Great Victorian Bike Ride 2019

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
Mike.Ayling

Re: Great Victorian Bike Ride 2019

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

JAC wrote:I started this thread because Mike.Ayling complained in the "Why are the Forums slowing down?" thread that nobody had started a thread on GVBR 2019.
Mike.Ayling is now complaining in this new thread that the GVBR is (a list of complaints that make it no good).

Enjoy your day Mike.Ayling. Go ride your bike or something.

Cheers,

JAC.

Thank you for those kind words, JAC. I hope you enjoy the 2019 GVBR.

Mike

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

Hubby and I have paid our deposits for 2019 - 5 day Port Fairy to Torquay option. It will be 10 years since our last GVBR which coincidentally, was also along the Great Ocean Road. Unfortunately, that one ended badly with a collision with another rider which left me with badly bent forks and a shoulder injury. Hopefully, this time will be less traumatic.

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

I've already put my hand up again (unofficially with my team leader) to volunteer for the full twelve days of next year's G(SA&)VBR - my team needs to arrive at the start two days early 8-)

This will be my third ride as a volunteer, having previously ridden 5 GVBR & 2 GTBR. I agree that it takes a bit of coin to enter, and that as a couple you could fund a decent independent tour of your own choosing for similar coin. However, as a solo rider, I'd either need to carry everything on the bike, which is a very different experience, or pay for what I didn't want to carry (accommodation, meals, etc). As for the rides I did with my son's school, I can't see many schools running their own programs if the GVBR wasn't there.

The GVBR isn't for everyone, but it's ongoing popularity suggests that it does represent value to a lot of people.
Up and at 'em

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:43 am

Atom Ant wrote:I've already put my hand up again (unofficially with my team leader) to volunteer for the full twelve days of next year's G(SA&)VBR - my team needs to arrive at the start two days early 8-)

This will be my third ride as a volunteer, having previously ridden 5 GVBR & 2 GTBR..

Well done on the volunteering Atom Ant.

I volunteered for five years on the ATB signs team and apart from the first year we never saw a team leader.
We would pick up the van at the Sunshine warehouse on the Saturday arvo, erect and take down the signs and return the van on Sunday evening.
That was only a day and a half but we were always knackered at the end of it.

What is a GTBR?

Mike

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:45 am

matagi wrote:Hubby and I have paid our deposits for 2019 - 5 day Port Fairy to Torquay option. It will be 10 years since our last GVBR which coincidentally, was also along the Great Ocean Road. Unfortunately, that one ended badly with a collision with another rider which left me with badly bent forks and a shoulder injury. Hopefully, this time will be less traumatic.

The moral of the story being never get too close to riders that you do not know and ride regularly with!

Mike

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:56 am

JAC wrote:I
Mike.Ayling is now complaining in this new thread that the GVBR is (a list of complaints that make it no good).

JAC.

Just for JAC some good things about the GVBR

You don't have to carry your own camping equipment
You don't have to do any navigation, just follow the signs.
You don't have to cook and prepare your own meals.
If your bike breaks down there are (used to be?) riding marshalls who can help you with repairs.
If this fails there is a sag wagon to take you and your bike to the next camp where there is an on site bike shop.
If you break down there is a sag wagon to take you to the first aid tent at the next camp site.

Mike

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:05 am

jvb wrote:The figures are available from BN, anything less than 3,500 paid riders and they lose money. They published them a few years ago,

I understand that there were less than 3,000 riders in 2018!

Mike

thorle

Postby thorle » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:21 pm

GTBR = Great Tasmanian Bike Ride
Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow, Ride today

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

thorle wrote:GTBR = Great Tasmanian Bike Ride

Thanks Thorle

Mike

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed 09 Jan 2019, 2:29 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:
matagi wrote:Hubby and I have paid our deposits for 2019 - 5 day Port Fairy to Torquay option. It will be 10 years since our last GVBR which coincidentally, was also along the Great Ocean Road. Unfortunately, that one ended badly with a collision with another rider which left me with badly bent forks and a shoulder injury. Hopefully, this time will be less traumatic.

The moral of the story being never get too close to riders that you do not know and ride regularly with!

Mike

No, the moral of the story is do not let your ambition outweigh your talent

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed 23 Oct 2019, 9:07 am

We had a GBR with Bicycle NSW over a decade ago and I think the last one was around 2006/7 not sure.

I went on the 2005 Kosziusko to Kiama ride and it was marred on the very first day when a female rider hit a Barrier then a tree on the way down the mountain at Perisher and unfortunately died that night in Hospital.
I think that it wasn't viable for Bicycle NSW because they could only get around 1200 riders signed up and I think eventually one of our organisers ended up joining BV to do their Big Ride. She was an American woman..can't remember her name.

But yes I can imagine the logistics involved with Umpteen Coaches to take us down from Kiama to Perisher and a truck for the bikes, the shower & toilet trucks, the gear trucks the bar, stage set ups, the food involved with the cooks they would've lost heaps.

When I read that Bike Victoria gets up to 8000 riders on their GVBR, I shuddered to think what 8000 riders would be like as 1200 riders in NSW was a hell of a lot and it took a bloody long time to get a shower lol.

One of the BMW Police bikes Fried itself, didn't like the slow going but it was good to have the cops there as we had this idiot in a Truck n dog nearly wiped me out, he was just getting too close to the riders...I think he was dealt with by our boys in Blue.

I was thinking seriously about doing this ride this year but couldn't get time off work and would've been a PITA to get a boxed bike back from there to Sydney where I live.

On a note of financial comparison, yes perhaps one could go to do a fully loaded tour by themselves for a lot less, someone said to Europe, but taking in account our weak Aussie Dollar (Peso?) right now, the exchange rate to USD or Euro's would take the shine off that real quick...at least in Australia, a dollar is still worth a dollar.

Hope you all have fun wish I was going....the last time I was down the GOR was when I was with my parents in 1974 on a Caravan trip...at least the London Bridge was still intact and many of the apostles still there. :mrgreen:

Cheers

Brumby33

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 2:01 pm

Day three and nobody has posted about their experiences yet.

Mike

Stealth

Postby Stealth » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 7:02 am

I did see a piece on the ABC news last night about this years ride
Dyslexics Have More Nuf.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 8:04 am

Stealth wrote:I did see a piece on the ABC news last night about this years ride

Yes, quite good IMO. They were riding past the Blue Lake in Mount Gambier then pics of the camp site and sound bites from a few of the riders.

Mike

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”