RR: North Road Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Weeeeeee

Re: RR: North Road Ride

Postby Weeeeeee » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

DKR wrote:
Dilettante wrote:.......Classic dropping point is the Mentone Hotel.

One of a number :)

and yeah...master them one at a time, took me a while before I could keep up on the Half Moon Bay hill...and sometimes I still cant! (but depends how cheeky I was being at Ricketts Point) :twisted:
It just takes 1 idiot...

parkerc

Postby parkerc » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:35 pm

Weeeeeee wrote: (and yes :twisted: that means you were the debris this morning...but that's OK). It might seem like the group is motoring away from you, but there is a big compression of the group near the top and then it's an easy cruise down the other side (or an opportunity to catch and rejoin if you really did find reverse gear).

Thanks for the feedback - yes I was well and truely part of the debris this morning. I have done the Beach Road inclines in the past with the Monday recovery group and weekend groups etc., and coped ok. Basically think I spent all my meal tickets hanging on for dear life down Nepean Hwy. Practice will make perfect (or as Homer Simpson says...if at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence that you tried and give up ! :P ) Anyway i did get plenty of BR Strava PB's this morning so can at least be happy about that...

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:50 pm

parkerc wrote:Anyway i did get plenty of BR Strava PB's this morning so can at least be happy about that...

and that's what it's all about...knowing your limits and giving them a good nudge once in a while ;)
It just takes 1 idiot...

killinit

Postby killinit » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:23 am

Going into the 6am NRR I had been given bad reports by a couple of people but thought I would check it out myself as I’m in need of some hard training rides.

Showed up early for a change and by 6am there was a group of 30+ riders that headed off. The start was civil then after about 2 minutes it got very surgy with everyone seemingly desperate to be at front half of the pack overtaking with little regard for their fellow cyclist.

Found out why after about 5 minutes we hit a light that had been orange for a while and clearly going red very soon. I was close to the back and called stopping to those around but nobody was having a bar of that and I watched in disbelief as half of them ran the first light red then the light immediately following was very red and again they just surged on through. It was so bad that the cross street had their green light and there were still plenty of cyclists in the intersection causing the driver to get on the horn.

With this sort of stuff going on I know why cyclists have a bad reputation in that area, really disappointing to see. I’ve done the 6am once before and it didn’t seem nearly as bad – maybe due to crit season still in effect? Can anyone comment on what the 5:45 is like by comparison? At this stage I wouldn’t be keen to do it again which is a shame because it is the intensity level I’m looking for.

Spent the rest of the ride solo trying to keep the intensity up by chasing but not joining in any groups and just trying to push the heart rate up which was pretty enjoyable in the end.

It was a really nice morning out there with very little wind so all was not lost.

Ritch

Postby Ritch » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:57 am

killinit wrote:...
With this sort of stuff going on I know why cyclists have a bad reputation in that area, really disappointing to see. I’ve done the 6am once before and it didn’t seem nearly as bad – maybe due to crit season still in effect? Can anyone comment on what the 5:45 is like by comparison? At this stage I wouldn’t be keen to do it again which is a shame because it is the intensity level I’m looking for.

Spent the rest of the ride solo trying to keep the intensity up by chasing but not joining in any groups and just trying to push the heart rate up which was pretty enjoyable in the end.

It was a really nice morning out there with very little wind so all was not lost.

0545h is better, but still sees some bad behaviour around people not wanting to be dropped on the way down. Given that the Nepean Hwy leg is quite slow, there's no need to worry about being dropped - it's straightforward to catch up. Of course, there are a large number of people that want to be in the front, however, more often than not, they are not "in the front", they are "behind" the working group. 0600h is about as quick as any bunch ride anywhere, given the names of some of its participants, of course that means more people behind are on or beyond their limits, which is when accidents can occur.

If you want a good workout, ride in the working group. If not strong enough, then it is a bit on the dangerous side and perhaps some solo intensity work is a better option anyway.

Ritch

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

+1 ditch. Wheelsucking that circus is a mugs game. Matt if you want I'll pm you details of our grupetto. Same course but much more classy.
Just shut up and ride!

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Fri 15 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

OK thread resurrection time and some hypocrisy given my previous post. :lol: Started off down the highway with a couple of mates, hopped onto the Bentleigh Group Ride, rolled some turns and when they fell apart into a confused mess jumped onto the Friday Church ride as it came past.

The ole Friday churchie does get up to a decent pace with three TT bikes sporting disc wheels, aero helmets and some serious engines on the front. Saw some decent stretches in the low 50's.

Complete with very pretty led lights down the seat stays.
Just shut up and ride!

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

brycerider wrote:Complete with very pretty led lights down the seat stays.

They should test those Christmas Trees for banned substances I reckon ;)
It just takes 1 idiot...

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

I would think so and they might get their colours co-ordinated too.
Just shut up and ride!

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:38 pm

brycerider wrote:I would think so and they might get their colours co-ordinated too.

synchronized to music being broadcast on an FM transmitter (techno music of course)
It just takes 1 idiot...

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Could the pink quad tandem with the boombox keep up?
Just shut up and ride!

MickyC

Postby MickyC » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

I heard there were some dramas on the NRR this morning - something about a car hurling objects at the bunch.

Anyone know more???

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:20 pm

MickyC wrote:I heard there were some dramas on the NRR this morning - something about a car hurling objects at the bunch.

Anyone know more???

A car was showering the group with gifts... bricks and glass, dunno what wedding anniversary those are for though...
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

JAC

Postby JAC » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

parawolf wrote:
MickyC wrote:I heard there were some dramas on the NRR this morning - something about a car hurling objects at the bunch.

Anyone know more???

A car was showering the group with gifts... bricks and glass, dunno what wedding anniversary those are for though...

Traditionally, "pottery" (bricks?) for either 8th or 9th anniversary, and "crystal" for 15th anniversary. The "modern tradition" puts crystal for the 3rd anniversary.

I hope no-one was hurt? What a horrible incident.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

I heard this arvo that a large glass vase was thrown from a car taking down 12 riders. They got the rego of the car but it turned out to be stolen.
Bricks and glass sound more feasible (cheaper), thankfully I slept in.

Anyone know which stretch of road it was on?
It just takes 1 idiot...

Return to “Plan a ride”