Showers???

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
Melissa

Showers???

Postby Melissa » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 7:03 pm

I was wondering what the showers have been like on previous GVBR's.
ARe they like caravan park showers with a place to put ur clothes down and hang a towel so they dont get wet?
Or is it just one room?
Melly..... :P

Renegade

Postby Renegade » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 7:32 pm

The showers are in the back of semi trailers. There is a bench running down one wall with hooks to put stuff on and individual cubicles on the other side. Not a huge amount of room to move around either in the cubicle or the change area bit, but warm, wet and clean water.

gadoue

Showers

Postby gadoue » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 7:44 pm

The showers were a bit of a shock for me on my first GVBR. It was like stepping back to common showers after footy. No privacy and not much water either. I quickly learned to shower in my sandals and hang my gear in cloth shoulder bag. Modesty disappears after the first shower.

For those that don't know.The shower trucks double as luggage trucks. The showers are "knocked down" and luggage loaded in. Hence, no showers in the mornings, only evenings after they have been unloaded and set up.

The ladies showers have some cubicles for modesty (so I've been told) . The others are just shower curtains. Get in and get out quick.
I found the local swimming baths always have good hot showers and worth the few dollars to soak unde a steaming hot shower.
gadoue

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 8:50 pm

What do you mean by lacking in privacy

Do we have to walk anywhere to get dressed?
Or canwe get dressed in the showers

Alex Salmon

Postby Alex Salmon » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 9:46 pm

Hey Melissa
Unless you have a bag to hang your things in just outside the shower door, you will have to put them on the seat in the corridor a metre or so opposite your shower door/curtain. Can't have things inside the cubicle as the shower sprays everywhere.
This means either you dry and partly dress inside your cubicle (but hold up a long queue of women wanting a shower), or exit with your towel and dry yourself and dress in the 'corridor' along with maybe a dozen women. Or wait until most are at dinner and shower then.
Alex

TerryP

Postby TerryP » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 10:36 pm

Gadoue

Surely you are pulling our leg. The shower trucks do not double for luggage. The reason they are not there in the morning is that they pack up and roll out in the evening. A few less trucks on the road the next day and they are first into the next camp so they can be set up and ready to go when the camp opens.

PegasusSim

Postby PegasusSim » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 6:59 am

Gadoue is right, in the past the shower trucks have doubled as luggage trucks during the day. They move from where they are positioned for showers so that cyclists have better access to them for loading. Mel, In the past there has been 2 or 3 shower trucks for each gender, and at least one of them has had seperate shower cubicles. If you want to take your clothes / personal effects in to the cubicle with you, then maybe a small waterproof bag would be the go, the sort kayakers use.

Simon Carter
Pegasus Crew Mechanic

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 7:55 am

Hi Mel

If you take your clothes into the shower everything will get wet. A waterproof bag for your soap etc is a good idea. After the 3rd day you just get over seeing lots of naked women - it really doesn't matter! It is best to leave your dry stuff on the hooks or seats on the opposite side to the showers. I take a loose fitting dress so I can just have my shower & get out quickly as it is pretty crowded in there, then just change into real clothes in my tent.

Jennifer

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 8:28 am

JUst makeing sure on one thing - is there a hook in the showers? or is there a bench in the showeres?

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 8:32 am

Mel sometimes there is something to hang a small bag on usually. From memory not all the shower trucks are the same. There is a shower curtain & no bench in the shower itself - that is on the opposite side where people wait & dress.

raman
Volunteer Moderator

Postby raman » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 10:32 am

To All

Shower trucks do not serve as luggage trucks. !!!! there was only one time that this has happened that is because a luggage truck broke down and the shower truck was happy to help out when passing by. hot water is allways there you just need all showers going for the heat to keep going. Hooks and benchs are there to hang clothes. and there is nothing wrong with privacy.... get use to seeing naked bodies aroung after a while.

Raman 8)

Narre Girl

Postby Narre Girl » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 11:07 am

Hi Mel

The shower trucks are all slightly different in their layout, They all have some kind of shelf or rack to hold shampoo, soap, etc while in the shower. If they don't have a hook inside the shower, there will be a hook just outside the shower cubicle for your towel. These hooks aren't very big so you are better off hanging the majority of you clothes on the hooks above the benches.

The cubicles are pretty small and are are not designed as a changing room, it is a pain in fact if people get undressed, shower, dry and dress in the cubicle as it doesn't free up the shower for others. The usual drill is to get undressed near the benches, then shower - yell out - "shower free" for those cueing outside, then dry and dress near the benches. This speeds up the whole process. There is nothing worse than a shower cubicle hog! It's also really important to conserve water, so make the showers as short as possible.

On of the nicest things about getting back home after the GVBR, is having a nice long hot shower in private.

sunburyprince
Volunteer Moderator

Postby sunburyprince » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 11:12 am

Folks if your stressing about the showers, there is always the option of the local swimming centre (if they have one) As these places generally have unlimited hot water, and you can go and sit in their spa and everything first! Just another option you may be interested in!
missing in action!

Ben Sturmfels
Site Admin

Postby Ben Sturmfels » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 11:22 am

A few years back, Bicycle Victoria used a kind of custom-built setup where the shower trucks converted into luggage trucks during the day. These were much like Gadoue describes. It turned out though, that while being owned by Bicycle Victoria, these showers were relatively expensive to run, maintain and store in the off-season.

More recently, the shower trucks, like the toilet trucks. have been hired from "Bob's Event Showers", or something to that effect. These serve as showers only and you get your own cubicle. It's not your home shower, but quite acceptable.

jessy

Postby jessy » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 6:10 pm

i know showers have to be short but how long did those who did the GVBR shower for, just so i don't become a "shower hog" lol :lol:
and how long are the lines for the showers?

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”