Packing for GVBR

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
kevnic

Packing for GVBR

Postby kevnic » Sun 16 Aug 2015, 10:49 am

Hi,
We are first time GVBR participants and are just bit unsure of a couple of things that we hope someone may be able to clarify for us, 20 kg of luggage per person, does this include tents, sleeping mat, sleeping bag etc and do we need to strap tent, sleeping bag etc to backpack/bag? Do we need to take plate ,cutlery etc on bikes with us for lunches?

Heather

Re: Packing for GVBR

Postby Heather » Sun 16 Aug 2015, 11:19 am

Hi kevnic, welcome to the forums!
Yes, your 20 kg allocation includes ten sleeping mat etc. Take 2 bags (it's a lot easier to carry 2 x 10 kg bags than 1 x 20 kg bag). Also makes it easier loading & unloading from the luggage trucks. You won't need plates etc for the lunches, these come as a roll or wrap etc, plus fruit/cake and drink.
Enjoy GVBR, it's a lot of fun :D
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

kevnic

Postby kevnic » Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:59 pm

Thanks for your reply Heather, that clarifies a few things, I'm sure there will be many more questions arise before the ride.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 16 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

kevnic wrote:Thanks for your reply Heather, that clarifies a few things, I'm sure there will be many more questions arise before the ride.

Welcome Kevin,

Ask whenever you need too, quite a few of us have done numerous GVBR and they were 'just' brilliant.
Are you doing it solo or with family/friends?
If solo, what's that catch cry “No Strangers Here Just Friends You Haven’t Met Yet” . It is so true. :)

Wayne.

kevnic

Postby kevnic » Wed 19 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

Thanks Frosty
My wife and I are doing it together after talking about it for years, this year all the stars have seemed to align and we are able to actually participate. We are both on hybrid bikes and are only occasional riders, but are really looking forward to the challenge .

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 6:15 pm

One of the most important decisions is your plate/cutlery choice. Many experienced GVBRs have spent years looking for the correct combination.

As Heather says, but for breakfast/dinner you will need things. Plate and bowl? Or one to do both jobs. Plastic do everything cutlery? Mug with/without handle. I'd certainly advocate a nice sack to keep them all in the one spot, and a nice small microfibre towel for drying them off (that'll be useful for other stuff too). The GVBR plastic beer/wine glass is a nice keepsake so I'd suggest purchasing there.

Also... antibacterial gel. I loathe the stuff. But, it's better than gastro.

With respect to your riding abilities? Just get some kms in your legs, and some hours in your saddle in the lead up and you'll do fine. Make sure your saddle, and/or your saddle angle works for you well prior to the ride.

Have fun.

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”