Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
.d.

Re: Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Postby .d. » Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

Canuck wrote:Looking like closer to home riding for me.

Sorry to read (and see) that you didn't make it this morning. It turned out I was the only slug in the ride today- HH, Mikeya and Gillies were at the start today, and I'm just trying to think of what would be the opposite of slug (vertebrate? mammal?- not MAMIL!-) because that's what they were this morning- relaxed and fast.

I made the mistake of trying to appear relaxed and fast as well, even though after a week off the bike enjoying the pleasures of the south-east coast I was certain I would be anything but, and sure enough I found myself up Deadman's having to stand up to keep pace with the others and then, after the turn in Whitehorse, needing to relinquish the lead so that I could slip back into the slipstream.

But unfortunately that wasn't enough to compensate,and on the second of the nemesis hills started to feel a little like I imagine a younger person must feel after a hard night of partying and drinking followed by a greasy breakfast. I grunted at Gillies, and dropped back to let the others go ahead. However they took pity on me, and slowed to a pace that showed they cared but nevertheless kept the pressure on me to start to feel better and rejoin- very crafty! Soon the feeling passed (did that mental berocca help?) and I gradually picked up the pace and managed to join back onto the back at a red light. I resisted the temptation to say "I knew that light was going to be red, and slowed to conserve my energy" and just accepted the ignominy of the situation.

From then on it was a great ride, the lack of traffic very much appreciated, the journey enlivened by HH's energetic grumbling about the slight but continuous drizzle that enhanced the experience of the ride for much of the route.

Along Doncaster Road we picked up Southseas, and from then on the five of us rode together. It was a great run of lights- at least three intersections from memory the lights could have gone red on us, but for some reason held on so that we could just get through before they changed. Those included the lights just before the crest of Westfield, luckily.

One of the things I found today was that my current non-lithe non-svelte figure really assisted on the downhills, finding that I could outpace everyone else on the downhills. I regard that as a profound skill, worthy of praise to a far greater extent than some dubious ability to ride fast up hills. As a result today, even though I was intending to just stay within the group, I found myself nevertheless simply rolling past the others so that I was first into Belmore, but surprisingly soon last up Belmore.

In the absence of Outlook I carried out an Outlook-esque charge up the hill to the Balwyn Road lights. No else believed I could make the green...and they were right. I was hoping to compensate for that by hanging behind coming up to the lights at Whithorse Road aiming to accelerate past the others while they were still clipping in. All that plan needed was for the lights to go green...to go green...to go green...Nup, another cunning plan out the window...

Gillies headed off home up Mont Albert Road, Mikeya continued on from Canterbury Road, I was a bit behind, was intending to go home as I had a few things to do, but was worried that HH and Southseas might be waiting for me so that we could choose a cafe (the Maling Room was closed today). So I took a detour via Maling Road, and was glad I did as they were in fact standing there. Thanks for waiting!

I rode off, pointing out an open Bohemia Cafe to the others as I did, and went home. Thanks for a great Labour Day ride- and wasn't it great starting an hour later this morning!
David S

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 14 Mar 2016, 7:14 pm

.d. wrote:
Canuck wrote:Looking like closer to home riding for me.

Sorry to read (and see) that you didn't make it this morning.

:( Alas, I was sorry that I did not get out to ride at all. But thanks for the report - nice to live vicariously :D

.d.

Postby .d. » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

It was a variety-is-the-spice-of-life ride this morning. After the close call to bodily response from yesterday's pace I decided to ride at my own speed to the top of the Canty Hills and then pick up the group there. Nicely timed it was, too, slotting in nicely from a side road without even having to unclip (which would earn me a $425 fine in cycle-friendly NSW).

Up Deadman's at a pace I could handle, but then it was clear that some but not all of the group would get through the green arrow. Edit: not all of the group should have got through, however all but two riders went through anyway. Those two were Bowie and moi.

The cry of "split!" was heard in the group, but the pace didn't seem to slow much. As we went through the next green light I figured that it would be a groupetto of two (and the prospect of riding the route with Gentleman Bowie was not a bad one at all) but Bowie clearly had a very different idea: he was off at rabbit, nay hound pace. At first I stayed with him, the two of us riding together, but then common sense overcame me and I slotted in behind him instead. That was better. Bowie dragged me back to the group in Blackburn. 

Seemingly to celebrate the group coalescing the leaders accelerated hard out of Blackburn, and we found ourselves riding at 33 kmh up the incline. Whooey, looking at the records I haven't gone that fast along there since January 2011!

At the top we slowed to a more normal pace, went along nicely. However leaving Springy2 the leaders must have decided they would like to reprise that heady speed, and so extreme acceleration was experienced up that hill- mid thirties speed, and I surprised myself by hitting a cadence at the time of 115- about 30 more than my more typical whirring away.

As though to compensate, later along in Doncaster Road on a slight downhill, where we normally are sitting on about 45 kmh or so, we were down to 30 kmh. Aah, it's a topsy turvy world...

But normality was resumed on the Belmore Road hill where I was about the slowest up that hill. No regroup today at the top of Belmore, but we caught up to the tail of the group for the last of the ride.

Excellent coffee and good to catch up with the achievements of those who did the 3 peaks ride over the weekend, and overall a very enjoyable ride. Thanks everyone for dragging me around.
David S

PsyberG

Postby PsyberG » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:19 am

with all of the Belmore protagonists present this morning and despite me having dead legs it was on like Donkey Kong!.

Bowi with an early move up beside Bryn and I believe some gentle words of encouragement. I rounded both of them on the lower steppes in my wind-up phase, slowly but surely reeling in those ahead. A menacing shadow loomed from behind me and I feared that I may have expended too much too early. A brief sit and spin once the steepest was behind me saw the shadow loom even larger and fearing a sneaky late attack I figured an early jump was in order, a brief burst of power followed by immense lactic induced pain and negotiating a slower rider before a final kick before the line saw me victorious, only to find the mysterious shadow was someone other than my rivals :D

Gorilla takes home the cookies once again :lol:

Bowi

Postby Bowi » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 4:51 pm

To the victor go the spoils. Re 'gentle words of encouragement...' I was not in the mood today, and on Belmore merely came along side HH to assure him what a lovely morning it was for riding. Footy kicking niggles from Monday had me content to potter up today. We fought each other to go over the line behind each other. Well done Gorilla on a fast pace.
Once again, on the approach to Fintona, I came along side HH to assure him what a lovely morning it was for riding once again. Strangely enough, there was some acceleration from my stead, to make glorious victory on the compensatory incline.

Gorilla 1, Bowi 1, HH 0

HarryHills

Postby HarryHills » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

Recovery day... So I did... The Gorilla didn't believe me, Bowie did up Belmore...but as I always say, you can't win them all.
But it is reassuring to see Gorillas jumping at shadows ... Now how do I reinforce the illusionary shadowy combatant :lol: :lol:
AKA Grande Culo ;)

Bowi

Postby Bowi » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

HarryHills wrote:Recovery day... So I did... The Gorilla didn't believe me, Bowie did up Belmore...but as I always say, you can't win them all.
But it is reassuring to see Gorillas jumping at shadows ... Now how do I reinforce the illusionary shadowy combatant :lol: :lol:

Slept in today, went out with the rabbits, did a PB on Deadmans Rising at 29kmph and 500w instead! Could this open up another points opportunity?
( I wont mention that I got dropped 2 times :oops: before Deadmans, and 1 final time afterward... :oops: )

.d.

Postby .d. » Fri 18 Mar 2016, 7:59 am

Went to AA at 6.00am on the optimistic basis that the rain would stop pretty soon, and it would be a dry ride. Still raining hard when got there, no one else had taken that approach (sensible people), didn't like the look of Canterbury Road in the rain in limited visibility by myself, so went for a bike path/ Boulevards ride instead.
David S

HarryHills

Postby HarryHills » Mon 21 Mar 2016, 9:30 am

Perfect morning to be out, D,Big D and I cruised around at a true reco pace, three or four decided the pace was too slow and disappeared into the distance, Belmore was an easy spin due to the lack of combatants, in fact the Course referee decided that it was a bonus multplier morning - anyone who rode this morning can multiply any win's this week by 2.... results were HH2X2 (4) Bowie DNS Gorilla DNS.. ;) Coffee was so good we had 2! :D :D
AKA Grande Culo ;)

.d.

Postby .d. » Mon 21 Mar 2016, 5:35 pm

HarryHills wrote:Perfect morning to be out, D,Big D and I cruised around at a true reco pace, three or four decided the pace was too slow and disappeared into the distance, Belmore was an easy spin due to the lack of combatants, in fact the Course referee decided that it was a bonus multplier morning - anyone who rode this morning can multiply any win's this week by 2.... results were HH2X2 (4) Bowie DNS Gorilla DNS.. ;) Coffee was so good we had 2! :D :D

Of course, when HH says the three of us cruised around, he means that he and Big D were at the front with me tucked in behind them until finally I found some legs on Doncaster Road.

Back at the cafe it ended up a full contingent of OMRs. We may not be able to pull our turn at the front as strongly as we could once, we sometimes have to leave a little earlier that we used to, we may try but fail to catch the group if we leave slightly late, but our coffee drinking prowess is unquestionable...
David S

Kaz

Postby Kaz » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

After a few weeks off the bike it was a shock to the system doing an MRR this morning.
We picked up a mangy stranger from my street corner and off we went.
Rod set a lovely pace. Not cruisey, but not wiping us out either.
We had a great run of green lights, and got back to the café in time to see a lovely sun rise.
Day light savings must be due to finish soon!

A large group back at the café with a lot of familiar faces. Hair removal seemed to be the topic of the day at our end of the table.

And that was my cross training for the week.
Back to walking for me.

Kaz
Get well soon Angelo

Bowi

Postby Bowi » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 3:00 pm

.d. wrote:... but our coffee drinking prowess is unquestionable...

To you, sir, there is no equal.

Good to get out today after 5 days off, 3 conferencing, and 2 sicking. Just sat in and held on. And I find HH claiming points in his dreams again. The big group of around 30 split and reformed once up Whitehorse. A second split caused by lights atop Westfield did not re- join, HH powered on, and the hapless final six containing the remaining legal contenders pootled in together.
Coffee did not cause discussion on hair removal at our end; i ;) t was far classier than that.

HarryHills

Postby HarryHills » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm

Winners :D :D :D :D
I waited and waited for the Bowie/Gorilla show to crest the rise of Belmore, I was sheparding my mate Steve around the course for his second MRR, just shows how slow the competition has become :o :o
HH 2 X2 (The weekly multiplier from Monday) +2 for sheparding a novice = 6 Bowie 0 Gorilla 0 for poor efforts up Belmore and allowing splits to occour :oops: :oops:
AKA Grande Culo ;)

WasThatGregBackThere

Postby WasThatGregBackThere » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 7:03 am

My first time out for a couple of weeks. Enjoyed a ride with the mice this morning. However, we did have a minor incident of a container of liquid being thrown at the group at 6:10am on Middleborough Rd, just near the entrance to the cemetery at the top of the hill. The offending vehicle was heading in the opposite direction. Fortunately the offender throws like a young child and it missed the riders by about a metre.

killinit

Postby killinit » Tue 05 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

Lovely ride today in the mice, thought I would test the new power meter up Belmore, device is great, the legs not so much. Got crushed by Yuying once again charging up the hill for team Castelli, more training work needed!

My left leg did 51% of the work today.

Return to “Plan a ride”