Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
PsyberG

Re: Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Postby PsyberG » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 11:55 am

HarryHills wrote:Update to results, I was riding next to the course referee who suggested as I had correctly stopped at the lights then Belmore was neutral, I was first over Fintona with Bianchi just behind me.. So technically it was HH 1 Bowie 0 and Gorilla 0 ( but it was a great effort up Belmore)!!!

After blitzing both of you and equaling my PR time I was busy coughing up a lung for Fintona :lol:

Bowi

Postby Bowi » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

Oh no! A PR, and no points! UCI confirmation has just come through:
Gorilla 1, HH 1, Bowi 0
('Belmore neutral', as if. And maybe there was a 'truck' there as well.)

HarryHills

Postby HarryHills » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:00 pm

Well there was a word like truck used when you got the lights but then I did have the ref next to me ;)
AKA Grande Culo ;)

killinit

Postby killinit » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:40 pm

I can confirm sighting HH tearing up Fintona past me!

LatteRider

Re: Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (

Postby LatteRider » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 3:24 pm

Bowi wrote:
roshea wrote:
Bobm wrote:Team FlexorCranks kit order

Hi Roshea,

About time for a new run on the good old stuff? Mines looking a little tired.

Are there any / many other folks interested in ordering more of the current design?

Yes, I am interested. Yes, I like the current design. :)

Don't know whether I ride the MRR enough, but I'm interested.

Bones

Postby Bones » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:22 pm

.d. wrote:The ride started at AA this morning with three of us, but quickly grew so that by Whitehorse Road we were ten. The trouble was that with so few at the start, on a muggy morning this mug found himself as one of the leaders. Back in the good ‘ole days that would have been fine, but at the moment when I am restarting my MRR career, that fine-tuned innate sense of MRR pace is missing- as a result I kept worrying that I was going too fast…no, too slow…no,…

Luckily Mikeya and another rider (Nick?) took control at the turn into Middleborough Road and I was able to relax behind Mikeya and be towed around for the rest of the ride. And a fantastic pace it was too! Both of them kept us going along at a good speed, but one which allowed the group to keep together, so that no regroup was required at Westfield, and only a small one the top of Belmore.

Wheelpower found the pace so wonderful that she found herself needing to let the leaders know that along Doncaster Road. Amusingly the speed was such that her voice didn’t carry all the way to the front and so the leaders just heard something like “…the pace…pace…” and slowed down immediately, albeit with a bit of a groan which conveyed beautifully the unstated question of why someone would be questioning our speed. Quickly we all shouted out “she is saying the pace is perfect!” and with that the beauty of the kinetics resumed.

And so the overwhelming impression of the ride this morning is of a seemingly effortless roll over hill and through valley, a great run of green lights along Doncaster Road allowing us to keep a consistent momentum, the other traffic behaving itself, and the bus lane refreshingly free of the vehicles for which it is intended.

I found myself at the front at the turn into Belmore but soon the natural hegemony reasserted itself with the speedsters (ie, just about everyone else on the ride) quickly overtaking me, although I was pleased that I didn’t simply give up like I usually do on this hill, and kept plugging away. Perhaps a good sign for the future?

My favourite uphill (the stretch from the Belmore KOV to Balwyn Road soon appeared, and another lovely high speed high gear ascent, for once rewarded by a green light at the top.

Another first for me: I managed to climb Fintona without being overtaken by another rider, and then was able to jam the bike back onto the big ring and accelerate to get the forthcoming green light. That meant I was able to arrive at Canty at a time the lights were green. Trouble is, big bank of cars. Thinking too quickly, I decided to go onto the footpath. Immediately decided that was a bad decision- not a good look- and so when I got to Canty I decided to wait for all the cars turning left- which meant that when I finally ventured back on to the road, there was Mikeya again. I could have simply waited, which is what I normally do. Last time I make a decision like that…

Arrived at the cafe to find quite a few there already, and so immediately found myself enveloped in the flowing conversations, which was a great end to a great ride.

Thanks again to BobM, who pointed out at the turn into Whitehorse Road after Deadmans that my rear light wasn’t working (guess who forgot to charge it…) and immediately offered me his spare- much appreciated.

Another warm ride today. big group and we hope to see more of David now he on holidays. He featured prominently in today's Melbourne Broadsheet about the Nylex development . I discuss this topic with him at coffee at it certainly started a spirited explanation from d.
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.

Bobm

Postby Bobm » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 6:52 am

Bones wrote:
.d. wrote:The ride started at AA this morning with three of us, but quickly grew so that by Whitehorse Road we were ten. The trouble was that with so few at the start, on a muggy morning this mug found himself as one of the leaders. Back in the good ‘ole days that would have been fine, but at the moment when I am restarting my MRR career, that fine-tuned innate sense of MRR pace is missing- as a result I kept worrying that I was going too fast…no, too slow…no,…

Luckily Mikeya and another rider (Nick?) took control at the turn into Middleborough Road and I was able to relax behind Mikeya and be towed around for the rest of the ride. And a fantastic pace it was too! Both of them kept us going along at a good speed, but one which allowed the group to keep together, so that no regroup was required at Westfield, and only a small one the top of Belmore.

Wheelpower found the pace so wonderful that she found herself needing to let the leaders know that along Doncaster Road. Amusingly the speed was such that her voice didn’t carry all the way to the front and so the leaders just heard something like “…the pace…pace…” and slowed down immediately, albeit with a bit of a groan which conveyed beautifully the unstated question of why someone would be questioning our speed. Quickly we all shouted out “she is saying the pace is perfect!” and with that the beauty of the kinetics resumed.

And so the overwhelming impression of the ride this morning is of a seemingly effortless roll over hill and through valley, a great run of green lights along Doncaster Road allowing us to keep a consistent momentum, the other traffic behaving itself, and the bus lane refreshingly free of the vehicles for which it is intended.

I found myself at the front at the turn into Belmore but soon the natural hegemony reasserted itself with the speedsters (ie, just about everyone else on the ride) quickly overtaking me, although I was pleased that I didn’t simply give up like I usually do on this hill, and kept plugging away. Perhaps a good sign for the future?

My favourite uphill (the stretch from the Belmore KOV to Balwyn Road soon appeared, and another lovely high speed high gear ascent, for once rewarded by a green light at the top.

Another first for me: I managed to climb Fintona without being overtaken by another rider, and then was able to jam the bike back onto the big ring and accelerate to get the forthcoming green light. That meant I was able to arrive at Canty at a time the lights were green. Trouble is, big bank of cars. Thinking too quickly, I decided to go onto the footpath. Immediately decided that was a bad decision- not a good look- and so when I got to Canty I decided to wait for all the cars turning left- which meant that when I finally ventured back on to the road, there was Mikeya again. I could have simply waited, which is what I normally do. Last time I make a decision like that…

Arrived at the cafe to find quite a few there already, and so immediately found myself enveloped in the flowing conversations, which was a great end to a great ride.

Thanks again to BobM, who pointed out at the turn into Whitehorse Road after Deadmans that my rear light wasn’t working (guess who forgot to charge it…) and immediately offered me his spare- much appreciated.

Another warm ride today. big group and we hope to see more of David now he on holidays. He featured prominently in today's Melbourne Broadsheet about the Nylex development . I discuss this topic with him at coffee at it certainly started a spirited explanation from d.

David always lights up my days with his ride reports, only fair that I help him light the ride.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 11 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

Will there be a Labour Day holiday MRR on Monday? Regular hours or revised? Any other slugs riding?

Kaz

Postby Kaz » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

Canuck wrote:Will there be a Labour Day holiday MRR on Monday? Regular hours or revised? Any other slugs riding?

Not this Slug. Or maybe I could walk there :D .
Get well soon Angelo

.d.

Postby .d. » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 8:49 pm

Canuck wrote:Will there be a Labour Day holiday MRR on Monday? Regular hours or revised? Any other slugs riding?

This slug is looking to ride. Being a very lazy person I would prefer public holiday timing of 7.00am.
David S

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 9:01 pm

.d. wrote:

This slug is looking to ride. Being a very lazy person I would prefer public holiday timing of 7.00am.

I am *hoping* to ride, 7am would work. Apologies in advance if I am too wrecked to actually get out of bed (some days are harder than others depending on how The Boy is sleeping/teething/breathing, etc...).

HarryHills

Postby HarryHills » Sun 13 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

7:00 sounds civilised to me
AKA Grande Culo ;)

Ness

Postby Ness » Sun 13 Mar 2016, 8:53 pm

HarryHills wrote:7:00 sounds civilised to me

I may even be able to make it out on Monday

May have to ride earlier and enjoy multiple coffees so as to converse with such respectable humans

Ness

Always Great Ride, Company and Coffee

mikeya

Postby mikeya » Sun 13 Mar 2016, 9:17 pm

HarryHills wrote:7:00 sounds civilised to me

Haven't posted here for a while.........7am sounds good, but can't stuff around at the other end as need to get to airport
Mike

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:45 am

Looking like closer to home riding for me.

Return to “Plan a ride”