens-cycling/

http://www.sydneycyclist.com

http://bikegal.com/the-best-bike-store- ... sydney-is/

I am sure that you will quickly discover plenty more.

Local bike shops can often be very helpful also.

Alexand2

Postby Alexand2 » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 8:12 pm

Thanks guys - this is quite helpful, appreciate it. I thought it was best to jump on a forum.

Got all my gear, and ready to ride, just need to get on the road now haha.

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:56 am

Hi Alexand2 - I thought with your description of what you want to do, you might benefit from a car bike carrier (assuming you drive of course, and you wil need a towbar)
I'm primarily a commuter cyclist but the bike carrier was a game changer for me as I could get to the start of more interesting rides. In my case it was (1) distance, if I wanted to do far-away rail trails and (2) sheer boredom with riding in my immediate area - I see enough of that on my daily commute! :D - but if you live in Sydney, it could save you from having to negotiate bike-unfriendly streets to get to places where it is really fun for you to ride.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Alexand2

Postby Alexand2 » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 10:13 am

Hi Helen, ahh true I didn't give it that much thought. Still working up the courage, but I'm glad you mentioned the bike carrier. As my partner just rides from our place all around Sydney, but I am just not that gutsy enough. He's been riding for a few years and even managed to get on after a nasty fall (scraped most of his left side). I think I'll stick to specific bike lanes and bike trails like centennial park for a while before I decide to go on the real roads. So much respect for everyone who does it!!

Return to “Women's Cycling”