Werribee biking - local knowledge?

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Marx

Werribee biking - local knowledge?

Postby Marx » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:57 pm

Hi all, just back from a ride out to Werribee. Was sussing out an interesting bike friendly route from the end of the Bay trail out west, where it 'ends' at Skeleton creek/Cheetham wetlands.
I rode up Skeleton creek & then hit Hacketts Rd to dive into that loveliness that is the muddy roads of agricultural Werribee South (Melbourne's own little bit of Roobaix, without the cobbles).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1690929164

Got a couple of questions about, what looks like, recent path infrastructure changes down that way:

Looking at maps afterwards there seems to be a gravel road/path/trail (?) that continues south of Skeleton creek, marked as 'South Saltworks Moat' on Google maps, which skirts away from Sanctuary Lakes & goes all the way to the Point Cook homestead. Is this path traffic-able by bike? Aerial view shows gates. Are they locked? Are we not to trespass?

Also, on the Fed trail, recent changes along Sneydes Rd into Hoppers Lane, a Fed Trail sign pointing west along Sneydes Rd says "Western Ring Rd 14.5kms". Is that right? If I take that route will it get me to the Western Ring Road in 14.5kms?

Sure I could always go out there & see for myself, but being a little 'time poor' at the moment, it's at least an hour to get myself out there even before I poke about & get lost & found.

Thanks for your input.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Ritch

Re: Werribee biking - local knowledge?

Postby Ritch » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 4:31 pm

It looks like you took the route that is 14.5km to WRR. As for south of Cheetham wetlands, strava heatmap indicates you probably can't do it. You can at least get to Sanctuary Lakes, then cut through to Saltwater Blvd and further down to the homestead road.

Ritch

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 5:24 pm

Oh yeah, riding through Sancturay Lakes is an option to get down to Point Cook Homestead, but those roads: bottom of Point Cook Rd & Avaiation Rd takes a bit of traffic with no shoulder, so I would like to avoid that if I could.
I saw that Strava Heatmaps had no activity in the salt flats, but there's been quite a bit of development around there & was hoping for something new to connect the dots.
I'm always a bit weary with path related signage, as they're usually vandalised or might be spun around which could lead me off on a wild goose chase (without the goose).

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 10:29 pm

Here is a ride that I did a few years ago. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14973569

A U3A ride. We are quite leisurely on our rides. ;)

Some of the stuff through Sanctuary Lakes may be bizarre because it was under construction and we got lost a few times.

The roads then were quite hospitable.

Hope that it helps.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:59 am

Marx,

I've done loops around Werribee South occasionally. No traffic lights. Very few riders. No hills. After rain the roads can be caked in mud due to tractors/trucks.

Matt

https://www.strava.com/activities/487605058

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 6:23 pm

OK.

Return to “Plan a ride”