RR: North Road Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Re: RR: North Road Ride

Postby parawolf » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:07 am

Weeeeeee wrote:I heard this arvo that a large glass vase was thrown from a car taking down 12 riders. They got the rego of the car but it turned out to be stolen.
Bricks and glass sound more feasible (cheaper), thankfully I slept in.

Anyone know which stretch of road it was on?

On the Nepean. A post from a mate...
http://htfu.entyr.com/2012/08/1082012.html?m=1
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

Why hasn't this made the news? Kids throw bricks from a freeway overpass and it makes the 6 o'clock news... but this reckless act which endangered plenty of lives hasn't caused boo in the mainstream media?

vidman

Postby vidman » Thu 27 Sep 2012, 7:05 am

Well that hurt! First nrr in 3 years, windy as F, swallowed a fly at mentone as I was rolling turns and was then , coughing and spluttering caught in the back surgey half.
So, do you like... STUFF?

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

Gee, this thread has got some cobwebs on it!
Anyone shed any light on the prang this morning requiring police and ambulances on the way into Sandringham???
Wasn't on the ride myself, but apparently pretty bad from the description of a mate who lives in the house that the crash happened in front of...sounds like it was about NRR time :shock:
It just takes 1 idiot...

kippa

Postby kippa » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:00 pm

also saw the ambulance. was about at NRR time as you say. Ambulance was in a hurry to get to hospital (sirens and speeding) so probably serious. Hope that the person is going to be ok.

Mikeyp

Postby Mikeyp » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:31 pm

Happened just in front of me this morning, but didn't actually see what happened because there were cars in front, I was riding about 10 metres back from a group of 4 or 5 guys, who suddenly started slowing down, they all stopped to help, so there really was nothing I could do, but they time I got there, one of them was already on the floor calling ambulance, there was a driver of car stopped in front of the cyclist, looking quite concerned, so unfortunately might have involved him somehow.

However, it was not part of the NRR, shortly before it happened, 2 guys went past in Aero position and pretty sure it was the 2nd guy of those 2 that went down.

And like this thread, I have some cobwebs on me as well.

DKR

Postby DKR » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:49 pm

Mikeyp wrote:Happened just in front of me this morning, but didn't actually see what happened because there were cars in front, I was riding about 10 metres back from a group of 4 or 5 guys, who suddenly started slowing down, they all stopped to help, so there really was nothing I could do, but they time I got there, one of them was already on the floor calling ambulance, there was a driver of car stopped in front of the cyclist, looking quite concerned, so unfortunately might have involved him somehow.

However, it was not part of the NRR, shortly before it happened, 2 guys went past in Aero position and pretty sure it was the 2nd guy of those 2 that went down.

And like this thread, I have some cobwebs on me as well.

Yes you have, though you have been spotted out there over recent weeks,

Super E

Postby Super E » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm

I believe that it was Leigh from Hampton Cycles. Serious but stable.
Thoughts with him and his family
Super
Super Elliotts. 100 yrs of Aussie Cycling history

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

Super E wrote:I believe that it was Leigh from Hampton Cycles. Serious but stable.
Thoughts with him and his family
Super

"stable in ICU with broken wrist, finger, T8 vertebrate, jaw, 3 less teeth, liver split, but in good spirits"

https://twitter.com/LeighSchill/status/ ... 2686492672
Office use only.

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:31 pm

Leigh hit the back of a ute that was standing in a no standing zone and mashed the back of the ute and pushed it forward a couple of metres.
No excuse for the ute to be stopped in a no standing zone.
Maybe Leigh should look where he's riding - though can imagine that if he was drafting someone and they moved to pass the stationary ute that it could have come as bit of surprise.

Ah well.
At least if you're going to have an accident - hit a car and get the TAC coverage!
He's currently trying to overcome pneumonia - but he's a fighter so I hear.
It just takes 1 idiot...

Wheels Too

Postby Wheels Too » Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm

Hasn't change much although the stragglers trying to hang on are even worse

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

Wheels Too wrote:Hasn't change much although the stragglers trying to hang on are even worse

There are a number of groups doing that loop each morning now which makes it difficult to ascertain who is who and yes, some people bite off more than they can chew, which can be very dangerous....

I did one a few days back and it was a dog's breakfast.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

Ritch

Postby Ritch » Fri 14 Feb 2014, 2:55 pm

Ride in the working group... much safer and not a waste of time like sitting in. Agree it's a dog's breakfast in the middle of the bunch (though my dog always held its line when eating its breakfast).

Ritch

kippa

Postby kippa » Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

There is a guy on the 6am with a yellow hyster jersey that is repeatedly moving around to the front at the red lights and dropping through the bunch like a brick once the pace goes on again. Annoying and dangerous. Please, if you are not fit enough to keep up then doing this is not the solution. Just let yourself drop off the back and do some solo tt efforts until you get fitter.

rocketmanrick

Postby rocketmanrick » Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

Anyone else here do 5.45 NRR long and noticed over the last 6 months or so it's become a single file smash fest rather then a good solid rolling turns, wait for everyone hit out ? What's up with that ? Suspect is "drop downs" from the 6.00 bunch ?

Return to “Plan a ride”