Training rides with children.

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
Oz

Postby Oz » Tue 05 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

jvb wrote:Time to bump this one up.
We have started the "kids" GVBR training again. Every 2nd Sat the Warby trail and every other Sat a shorter ride including a climb.
So for other's riding with kids (Damian is 12, a year older this year :? ), post your rides here and maybe we can organise something.

You coming out this saturday ? We'll be on the trail with the kids leaving Mt Evelyn around 10 ish.

jvb

Postby jvb » Tue 05 Aug 2008, 10:53 pm

Oz wrote:
We have started the "kids" GVBR training again. Every 2nd Sat the Warby trail and every other Sat a shorter ride including a climb.
So for other's riding with kids (Damian is 12, a year older this year :? ), post your rides here and maybe we can organise something.

You coming out this saturday ? We'll be on the trail with the kids leaving Mt Evelyn around 10 ish.

SWMBO was planning on doing the Warby with Damian this Saturday. Maybe I'll come instead, but we can't stay overnight :cry:
Football on Sunday morning.

ian

Postby ian » Wed 06 Aug 2008, 8:49 am

jvb wrote:
Oz wrote:

SWMBO was planning on doing the Warby with Damian this Saturday. Maybe I'll come instead, but we can't stay overnight :cry:

Meeting at COGS cafe at 10:00am
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Postby jvb » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 7:28 pm

ian wrote:
jvb wrote:
Oz wrote:

Meeting at COGS cafe at 10:00am

SWMBO will be taking Damian this Saturday.
I have to do some viticulture work :D

We have a Donna Buang ride planned for Sun 17 Aug. Via Don Rd.

jvb

Postby jvb » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 5:08 pm

School holidays next week so Damian and I have planned some riding in the Grampians.
Oh look, the GVBR is going there this year as well, what a coincidence :wink:

jvb

Postby jvb » Fri 28 Aug 2009, 5:53 pm

Yearly Bump :wink:
And again we are in training for the GVBR with the kids.
Damian is 13 this year and it's his 3rd GVBR. So anyone with kids in that age group on the GVBR who want to organise something?
We will be doing our usual Warby trail and climbs up Donna Buang.
Just post here.

jvb

Re:

Postby jvb » Mon 23 Aug 2010, 3:43 pm

Yearly Bump :wink:
4th year already.
And again we are in training for the GVBR with the kids.
Damian is 14 this year and it's his 4th GVBR. Not really a kid anymore. Anyway, the usual rides for anyone with kids in that age group on the GVBR.
No posts last year, but we'll see how it goes.

HappyHarperNouse

Re: Training rides with children.

Postby HappyHarperNouse » Tue 21 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Riding regularly in the South Eastern Suburbs.

Getting ready for our first GVBR.

Wayne

jvb

Postby jvb » Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

Yearly bump again.
This year dvb is 15 and on his 5th GVBR already :D
Miss 11yo and SWMBO will be joining us as well, together with another 11yo and mum.
Our trainig rides are usually the trails and we do hill climbing around Olinda where we are all based.

SpanishMan

Postby SpanishMan » Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

No so much a self-invitation to join you on training rides, but a question:

Anyone here do the GVBR with a child under 4yo? Experiences, tip, dos and don'ts? I plan to do this with my two sons - one 10yo and my 3yo in 2012.
Much appreciated.

RLB

Postby RLB » Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

We did the GVBR with 2yo twins last year, about to go around again this year, and then onto NZ. We are using the 2011 GVBR as training for the NZ ride.

We've got them in a trailer (a croozer), great for the littlies as they often go to sleep between brekky and the first rest stop and sometimes in the arvo, so dont get wet and can play with toys etc. The combined weight of the kids+trailer is at least 40kg, so hubby and I share the towing, change every 20km or so. We did have to put in a fair bit more training (compared to rides pre kids) to make sure we could handle the extra weight. Training with the trailer was mainly on bike paths, we dont have many bike lanes wide enough for the trailer near home (outer eastern melb). We ended up doing laps of Kew bvd for some on road training. I should probably mention that we are towing them with road bikes.

We stopped for longer than normal at rest stops and lunch to let them have a good play, and always had a good selection of snack food and small toys. I now know the location of the park/playground in every town we stopped at. The only slightly difficult time is trying to get the tent up while they are busy burning off some energy. Ours usually run about inside our tent while we put it up around them. If you are by yourself a sleep easy tent would make this a non issue.

Otherwise, on the ride itself we had a fantastic time. Everyone stops to chat to the kids, and they dont need too much entertainment with so much to see and do. They had a great time, despite the inclement weather (nothing some gumboots and a raincoat wont sort out). The bv staff went out of their way to make it easy for us (one of the kids has food allergies), we probably had a better experience than the 5+ rides prior to the kids.

jvb

Postby jvb » Sun 05 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

jvb wrote:Yearly bump again.
Miss 11yo and SWMBO will be joining us as well, together with another 11yo and mum.
Our trainig rides are usually the trails and we do hill climbing around Olinda where we are all based.

Bump.
I cannot believe another year has passed already.
This must be the most bumped thread on the forum.
Master dvb has done 5 in row since he was 11!. Unfortunately due to school exams he will be missing this years ride.
Miss 12yo is getting ready for her 2nd GVBR, so we are starting the training regime now.

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

jvb wrote:

Bump.
Master dvb has done 5 in row since he was 11!. Unfortunately due to school exams he will be missing this years ride.
Miss 12yo is getting ready for her 2nd GVBR, so we are starting the training regime now.

Yes, it is bump time again. Very quiet on the GVBR topic. I may even have to start the list.
The older kid is too busy with school, girl(s), Air Force Cadets and gliding.
But miss 13yo is getting ready for her 3rd GVBR.
So we have started riding a bit more.

wasinaus

Postby wasinaus » Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

Not sure whether Miss 11 will do the ride on her own bike or on the back of the tandem again.

Wouldn't mind catching up for some other parents with kids for a training ride - riding with just dad isn't really capturing her attention.

jvb

Postby jvb » Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

jvb wrote:
jvb wrote:

Bump.

Yes, it is bump time again. Very quiet on the GVBR topic. I may even have to start the list.
The older kid is too busy with school, girl(s), Air Force Cadets and gliding.
But miss 13yo is getting ready for her 3rd GVBR.
So we have started riding a bit more.

I've been bumping this thread up for years. You'd think our kids are all adults by now.
But no, the youngest, miss 14yo is ready for her 4th GVBR in a row and we've started training again. Funny she doesn't ride much until we need to get ready for the Great Vic.
There is a catch though, we haven't entered yet because there is a good chance I may be overseas for work. But at least we'll have fun doing the training rides.

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”