RR: North Road Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
twowheels

RR: North Road Ride

Postby twowheels » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 10:35 am

5:45 bunch
Monday: joins with 6am bunch
Tues: easy out, hard back
Wed: easy out and back
THurs: easy out, hard back
Fri: joins with 6am bunch

6:00 bunch
Mon: easy out and back
Tues: hard out and back
Wed: easy out, "moderately" hard back
Thurs: Hard out and back
Fri: easy out and back
Last edited by twowheels on Sat 10 Jul 2010, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Socially Awkward & Surgically Incisive...

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:06 am

Edit that post, I wouldn't called Wednesday "hard" by comparison to the Thursday sessions, as people might equate the two working sessions. Wednesday i'd call Moderate.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:13 am

parawolf wrote:Edit that post, I wouldn't called Wednesday "hard" by comparison to the Thursday sessions, as people might equate the two working sessions. Wednesday i'd call Moderate.

The pace for the return on wednesdays has been almost the same as that for tue/thur. A swell as that more people get dropped so there are likely to be more gaps to bridge if you are near the back.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:17 am

PiledHigher wrote:The pace for the return on wednesdays has been almost the same as that for tue/thur. As well as that more people get dropped so there are likely to be more gaps to bridge if you are near the back.

My experience with the Wednesday (05:45 most notably) was that they are easier than the Tuesday/Thursday. Having said that, I have noticed a speed increase in Tuesday/Thursday recently which could be a Winter/Summer thing.

Perhaps Sette should weigh in on this one too?

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:33 am

OK edited
Socially Awkward & Surgically Incisive...

Tomace

Postby Tomace » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:40 am

parawolf wrote:I have noticed a speed increase in Tuesday/Thursday recently which could be a Winter/Summer thing.

Perhaps Sette should weigh in on this one too?

Until today I had only ever done one Tues/Thurs ride. It was a 6:00am Tuesday some time ago and it was bloody fast (I remember looking down and noticing that we were doing 60km/h), and I got dropped as soon as we went around the roundabout and into a moderate headwind. This morning I did the 5:45 and I managed to hold on without too much trouble, so that would suggest that the 5:45 ride is noticeably easier, but then again there was very little wind this morning, and my fitness has improved since my last attempt, so perhaps there isn't too much difference. I did notice that I rolled into Cafe Racer at about 6:45 (which might have been a minute or two after the rest of the bunch I was riding with, because I turned off the gas just under a kilometre from Racer), and I think the 6:00am riders rocked up at about 6:55, so they probably only gained at most around 5 minutes on the 5:45am bunch, which over 36km equates to an average speed difference of about 3km/h. On those numbers I would say that the 5:45am bunch is not that much slower than the 6:00am bunch, but I am loath to make generalisations based on a sample size of 1 1/2.
Halfway between the gutter and the cars.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 11:48 am

i've only done wednesday twice (05:45 starts) and I easily cruised through. Tuesday and Thursdays (05:45 starts) I suffer and the longers i've been apart of the main group is Hampton St.

darkie

Postby darkie » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 1:08 pm

I always found 5:45 Tue & Thur, and 6:00 Wed to be similar rides, except you get a sleep in on Wednesday.... Comfortable down, pacey on the return....
Dancing on the Pedals of Life!

melb_biker

Keep North Road 5:45 Safe Please

Postby melb_biker » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 5:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm not a regular here, but was surprised when I stumbled across this forum, with a thread specifically on a ride I have been doing now for a couple of years: The North Road Ride, originally the 6am but now the 5:45.

I think the 5:45am option on Tuesdays and Thursdays is a more organised safer alternative than the "hour of power" at 6am. The group slots nicely into "two a breast", and there are rolling turns off the front to keep the group moving at a steady pace after reaching the turn back to St Kilda.

6am however has none of the afore mentioned organisation, it is every man for himself. However this is not a critisism, simply a statement of fact.

My point is this. I enjoy the 5:45am option because of these key differences. I do from time to time like to test my nerve at 6am, but I need to be in the mood. Of late the "North Road Ride", escpecially the 5:45am option has become more popular, and I think this is great! Come along and have fun! I hope you enjoy the hit out as much as me...

... However, we need to keep this ride what it is. Organised and safe. Maybe I'm more sensitive than others, but I have noticed of late more and more (for want of a better word) "silly" things happening in the bunch.

I hate to put a negative spin on what looks like such a positive thread, and I hate to sound like I'm raving, but I want this ride to be preserved for what it is (plus I'm a little frustrated after this mornings events).

Below are listed a few simple things that may help new comers, and anyone else interested in maintaining this great bunch ride.

** I usually sit front quarter but this morning I was chatting to some mates near the rear of the group. If you are at the rear, expect that if the bunch is big, it is likely it will be split by a red light at some point on the way down. Please stop! Work with the guys around you to catch up. This morning I witnessed two guys not too far after we left off run a clear red just to stay in touch, and just about get cleaned up. There were others too. Have these guys forgotten the Hell Ride innocent already! You just never know whats going to happen at a red.

** Don't cross the guy or girls wheel in front of you. This means don't ride past the wheel you are following. This is how you will bring yourself down, and probably about 5 others depending on when you decide to do this.

** On the way back, it can get tough. But just remember, when you are badly fatigued you are more likely to come down. There is no shame at all in having to pull out because you can't keep up. Please don't try and hang on at all costs. It may not feel like it to you, but you are probably peadally the wrong cadence, not looking where you should,and swerving a little. In bunch riding, correct decision making about your own limits is as much for the safety of the person next you as your own. Pull away in a safe and controlled manner. And have another crack at holding on longer next time.

** Don't try and pick up ground on the bunch by passing on the inside. Even if there is heaps of space, remeber that the inside line will not be expecting you there.

** Let someone in. It's not the end of the world if you lose one spot on the way down. They may even return the favour sometime.

** Be friendly. There is so much arrogance and elitism in this "clicky" sport already, that we don't need to foster it by not saying hi back to the person next to you when they do.

I may have said to much here on what is otherwise a very friendly, fun organised and safe ride. But I just had to get a few little things off my chest that had been annoying me.

Thanks

Seeyou out there.

bodie

Re: Keep North Road 5:45 Safe Please

Postby bodie » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 5:58 pm

melb_biker wrote:Hi All,

I'm not a regular here, but was surprised when I stumbled across this forum, with a thread specifically on a ride I have been doing now for a couple of years: The North Road Ride, originally the 6am but now the 5:45.
Seeyou out there.

Hey melb_biker. Welcome aboard. What kit and ride are you on. I will be sure to say 'hello' on Tuesday.

BTW great advice above. :D

thanks, bodie.

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 6:02 pm

Nice to have another NRR regular on the forum. And a sane sounding one to boot.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who despairs at all the points you made above! :D

(my hubby and I wear the Moonee Valley Animal Hospital kit and do Tues/Thurs 5:45am most weeks, and sometimes Fridays too)

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 6:05 pm

darkie wrote:I always found 5:45 Tue & Thur, and 6:00 Wed to be similar rides, except you get a sleep in on Wednesday.... Comfortable down, pacey on the return....

Totally agree.
Every week is a little different because of wind, position in the bunch etc. But basically Wed 6am is the same as Tues/Thurs 5:45am.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 6:07 pm

$@%#$@%@#

Was gonna fixie down tomorrow morning, but my boss has called a 7:30am meeting.... :shock:
Reaching new levels of softness!

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 6:07 pm

Snuffy wrote:$@%#$@%@#

Was gonna fixie down tomorrow morning, but my boss has called a 7:30am meeting.... :shock:

backpack.....what's your problem?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 07 Dec 2006, 6:30 pm

I cross paths with you guys at Swanston/Bourke at 7:15am on fast days.... that'd leave me ~15 minutes to shower/change, which would be fine.... except that tomorrow isn't a fast day.. and I don't make it to the end like you guys...

:(
Reaching new levels of softness!

Return to “Plan a ride”