The fall and fall of your local bike shop

Some shop for carbon fibre, some simply for spare tubes. Share your experiences of visiting your local bike shop.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: The fall and fall of your local bike shop

Postby Snuffy » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 8:06 am

It boggles me that there are still businesses that don't understand the basics of an online presence.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:07 am

Snuffy wrote:It boggles me that there are still businesses that don't understand the basics of an online presence.

They're usually not in business for very long these days.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 11:36 am

Snuffy wrote:It boggles me that there are still businesses that don't understand the basics of an online presence.

Especially at a time when all bike shops are under threat from online suppliers.

Here's another weird example: tbsm.com.au is an interstate bike shop who I've bought random things from online in the past.. they don't list everything in the store online, but they're pretty responsive to emails and will add stuff if they stock it. But last time I emailed they said they don't sell online any more. In fact everything on their online shop is listed as "not available for online purchase." :shock:

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 14 May 2018, 11:36 am

Essendon Cyclery has been impacted by level crossing works at Essendon Station, and are asking for assistance:
CUSTOMERS OF ESSENDON CYCLERY, WE NEED YOUR HELP

Many of you who have visited the store recently will have noticed that the street in front is now taken up with bus stops, which have been moved from Essendon Station to Mt Alexander Rd due to the track works. You have spoken of the difficulties of finding parking as a result, and observed how quiet we are. Regular customers are having a hard time getting to us, and very few new customers are bothering to try.

After originally been told that the buses would be out the front for 6 weeks, we have recently been told that in fact it will continue until the works to Essendon Station conclude, optimistically at the end of the year.

Sadly it has gotten to the point where we have realised we can’t trade through this situation. We have been speaking with the Vic Rail Crossing Removal Authority and local MP Danny Pearson and they are currently trying to work out if and how to help us. We hope that they will be more motivated to help us if it is clear to them that there are many locals who value our shop and the jobs of our four employees.

If it is important to you that our shop remain open beyond the end of next month we ask that you 1share this post to customers who may not see it. 2. contact either or both of the below numbers or emails and express your disappointment in the situation we have been placed in, and you hope that they will do everything in their power to help us through an intolerable situation.

Of course we don’t want abusive calls or emails sent to people who are just doing their jobs, but something along the lines of "I am a customer of Essendon Cyclery and please don’t kill my bike shop" is all we need. Their decision is being made as you read this so the sooner the better.

We are very grateful to those who have still come despite the difficulty, the love and support we receive from you all is what makes this business worthwhile.

Thanks for reading if you got this far and thanks for 9 years of support and rides...

Danny Pearson MP 9370 7777 Danny.pearson@parliament.vic.gov.au..

Level crossing removal authority 1800 105 105 contact@levelcrossings.vic.gov.au
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 8:04 am

Stephen wrote:Ashburton cycles in High Street Road has a big Closing Down sign out front. They have some good deals on bikes and frames.

It was sort of my LBS before I learned to do my own stuff. I bought quite a lot of stuff there but never did get to know anybody. A bit expensive (for servicing) but in-shop prices were pretty good.

Rents would not be cheap in that strip. I'm guessingthat it'll be turned into yet another cafe.

A bit of good news, its still going. I dont know if new owners took over or what happened. There seems to be a bit of new stock, judging by the shiny titanium Planet X that I saw in the window.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:26 pm

So i've decided to start throwing some business the direction of Essendon Cyclery, since there is substantial local love for it as a shop. Also they carry my one of the shortlist bikes I want to get next....

On a recent strip down of my bike, i noticed that my BB bearings aren't exactly smooth anymore, and need replacing (they probably lasted 6-7 years?)

So I hit them up on Facebook - and get an instant response back saying to email and they don't respond to facebook messanger.

Okay, cool, so I email with all the details I have, happy to pick up in store, let me know if there are other details, including my phone number.

Nothing for 2 weeks. Hmm I was in the area, and dropped in. Bring up what I was asking for, and they had seen my facebook and email but not responded... hmm ok. So leave my details with them and they promise to get back.

To put this story back on track, I got my call back yesterday as promised, and my new BB is ordered and will be delivered sometime soon. Yaa.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 7:49 am

When out riding yesterday I called in to a most fascinating bike "shop". I say "shop" because it's not like your traditional bike shop - perhaps it's more like a factory outlet? They also have some very hi-tech fitting equipment on site.

Firstly, it's tucked away in the back streets of an industrial estate where no one would ever see it. The premises were originally designed to be a factory - with big front roller shutter doors and a big empty barn inside with no partitions. Their business model is designed around internet usage.

Secondly, they are not a dealer for any particular brand and they don't sell any new bikes. All the bikes on the floor are used bikes - the majority being very high-end bikes that originally sold for big bucks (say more than $10,000) and are now available at affordable prices. And some classic "antiques".

If you're interested you can check them out HERE

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 27 Jul 2018, 11:46 am

GreenAlias wrote:When out riding yesterday I called in to a most fascinating bike "shop". I say "shop" because it's not like your traditional bike shop - perhaps it's more like a factory outlet? They also have some very hi-tech fitting equipment on site.

Firstly, it's tucked away in the back streets of an industrial estate where no one would ever see it. The premises were originally designed to be a factory - with big front roller shutter doors and a big empty barn inside with no partitions. Their business model is designed around internet usage.

Secondly, they are not a dealer for any particular brand and they don't sell any new bikes. All the bikes on the floor are used bikes - the majority being very high-end bikes that originally sold for big bucks (say more than $10,000) and are now available at affordable prices. And some classic "antiques".

If you're interested you can check them out HERE

Dan,
The web site does not appear to list a street address so as you say internet only but are prospective customers able to test ride any of the bikes on offer?

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 27 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

Address:

1/7 SAMANTHA COURT

KNOXFIELD

VICTORIA

Still posting. Still riding.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 7:38 am

Mike.Ayling wrote: The web site does not appear to list a street address so as you say internet only but are prospective customers able to test ride any of the bikes on offer? Mike

Hi Mike, The owners/staff are pretty friendly and customer conscious so I assume they would allow test rides. Give them a call to check. The Samantha Court location is not too far off the trail and is easy enough to get to. If you're out riding in the area just follow this route

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 9:32 am

New BB in my hot little hands on Saturday... excellllent :D

Now, if I hadn't left my bike at work over the weekend it would actually be installed and I wouldn't have had to suffer PT this morning to get to work.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

Return to “Bike Shops and Shopping”