RR: North Road Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Tim_mtb

Re: RR: North Road Ride

Postby Tim_mtb » Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Ouch! 'Nuff said...I've lost a lot of fitness and forgotten how much the NRR could hurt! But I've finally made my return to it this morning. I'll be back on Thursday and hopefully it won't take me too long till I can hang on till Mordi :oops:

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

snuck out this morning. Rolled up to North Road, looked like a big bunch for 5:45am so I rolled past at 5:44am thinking they'd catch me.
I passed a lot of small bunches that had made an early start on the way to Mordi and even found MikeyP lurking on Nepean just short of Mordi.
We rolled around the roundabout for the home stretch and the Loco bunch were just putting themselves together so we joined in.
Mikey cheekily pushed into the engine and went round a few times, but I hung back as one of Loco guys positioning himself at the back of the engine and was calling out each person by name to come over (Mikey just got called out as "man in black" :P) hehehe.

Good hit out and topped off with a motorbike riding through the red pedestrian lights at Flinders Street and then a pedestrian crossing in front of me against a red light as I was starting off. :?

(so technically...I only saw the NRR sitting in the service lane at North Road...never saw them again).
It just takes 1 idiot...

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

Due to softness of my riding buddies I tagged along on the back of the 6am this morning. Well strung out down the highway and the usual split at the lights saw the pace upped to get back on. Once back on the accordion was in full effect.

Solid tail wind after the turn but tired legs and lack of motivation resulted in dropping off to solo back at a steady tempo. Need another coffee and its only 9.15 :?
Just shut up and ride!

bodie

Postby bodie » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

Did the 6:00am this morning. Was expecting a nice recovery roll around. Definitely wasn't with a 42kph average for the return from Mordy. How rides change over time.
Made a good jump up in the rankings for the Strava BP sprint. Hoping to use Bryce as a good leadout man and jump into the top 20 over the coming months :P

DKR

Postby DKR » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

bodie wrote:Did the 6:00am this morning. Was expecting a nice recovery roll around. Definitely wasn't with a 42kph average for the return from Mordy. How rides change over time.
Made a good jump up in the rankings for the Strava BP sprint. Hoping to use Bryce as a good leadout man and jump into the top 20 over the coming months :P

Well if it's a "nice recovery roll around" you're looking for on a Friday Bodie there's a smallish 5:45 group that delivers this exactly. Sans Strava BP sprint :)

Dilettante

Postby Dilettante » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

DKR wrote:Well if it's a "nice recovery roll around" you're looking for on a Friday Bodie there's a smallish 5:45 group that delivers this exactly. Sans Strava BP sprint :)

Good to hear from you DKR.

Apropros of nothing much, yesterday's 5:45 went through the single lane lumpy bits after Charman Rid without discernably slowing what was a fast pace - resulting in no surges and no traffic issues. Novel experience.

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

bodie wrote:Did the 6:00am this morning. Was expecting a nice recovery roll around. Definitely wasn't with a 42kph average for the return from Mordy. How rides change over time.

Bodie maybe next week I will help you out for BP glory. :P

The pace is quite random it would seem although the muppets are there whatever is happening :lol:

5.45 is just too early for me as it means out of bed before 0500 which is wrong.
Just shut up and ride!

bodie

Postby bodie » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

DKR: May just see you for a NRRR one of these Fridays.

Bryce: If you can give me a good launch I might just do it :lol:

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

bodie wrote:DKR: May just see you for a NRRR one of these Fridays.

Bryce: If you can give me a good launch I might just do it :lol:

You might need me now...Bryce's form is old...mine is current :P
It just takes 1 idiot...

bodie

Postby bodie » Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

Yes I saw your equaling effort a couple of days ago. Well done to you sir 8)

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:41 pm

If I ever get the timings right, i'll willingly be your lead out man... Managed a 58km top speed thru there recently, and was on my own (you just have to have a go)
Socially Awkward & Surgically Incisive...

parkerc

Postby parkerc » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

Jeepers....did my first Wednesday morning NRR today, in the 6am group. Was obviously lulled into a false sense of security with the guidelines of 'easy out' and 'moderately hard' back. Seemed to be a very hard pace (40+kph) down to Mordi with multiple splits due to lights etc. Funnily enough all split groups seemed to come back together just as we arrived at the roundabout turning point. At this point, the pace was ramped up again and 50+ kph was had on the run out of Mordi. The first sighting of any sort of incline saw me dropped off the back like brick :? . Simply can't imagine what the Tuesdays and Thursday smashfests are like.
Thankfully I picked up a couple of stragglers (fellow dropp-ies?) along the way and a moderately hard pace (for me at least) was set thru to Cafe Racer. Strava "Mordi to St. Kilda BP" reading of 36.5kph.
Moral of Story...whenever I feel like I am travelling OK, do the NRR 6.00am group for a harsh reality check.

Dilettante

Postby Dilettante » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

parkerc wrote: The first sighting of any sort of incline saw me dropped off the back like brick :? . Simply can't imagine what the Tuesdays and Thursday smashfests are like.

You'll get over the incline with practice. Classic dropping point is the Mentone Hotel.

Tuesday and Thursday 5:45 are similar, but usually with a more organised fast return from Mordi. 6.00am can be chaotic.

DKR

Postby DKR » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

Dilettante wrote:.......Classic dropping point is the Mentone Hotel.

One of a number :)

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

Dilettante wrote:
parkerc wrote: The first sighting of any sort of incline saw me dropped off the back like brick :? . Simply can't imagine what the Tuesdays and Thursday smashfests are like.

You'll get over the incline with practice. Classic dropping point is the Mentone Hotel.

Tuesday and Thursday 5:45 are similar, but usually with a more organised fast return from Mordi. 6.00am can be chaotic.

Keeping that in mind...Mentone Hotel is the place to watch out for people coming out of the bunch ahead of you, stay alert for people swerving at the last minute to avoid these people or hitting brakes etc.
I feel the best strategy for either this incline or the Charman Road incline is to either be on the front...or if that is not possible, sit on the back and let them get a gap on you so you have more warning/space to pick your way around the "debris" flying out the back (and yes :twisted: that means you were the debris this morning...but that's OK). It might seem like the group is motoring away from you, but there is a big compression of the group near the top and then it's an easy cruise down the other side (or an opportunity to catch and rejoin if you really did find reverse gear).
It just takes 1 idiot...

Return to “Plan a ride”