Training rides with children.

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
ian

Training rides with children.

Postby ian » Wed 22 Aug 2007, 7:55 pm

Just looking for any parents taking kids on the GVBR who might be interested in getting together for a few Sunday training rides.
I am taking my 10y.o. daughter and it would be great to get to know some other parents & kids before the ride. It would also make it more interesting for the children to ride with some people around their own age.
We are in the Eastern Suburbs but it doesn't really matter where the rides take place. Probably going to aim for distances from about 30km up to 70km.

Look forward to hearing from you all!
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 22 Aug 2007, 10:06 pm

We have been doing rides with our 11yo for the last month or so. I am taking him up the 1/20 and Olinda-The Basin Rd. Actually, he has been climbing the trails around Mount Dandenong for the last three years.
Every Saturday my wife is taking him on the Warby trail, from Wandin to Warburton for a return trip of around 60km. We will graduallly increase that to 80km rides, eventually starting in Lilydale.
At the moment we have soccer on Sunday mornings, so we won't be able to do Sunday until the end of September

Alister1

Postby Alister1 » Thu 23 Aug 2007, 12:49 pm

Hi, there are 2 WARBY preparation rides coming up - check out the GVBR web pages for dates and info. Last year we had some children come along on the WARBY rides.

It is important to registrate, WARBY training ride registration is available via http://www.bv.com.au/great-rides/40575/

I still remember taking my then 10 Yo on the ride and the fun we had. If you feel your child is under prepared come Nov I would not worry, children have remarkable resilience.

I hope it all goes well
Alister
Join a BUG - make a difference

ian

Postby ian » Fri 24 Aug 2007, 8:24 am

jvb wrote:We have been doing rides with our 11yo for the last month or so. I am taking him up the 1/20 and Olinda-The Basin Rd. Actually, he has been climbing the trails around Mount Dandenong for the last three years.
Every Saturday my wife is taking him on the Warby trail, from Wandin to Warburton for a return trip of around 60km. We will graduallly increase that to 80km rides, eventually starting in Lilydale.
At the moment we have soccer on Sunday mornings, so we won't be able to do Sunday until the end of September

Wow, that's a good effort. Let us know when you are free for a ride.
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Postby jvb » Fri 24 Aug 2007, 10:29 am

ian wrote:
jvb wrote:We have been doing rides with our 11yo for the last month or so. I am taking him up the 1/20 and Olinda-The Basin Rd. Actually, he has been climbing the trails around Mount Dandenong for the last three years.

Wow, that's a good effort. Let us know when you are free for a ride.

We are probably going tomorrow. Starting in Wandin, lunch in Warburton (at a cafe) and then back to Wandin. I think I will be going instead of my wife since she has something else on. Not sure about starting time, around 10.00 - 10.30. Will confirm later.

ian

Postby ian » Fri 24 Aug 2007, 10:39 am

Unfortunately,I will be on the Belgian Beer Cafe ride tomorrow morning.
Enjoy the ride.
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Postby jvb » Fri 24 Aug 2007, 11:41 am

ian wrote:Unfortunately,I will be on the Belgian Beer Cafe ride tomorrow morning.
Enjoy the ride.

You too :D

As I said, we are doing these rides weekly. Either Sat or Sun depending on other activities.

Fleebies

training rides for ten year olds in Western Victoria

Postby Fleebies » Tue 04 Sep 2007, 7:17 pm

Would any of you people be interested in coming out into the Western District for a training ride sometime? My 11 year old son could do with some other kids to ride with :?:

TimOD

Postby TimOD » Tue 04 Sep 2007, 10:49 pm

Ian,
That avitar looks like the Holstar Grand Tourer, Meg and I went last year and are going back this year on the Holstar.
If you would like some advice on setups for the stoker more than happy to email offline.
Tim and Meg
Team Missile - Silver Beastie

ian

Postby ian » Wed 05 Sep 2007, 8:51 am

TimOD wrote:Ian,
That avitar looks like the Holstar Grand Tourer, Meg and I went last year and are going back this year on the Holstar.
If you would like some advice on setups for the stoker more than happy to email offline.

Actually it's a Fuji Absolute 4.2. Purchased on pure impulse one day after unsuccessfully looking around for a decent second handy. Have done about 350km on it so far. Seems good but, as I got the smaller frame size, I suspect it would be cramped for an adult on the rear.
Spent a while last weekend setting up the stoker and marking heights on seatpoles, stems etc. as I have 2 kids of different heights who use it.
Always happy to get advice on setup :D . I will PM you with email.
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Re: training rides for ten year olds in Western Victoria

Postby jvb » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 9:53 am

Fleebies wrote:Would any of you people be interested in coming out into the Western District for a training ride sometime? My 11 year old son could do with some other kids to ride with :?:

Camperdown is it bit far from where we are. If we have a spare weeked though, I wouldn't mind to meet up somewhere and/or organise a kids ride-day.

ian

Re: training rides for ten year olds in Western Victoria

Postby ian » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 10:23 am

jvb wrote:
Fleebies wrote:Would any of you people be interested in coming out into the Western District for a training ride sometime? My 11 year old son could do with some other kids to ride with :?:

Camperdown is it bit far from where we are. If we have a spare weeked though, I wouldn't mind to meet up somewhere and/or organise a kids ride-day.

Good idea. What about something like the Bellarine peninsula?
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

jvb

Postby jvb » Mon 17 Sep 2007, 1:47 pm

At this stage we have planned a 'kids' preparation ride on the Warby trail for this Sat 22 Sep.
Starting at Cogs Cafe in Mount Evelyn at 10.00hrs. Lunch in Warburton (byo or cafe), then returning to Cogs Cafe for afternoon tea.
Total distance around 66km. We will be going, regardless of anyone else joining!
It is also possible to reduce the distance by starting in Wandin, you can always add on an extra 10km at the end by doing a return trip from Wandin to Mount Evelyn.

jvb

Postby jvb » Sat 06 Oct 2007, 5:30 pm

We are still doing our weekly rides. Will ramp them up shortly to two rides in a row over the weekend.
Today we did over 40km, mostly climbing. Went to One Tree Hill in Ferny Creek, then did some single tracks back to Sassy.
We are planning a 'kids' ride to Mount Donna Buang on the weekend of 27-28 Oct. Not sure which day, but if interested just post here.

jvb

Postby jvb » Tue 05 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

Time to bump this one up.
We have started the "kids" GVBR training again. Every 2nd Sat the Warby trail and every other Sat a shorter ride including a climb.
So for other's riding with kids (Damian is 12, a year older this year :? ), post your rides here and maybe we can organise something.

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”