1 in 20 Rides

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Adiljan

Re: 1 in 20 Rides

Postby Adiljan » Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

Brendan,

That is one seriously fast ride, over 30kpm average!!

I can just push my average above 30kpm only on the false flat section....if I push it...

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing you leading the peleton in the French Alps/Tour De France soon.

All the best for your riding future.

Jonathan

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

Here's a good demonstration of what it takes to ride the 1:20 in a super-fast time. Video shows power meter, cadence & speed.

mb27

Postby mb27 » Sun 22 Mar 2015, 11:54 am

Did the dandenongs today, 21.20, well below my pb, but it has been awhile since we last ride up there. Seem to be plenty of bikes out, must be the weather for it. Got buzzed by 2 bogans on mtn hwy, 1 yellow monaro, then a white carolla.

nez

Postby nez » Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

Rode from Monbulk to Emerald yesterday and found the road to be very gravelly. Is anyone aware of re-surfacing works going on the Emerald - Monbulk rd? I hadn't ridden it for a few months and don't remember if it was always that bad. There were no road works signs of anything like that around there.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:17 pm

nez wrote:Rode from Monbulk to Emerald yesterday and found the road to be very gravelly. Is anyone aware of re-surfacing works going on the Emerald - Monbulk rd? I hadn't ridden it for a few months and don't remember if it was always that bad. There were no road works signs of anything like that around there.

Which way did you go though?

pramsay

Postby pramsay » Wed 01 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

nez wrote:Rode from Monbulk to Emerald yesterday and found the road to be very gravelly. Is anyone aware of re-surfacing works going on the Emerald - Monbulk rd? I hadn't ridden it for a few months and don't remember if it was always that bad. There were no road works signs of anything like that around there.

The weekend before last I hit the newly resurfaced road with a layer of loose stones on top, this was on the descent out Monbulk towards Emerald. Had to take the corners extra wide so not to slip until I managed to slow down to a safe speed. Some of the little sharp stones got embedded into the tyres and had 2 punctures. Take care going down there for a while!
The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind ~ William Saroyan

nez

Postby nez » Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

Yep. That's the one. I had a few eye popping moments too. So the loose gravel is the result of FINISHED(!) roadworks?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat 18 Apr 2015, 6:23 pm

nez wrote:Yep. That's the one. I had a few eye popping moments too. So the loose gravel is the result of FINISHED(!) roadworks?

That's how we've built rural roads in Victoria since.... well, since we've been building roads. It's cheap, efficient and uses the most locally available aggregates, which for the Dandenongs are probably sourced from the local quarries at Montrose. In a month or so the seal will settle under traffic compaction and the excess will either migrate to the shoulders due to traffic action or be swept up and removed. Without this method of road building we'd have waaay less sealed rural roads.

Ride to the conditions. ;)
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

pramsay

Postby pramsay » Sat 02 May 2015, 6:14 pm

Had a nice ride in warmish conditions up the 1:20 this morning and was delighted with Bicycle Network Victoria's refreshment stop at the top. Banana bread, jelly snakes, oranges, bananas, smarties, sport drink.... Yum, thanks Bicycle Network :D
The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind ~ William Saroyan

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 20 May 2015, 2:29 pm

Just noticed today that traffic lights have been installed (as a pedestrian crossing) right at the start of the 1:20. How long have they been there? Are they very new or is it just that I haven't been paying attention lately??

These have the potential to cause some frantic braking by descending cyclists who weren't expecting them to be there. Perhaps it might be wise to move the Strava start/finish point another 100M further up the road?

ian

Postby ian » Wed 20 May 2015, 3:03 pm

Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed 20 May 2015, 3:12 pm

GreenAlias wrote:Just noticed today that traffic lights have been installed (as a pedestrian crossing) right at the start of the 1:20. How long have they been there? Are they very new or is it just that I haven't been paying attention lately??

These have the potential to cause some frantic braking by descending cyclists who weren't expecting them to be there. Perhaps it might be wise to move the Strava start/finish point another 100M further up the road?

They've been there a far while GA.... only seen them in use once.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Wed 20 May 2015, 3:31 pm

Streetview shows the footpaths for the lights in the process of being added.

GreenAlias wrote:These have the potential to cause some frantic braking by descending cyclists who weren't expecting them to be there. Perhaps it might be wise to move the Strava start/finish point another 100M further up the road?

Coming up to the shops on the descent, who's racing through there? Always have hands on the brakes and slowing for the shops and pedestrian crossing and roundabout anyway...

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 3:35 pm

Monday 1st June, 2015 3:00PM - tree fallen across road. Road closed in both directions. Might be an hour or 2 before clear.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Tue 02 Jun 2015, 9:23 am

GreenAlias wrote:Monday 1st June, 2015 3:00PM - tree fallen across road. Road closed in both directions. Might be an hour or 2 before clear.

CX practice

Return to “Plan a ride”