Is anybody Going to the Great Vic?

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Re: Is anybody Going to the Great Vic?

Postby baudman » Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

roshea wrote:
damhooligan wrote:
Euan wrote:I trained by downing a,6 pack last night.

Just one night??

The gvbr goes for 9 days..., you need more training.. 8)

I saw him training last Friday as well and he seemed to have it under control.

He was finishing strong too!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:07 am

baudman wrote:
roshea wrote:
damhooligan wrote:
Euan wrote:I trained by downing a,6 pack last night.

Just one night??

The gvbr goes for 9 days..., you need more training.. 8)

I saw him training last Friday as well and he seemed to have it under control.

He was finishing strong too!

Thats excellent news. 8)
Work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work.

SatyricTim

Postby SatyricTim » Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:13 am

Well, Lakes Entrance is shiny! Breakfast is eaten. And there is Lycra everywhere.
Stop sign? Fixie don’t care.

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 4:23 pm

Nine days, varying weather. Day four was a shocker. Rain, mist, cold, hill climb. Rumors are that 400 sagged at the lunch stop and 17 were hospitalized through hypothermia. Conversation with riders present say that the police did an excellent job, as did the business owners at the lunch stop; they really stepped up beyond the call of normal business. This was later recognized by BNV on Saturday's briefing which I missed but was told about at breakfast today.

Descending in to the mist with sunnies on is something I won't forget in a hurry. A priority now is to get a set of clear lenses for my sunnies (perscription sunnies)

Overall great event, ran like clockwork. Usual issues with showers, none with dunnies. Less said about the food the better but then I'm a massive minority in terms of diet so there's that. Thumbs up.
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 4:27 pm

The pubs put on quite a good show as well...or maybe that was The Sneaker Butchers at the pub. Good times!

SatyricTim

Postby SatyricTim » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

Well, I made it through, if not exactly to plan. Everyone was friendly & hospitable. I'm not really ready to give more impressions. I'm still digesting the experience. All in all, I had a great holiday.
Stop sign? Fixie don’t care.

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 4:59 pm

Shaz wrote:The pubs put on quite a good show as well...or maybe that was The Sneaker Butchers at the pub. Good times!

We found a nice place in Tarralgon, The Spirit bar I believe. What a whisky collection 8) Next door for tapas, then back for more whisky. The brewery pub next to one of the camps (I forget the name of it, Grand Range or something?) Jugs of ale and a beautiful eye fillet steak. Yum!

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:06 pm

Euan wrote:
Shaz wrote:The pubs put on quite a good show as well...or maybe that was The Sneaker Butchers at the pub. Good times!

We found a nice place in Tarralgon, The Spirit bar I believe. What a whisky collection 8) Next door for tapas, then back for more whisky. The brewery pub next to one of the camps (I forget the name of it, Grand Range or something?) Jugs of ale and a beautiful eye fillet steak. Yum!

2am....Tuesday night (wednesday morning) we headed to The Spirit Bar...it was closing! I did go the next day to catch up with people...what a beautiful old, well restored building!

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:09 pm

Shaz wrote:
Euan wrote:

2am....Tuesday night (wednesday morning) we headed to The Spirit Bar...it was closing! I did go the next day to catch up with people...what a beautiful old, well restored building!

Me and my friends are lightweights; latest we made it was midnight. Beer every night though, even if it was only a couple of jugs at dinner.

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

Euan wrote:
Shaz wrote:
Euan wrote:

Me and my friends are lightweights; latest we made it was midnight. Beer every night though, even if it was only a couple of jugs at dinner.

hahaha...nice way to be after a days riding! We visited several establishments! we got 2 for one cocktails at one place. That was very nice! :) The pubs and wineries generally look after us with entertainment! With good music you tend to stick around...Wednesday night there was kareoke..That was fun to watch! lol

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

Euan wrote:

Grand Ridge? Nice beer there :)
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm

squeaza wrote:
Euan wrote:

We had a jug of the Hoppy Frog followed by a jug of their stout. A jug there being 2.2 ltrs. Wasn't so flash the next day :-P

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:28 pm

Euan wrote:
squeaza wrote:
Euan wrote:

We had a jug of the Hoppy Frog followed by a jug of their stout. A jug there being 2.2 ltrs. Wasn't so flash the next day :-P

did u ride rest day?

Euan

Postby Euan » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

Shaz wrote:
Euan wrote:
squeaza wrote:
Euan wrote:

did u ride rest day?

Just to check out maintenance. Wore through half my front brake blocks on Tue, damned canti=levers :-P

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:01 pm

Euan wrote:We had a jug of the Hoppy Frog followed by a jug of their stout. A jug there being 2.2 ltrs. Wasn't so flash the next day :-P

A 'French IPA'? Let's just ponder that for a moment, shall we?

Was it the Sarsparilla Stout?

Headed in to the finish at the Penguin Parade carpark.
Just a little bit of traffic. ;)

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”