Sad news from the GVBR today.

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
lard

Sad news from the GVBR today.

Postby lard » Wed 03 Dec 2014, 1:00 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 1z697.html

A cyclist competing in the Great Victorian Bike Ride has died after being hit by a truck in the state's north-east.

The rider was killed on Mansfield-Whitfield Road at Barwhite, about six kilometres north of Mansfield, just before 11am, police said.

It is believed the cyclist fell and was hit by a truck after clipping another rider.

Nearly 4000 cyclists are taking part in this year's event, which is due to finish in Melbourne next week.

the lone rider

Re: Sad news from the GVBR today.

Postby the lone rider » Wed 03 Dec 2014, 1:40 pm

Was in Mansfield last week and then drove along here to get to Bright. Didn't strike me as a great road to have a mass participation bike ride on and later on I checked online about the route they are taking to find out they are going over the Black Spur to Healesville :shock: . Narrow winding roads with 4000 people on bikes and no passing lanes, absolutely insane.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 03 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

:(

Very sad.

Oh, and "...competing..."? Really, The Age? Perhaps "participating".

wasinaus

Postby wasinaus » Wed 03 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

the lone rider ,

in fairness the Black Spur section of the route on Saturday will be "Full road closure to bother directions of traffic"

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/racv- ... ties/2450/

Thoughts and prayers go out to the riders family and friends.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

baudman wrote::(

Very sad.

Oh, and "...competing..."? Really, The Age? Perhaps "participating".

+1

And, the story had been changed at 1601 to say "...taking part in..."
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Thu 04 Dec 2014, 7:02 am

One of the scariest things I've done in my life was drive from Yea to Mansfield the morning the GVBR (and Mr Erin with them) left Yea and headed in the same direction before turning right and heading to Alex.
I thought I'd left t long enough, but ended up on the two lane highway with minimal shoulder, oncoming cars not slowing, riders on my left...I was absolutely terrified someone would fall in front of me, especially the wobbly kids. Eventually the police showed up to stop oncoming cars and let us through in the right hand lane.

Tremendously sorry to hear that this happened.
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

BellfieldBike

Postby BellfieldBike » Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

As mentioned before I think this was bound to happen - I know its a well run event but you can't ride on closed roads the whole way and sooner or later you have to use a major road.

Very sad hopefully doesn't ruin the event.

bc

Postby bc » Mon 08 Dec 2014, 2:43 pm

Very sad, and sobering news to receive while on the ride. Didn't ruin the event for everyone, although some were impacted. Many of us were held at Tolmie before the descent into Mansfield (the main road was closed pending investigation) until a route around the incident was proven. We were then released in groups with designated lead riders, did most of the descent on the road and then 3 to 4 kms on a gravel road around the incident, coming into Mansfield on a different road.

From what I heard: Cyclist was apparently experienced, but clipped the wheel in front and fell onto the road. Truck following was going relatively slowly, but couldn't avoid someone falling into their path.

Lots of good signage on the road warning motorists, reduced speed limits in most hazardous areas, route marshals at intersections and lots of police visibility - cars, motorcycles and 3 on bicycles. I felt more at risk from a relatively few people who either didn't know how to ride in a mass participation ride, or didn't care, than I did from motor vehicles. Still, most of the time it just wasn't an issue as the ride was strung out over kilometres.

Riding the Black Spur was a highlight - with the road closed. It rained from Alexander to Marysville, then stopped so the ride over the spur was dry. Couldn't leave Marysville before 10:30, then another stop point at the Black Spur Inn - couldn't leave until 11:30 after the road closure was in force. Sent off in groups so the rider density wasn't too high, with police motorcycles moving up and back to ensure good behaviour.

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”