Great Victorian Bike Ride 2019

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
JAC

Great Victorian Bike Ride 2019

Postby JAC » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 8:58 am

Limestone Coast to the the Great Ocean Road
22 November to 1 December 2019

Information here:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides ... -vic-2019/
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

JAC

Re: Great Victorian Bike Ride 2019

Postby JAC » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

Atom Ant and the team of cyan-shirted vollies will be back. :D

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 8:23 am

Basic ride fee for an adult is $1,149. = $114.90 per day. However if you want to park your car in a secure car park at the finish in Torquay and be transported with your bike to the start that will be $1,499.

A self supporting couple like my wife and I can tour staying in caravan park cabins and motels and eat quite well for less than 2 X $114.90 = $229.80 per day.

Each to their own!

Mike

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

I did the GVBR from 1999 to 2007 excluding 2003 and 2006 due to bike crash.

I think it was the 2004 GVBR along the Great Ocean Road that is etched into my memory, we had over 8,000 riders and it was absolutely brilliant then again all the GVBR that I rode in were great fun.
One of the many highlights was between Lorne and Torquay/Anglesea they closed the road to most of the cars and the cyclists had the road to themselves.
My greatest highlight was 1999 to 2002 riding the GVBR with my two sons. Their school did it, but we got special permission for them to do it with me and not the school. They loved it, and so did I.

I would recommend it to all especially 2019 doing the Great Ocean Road.

My 2 little boys and me in 2002.

Me.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 3:25 pm

^ Nice reminisce. I've seen some old photos of my partner and parents on one years ago. Other than that, mostly just stories from forumites of feats of bygone GVBRs.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 4:58 pm

Frosty wrote:I did the GVBR from 1999 to 2007 excluding 2003 and 2006 due to bike crash.

I
One of the many highlights was between Lorne and Torquay/Anglesea they closed the road to most of the cars and the cyclists had the road to themselves.

I would recommend it to all especially 2019 doing the Great Ocean Road.

The ride for 2019 goes inland at Lavers Hill.

I agree that riding along the coast from Apollo Bay to Aireys Inlet should be ridden at least once in your life but you won''t have the opportunity in 2019.

Mike

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 6:58 pm

SUN 01 DEC

Day 10 | Deans Marsh – Torquay (66km)
Torquay Esplanade
The final day on the bike will see riders whizz down the hill towards Lorne through the Otways. Stop by Lorne and enjoy one of Victoria’s favourite coastal towns, with a variety of great spots to stop by for a coffee and feed.

The ride hops back on to the Great Ocean Road and travels towards Aireys Inlet and Anglesea, hugging the coast right through to the finish site at Torquay.

jvb

Postby jvb » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 8:16 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:Basic ride fee for an adult is $1,149. = $114.90 per day. However if you want to park your car in a secure car park at the finish in Torquay and be transported with your bike to the start that will be $1,499.

A self supporting couple like my wife and I can tour staying in caravan park cabins and motels and eat quite well for less than 2 X $114.90 = $229.80 per day.

Each to their own!

Mike

That's true. You can do an 8 day ride along the Danube for less as well (excl. flights).

But then you don't have to organise the infrastructure, logistics, traffic management, police costs, etc. for 5,000 people.
BN don't make any money on this, some years they lose money. It is still a great experience in my opinion.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 05 Dec 2018, 7:53 am

Frosty wrote:SUN 01 DEC

Day 10 | Deans Marsh – Torquay (66km)
Torquay Esplanade
The final day on the bike will see riders whizz down the hill towards Lorne through the Otways. Stop by Lorne and enjoy one of Victoria’s favourite coastal towns, with a variety of great spots to stop by for a coffee and feed.

The ride hops back on to the Great Ocean Road and travels towards Aireys Inlet and Anglesea, hugging the coast right through to the finish site at Torquay.

Oops, I should have read the small print!

Mike

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 05 Dec 2018, 8:06 am

jvb wrote:
But then you don't have to organise the infrastructure, logistics, traffic management, police costs, etc. for 5,000 people.
BN don't make any money on this, some years they lose money. It is still a great experience in my opinion.

Disagree.
The rides provide a lot of revenue for BN to use for their lobbying activities.
You don't see many of the out of Victoria rides anymore because they lost money on a number of those rides.
Remember that females only ride through the Dandenong Ranges? It did not draw the numbers to make it viable and it is no longer run.
If the GVBR starts to lose money consistently it will disappear. BN are not a charitable organisation(although they may be legally classified as one!)

It is still a great experience in my opinion.

Yes, but you must like crowds!

Mike

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 05 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:
jvb wrote:

Disagree.
The rides provide a lot of revenue for BN to use for their lobbying activities.
You don't see many of the out of Victoria rides anymore because they lost money on a number of those rides.
Remember that females only ride through the Dandenong Ranges? It did not draw the numbers to make it viable and it is no longer run.
If the GVBR starts to lose money consistently it will disappear. BN are not a charitable organisation(although they may be legally classified as one!)

It is still a great experience in my opinion.

Yes, but you must like crowds!

Mike

The figures are available from BN, anything less than 3,500 paid riders and they lose money. They published them a few years ago, I'll see if I can find them. I don't particular like crowds, but do the ride with friends. And in Australia it is safer than riding alone or with a few people. We do that in Europe every year where they have the cycling infrastructure.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 6:43 am

^^
There's "make a profit", and there's "make budget". The latter is quite important, as being a not-for-profit the GVBR is important to BN as an income stream to fund staff and other activities.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 5:39 pm

baudman wrote:^^
There's "make a profit", and there's "make budget". The latter is quite important, as being a not-for-profit the GVBR is important to BN as an income stream to fund staff and other activities.

Profit, Make Budget, Surplus or whatever the GVBR, ATB and other rides are designed to raise money to fund BN's activities.

Mike

JAC

Postby JAC » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:52 am

I started this thread because Mike.Ayling complained in the "Why are the Forums slowing down?" thread that nobody had started a thread on GVBR 2019.
Mike.Ayling is now complaining in this new thread that the GVBR is (a list of complaints that make it no good).

Enjoy your day Mike.Ayling. Go ride your bike or something.

Cheers,

JAC.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 12:28 pm

JAC wrote:I started this thread because Mike.Ayling complained in the "Why are the Forums slowing down?" thread that nobody had started a thread on GVBR 2019.
Mike.Ayling is now complaining in this new thread that the GVBR is (a list of complaints that make it no good).

Enjoy your day Mike.Ayling. Go ride your bike or something.

Cheers,

JAC.

Yeah, I thought that was why you had started the thread.
I hope Adam enjoying the ride / volunteering :)

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”