GVBR 2016

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
wagger

GVBR 2016

Postby wagger » Sat 26 Mar 2016, 7:24 am

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Mike.Ayling

Re: GVBR 2016

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:05 am

Do members get a cheaper rate than non-members?

Mike

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 6:24 am

Mike - If I recall - yes, a few $ off the rate, check the website.

My plan is to be there this year, retirement in July eliminates the leave juggle this year! :P

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun 06 Nov 2016, 9:07 am

Hello hello: Thread resurrection: I'm signed up for the 5 day ride, who's there this year?

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

bc

Postby bc » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 2:52 pm

I'm doing 9 days, but will bail at Queenscliff and take the ferry to Sorrento to get home

thorle

Postby thorle » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 9:51 am

:) I'll be there. First GVBR since 2012 (Gippsland) although had signed up for 2013 (also along the GOR) before a nasty accident put me out of action for 3 months. Since then I have done 2 Cycle QLD rides and 3 Bicycle SA Annual Tours. Have done so many GVBRs in the past that I had decided to go further afield and glad I did.
Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow, Ride today

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:24 pm

thorle wrote::) I'll be there. First GVBR since 2012 (Gippsland) although had signed up for 2013 (also along the GOR) before a nasty accident put me out of action for 3 months. Since then I have done 2 Cycle QLD rides and 3 Bicycle SA Annual Tours. Have done so many GVBRs in the past that I had decided to go further afield and glad I did.

I think I met you on that one. I rode the 2012 GVBR with our 12yo daughter.
Didn't you ride with Damhooligan or have I got the wrong person?

I'll be on this one again, sans daughter.

thorle

Postby thorle » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 1:13 pm

jvb wrote:
thorle wrote::) I'll be there. First GVBR since 2012 (Gippsland) although had signed up for 2013 (also along the GOR) before a nasty accident put me out of action for 3 months. Since then I have done 2 Cycle QLD rides and 3 Bicycle SA Annual Tours. Have done so many GVBRs in the past that I had decided to go further afield and glad I did.

I think I met you on that one. I rode the 2012 GVBR with our 12yo daughter.
Didn't you ride with Damhooligan or have I got the wrong person?

I'll be on this one again, sans daughter.

:) It was 2009 when I rode with DH and it was also along the GOR. DH wasn't on the 2012 ride. We started in Portland in 2009 and the first few days were quite wet. C u in Halls Gap.
Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow, Ride today

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:11 pm

OK - my 5 day GVBR done. Short TrikeTragic report:
- overall impression, another terrific ride with exemplary logistics by Bike Vic and fantastic volunteers. Fabulous weather, great scenery, enjoyable social scene.
- High points: Fresian dairy cattle watching the ride near Mortlake, arriving at the Bay of Islands, reaching the peak at Lavers Hill, the view at Apollo Bay ridge and then the zoom-zoom descent into Apollo Bay, recovery beers at the Spokes Bar (with the mob from Kyabram).
- Low points: The grind up Gellibrand Hill (6 km or so grind in low gear, no rest from the gradient after 60 km of riding including Lavers Hill!). Oh and some unnecessary stuffing around on Day 2 with continually re-tuning the rear derailleur of the trike only to find it had dropped the chain off an under-seat idler puller (making adjustment almost impossible...doh).

Cheers

Alan
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:38 pm

Alan, Thanks for the report.

I did the GVBR from 2000 - 2007 inclusive. It was magic.

bc

Postby bc » Tue 06 Dec 2016, 11:57 am

Did the 9 day, but left at Queenscliff via ferry on Saturday rather than ride into Geelong Sunday and cope with the logistics of getting home from there.

Loved the "quiet" camping area - didn't have to listen to a generator all night, and the extra walking didn't worry me. First few nights were relatively cold (~4c), but I was fine. Organisation, volleys, etc was generally great. Schools and others started to keep left better after a day or two. Lower temperatures made the riding very comfortable. Great scenery all the way.

12 Apostles campsite good, but in the middle of no-where. Free bus to the "sights" good, but struggled to ferry so many people around. Bellbrae campsite huge, but very dusty with lots of vehicles travelling across the site on a track that turned out to be up-wind. Seemed to be more people after the rest day (lots of 3 day people?), or just more congestion. Didn't enjoy the last day or two as much as the earlier part because of the increased congestion and motor vehicle traffic, despite the awesome scenery. All up I'll be back with a different (more wind resistant) tent.

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”